Where do you find your cheap flights?

Are you an Alaska Mileage Plan member? If you purchase a ticket from their website and the price drops more than $10 you may claim the difference as a credit for a future ticket. Our neighbors got their tickets from PDX to Kauai a couple of months ago for April and so far they have been able to claim a $60 credit for each ticket. The details are listed under "low price guarantee" on the Alaska site. Perhaps Hawaiian Airlines has a similar deal.

Last edited:
Wow Allegiant does look cheap right now if it works for you.

Be a little careful with Alaska-- I think all their direct flights From Honolulu to LAX are operated by American Air (partner). Not a problem, except the low-price guarantee won't apply unless operated by Alaska itself.

Last edited:
Are you on the BI? That may be your issue right there too... Direct flights to the mainland... yikes... I WISH we did direct flights when we go to the islands... but that would easily put it in the $600 range for us (Yep, PDX is Portland... we've also flown from Seattle--which was a huge PITA.) Seems all our Portland flights take us to San Francisco.... I am wondering if in the reverse, Hawaii-San Fran-LAX or smaller airport might be cheaper, and that 2nd flight would just be a hopper. I wish you luck!!

I'm in Honolulu, so a bigger, busier airport. yeah, direct flights are more expensive, but with the 2 kids, I can't imagine switching. My kids don't even sit still in a movie. A 5-hr flight from Hawaii is already pushing it :)

So we're now considering flying into LAX, and flying out of San Diego. We will stay in Anaheim til thursday,drive to Legoland, do the park, stay in the hotel for 2 nights and do San Diego zoo on Friday.
Not sure how the one-way tickets will affect the flight costs.

Considering how much I hate lax, I think this is a good plan. That way your time actually spent at lax is just getting off the plane and getting out of it. Still wishing you luck!

LOL, my friend said something around the same line. She said San Diego sounds much less crowded.

The only downfall is that the flights to Honolulu are at like 9am. I was hoping we could take our time that morning and spend some time at the resort (we will be staying at Legoland Hotel for 2 nights) since both of those nights we won't be getting back til about 6pm. I could add an extra day in the hotel but that's like another $300!!

Kayak doesn't list southwest flights, and they're usually the cheapest. Kayak is great because you can just set up an alert and you'll get emailed when prices change/if they change. HipMunk also does this, though I like Kayak better. Also check flights in an "incognito" browser or clear your history and cookies. Many websites store your browsing information, so airlines know what tickets you’re interested in purchasing when you return to the site. By clearing your browser’s cookies and cache, you can make yourself appear as a first-time visitor to the site.

Interesting! Never thought of clearing the browser's cache before checking again. I'll try it.

You all have such great advice! Luckily I'm still 8 months out so I have time. I booked our Legoland hotel today though! and I booked Park Vue Inn last month. Slowly but surely getting things done. oh! I cleaned off my desk and found a LL kids free coupon from McDonalds mixed in my some papers. It expires in April and tickets will be good one year from purchase so I'll be buying those before those tickets expire. Not relevant to this thread at all but I'm stoked to find the coupon and had to share somewhere :)

Not only does San Diego sound less crowded... LAX is a pit... granted I have only been there once in the last 5 years, but it was so horrible I won't go back! I Clorox wiped the seats in the gate waiting area... nasty... oh and you are segregated in "pods" basically... our gate area had a McDonalds and a newspaper shop... that's it... for our almost 2 hour wait (security was faster than we expected) I had a little one bored to tears. Now we only fly into SNA (adorable, clean) or LGB (teeny tiny--think Lihue airport on Kauai). I saw Alaska was having a flash sale... but I think its only for March. I am sure what you want is just around the corner. Another thought I had... what days are you flying? I have always found Tuesday is a cheap day to fly in/out... we are going to Fort Lauderdale during a prime spring break week, and flying on a Tuesday our tix were $323 each--all the way from Portland!

It just dawned on me you are going in October too! I totally scored on our plane tickets... I had enough miles for 50% off the fare, and got each ticket for $132 with taxes and fees :) The best I have ever done without miles was $59 each way pp on jet blue... so I was thrilled!

Wow $59! that's fantastic!
yeah October! But early in Oct, I want to leave on the 2nd at night to get there early Saturday morning (the 3rd). DD attends private school and they do keep track of absences, so we are going when she has Fall Break. DS doesn't have a break but he's in preschool. I have no problem pulling him out for one week :) So we are limited in choices and the dates aren't really flexible. Oh well. We gotta do what we gotta do and just pay whatever I guess. better than NOT going right? :)

Last edited:
DD is at a charter school... they do track absences but are pretty lenient in that most anything can be construed as educational--even Disney! And on the flights, there are some pluses to just being 1 state away from the Happiest Place on Earth!

You may try www.cheapoairlines.com. Great rates, packages, plans. but beware.... for the best seat in the house, it is not in the plane. It is out on the wing. Honestly, didn't think it true, until I looked up in the sky one day, and thought what on earth? What is that. I so much as called the airline,and wasinformed that is their ultimate economy fare. You get strapped into the top of the wing. Sorry, but this trip, no complimentary drink or honey roasted peanuts. That is only for those that fly on the second least expensive seat category, which is in their cargo section. Yep, you might be sandwiched between a shipment of melons from Ecuador and melamine novelty dinnerware for Target, but hey, if you want it really cheap, and not nearly as cold or damp, what more can you ask for? No, really man!

I always use Kayak and set up to receive an alert (I do every day, but you can do weekly.....I'm afraid I will miss something that way).
When you buy through them it is directly through the airline. It is just a good site to see them all listed.
DS and DDIL are going to HI in June. I had an alert on for them for months. The price from Phoenix was around $550 and then one day it dropped over $100, so DS jumped on it and bought their tickets. Nonstop on USAir.

I flew Alaska Airlines last December to Maui from Sacramento for $230. We made our reservations around 6-8 weeks before leaving. If I remember correct all of the deals are posted on Tuesday and Wednesday then go up on the weekend (because most people book flights on the weekends).

I have also done Priceline name your price for flights and rental cars. It's a little nervous doing it for flights since you give up control of which flights you take. I would do it again if I couldn't find a price on a flight that was reasonable :-)

Aloha. We fly to Kona several times a year. But mostly from Northern California SF Bay Area. Flights to Hawaii are very competitive between Hawaiian and Alaska. Sign up to receive emails for both. Usually good deals can be found any time outside of the summer months and the fall/winter holidays. I think fares from Southern California are usually a little bit more. I would be careful with AlLigent . They have been known to abruptly stop routes if the run is not profitable. Alaska will refund the difference if the fares drop before you fly. They put it in a "wallet" to use towards future flights. Best fares usually come out 2 -21/2 months out. Both will offer sales for October. Good luck.

crap. Looks like prices are going up. We're still about 6 month out.

You guys think prices may drop? We don't travel enough for me to know the pricing trends :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter