Where do you draw the line at being too cheap?

Let me see... product dating, timed showers, freezing in your house, and OMG! let's not forget TRASH PICKING! Um... That would be a yes.

You're over the edge, my friend. Way over.

hope you meant that.:thumbsup2

I'm flattered:hug:

And this is me thinking I am not doing enough! lol Ofcourse I am 24, young and can deal with beans and rice now. I plan to retire at the tender age of 45. I'll grin and bear it now. Yay Tightwads!:banana:

Ooh, ooh, one of the other things I do is save the slivers of soap and put them in a jar. I fill them up with water and the soap melts and creates liquid soap.

OT: Has anyone seen those feed the pig commercials (feedthepig.org). Too funny

Also, my kids have their own bathroom but I find I can't leave bottles of shampoo and conditioner in there. Whatever's in there they use! I keep small sample size bottles and refill them every day (diluted 1-3), and they still go through that like crazy! Kind of like housekeeping at a hotel, fresh toiletreis daily! Beats using an 18 ounce bottle of shampoo in 3 days!
Now that's a good idea! My kids also go through shampoo like it's water!

Save yourself the potential Podiatry bills later and don't hand down those shoes, just like you want proper support for your feet, your kids growing feet need proper support too. Each of us walks differently and shoes "break into" the form of the foot that wears them, when younger sibling wears used shoes the support may not be correct for their growing bones.
I agree with this to some extent -- common sense has to come into play too: I have no problem handing down church shoes, which are barely scuffed on the bottoms, to my younger daughter and niece. However, I wouldn't expect them to wear half-worn out tennis shoes for their everyday school shoes. But I would send that half-worn pair to summer camp as the child's "emergency shoes" to be worn in case the "good shoes" get wet.

Warning...sensitive issue coming up... I just recently ran across a website where it is explained how to make your own sanitary napkins. Plenty of info also on how to store and launder used ones for reuse. Man, the things only cost about $3 a bag, I can surely spare that on myself once a month.

That's TOO THRIFTY for me... :sad2:
I use the Keeper, which cost me $30 about ten years ago. It's considerably cheaper than sanitary supplies, but that's not why I use it. I don't like pads, and tampons HURT. The Keeper doesn't hurt, and it doesn't have to be changed as often.

I had three teenage girls at home....and me....well - we went through napkins at an amazing rate....seems like I was always buying them...one day the cashier who always checked me out....said....What in the blazes do you do with all these things? I told her we were insulating our attic!:lmao:
Barb

:rotfl: :rotfl: :lmao: :lmao: Too funny!!

Anyway too cheap is my aunt, total depression baby here, she has an automatic coffee maker that uses the cone filters, she takes out the old grounds and drys them out and re-uses the filters::scared1: I bought her a pack of 200 for 0.99 last time we went to visit, but I bet she's still throwing out the grounds and drying them out.

Just to clarify the shoe thing...the shoes that are decent are kept in the closet (if they're worn out, holes in them, etc. I throw them away). That way I have some on hand for the inevitable day when I'm running late and go to put on someone's shoes and they throw a fit and say "NO, they're too tight!". They also keep them for the summer, most of the summer they wear sandals, but occassionally will do something that needs closed toes. Cheap shoes don't even last my kids half the school year.

Until this thread, I had never, ever heard of The Keeper or any other device like it.

Do any of you cityfolks garden to minimize your produce bill? What about canning?

I didn't think people still did this, but I got this tip from the Tightwad Gazette, and I have no idea where to get more information on this. It's not like I can ask my neighbors or anybody I know. They all get their food from "normal" places like the grocery store:laughing:

Ahh the things we learn from this board. On another note, one thing I don't scrimp on is the internet. I used to go to the library but that became too inconvinient and I was able to negotiate a lower rate with the phone company. FYI, One way to do this is to threaten to leave to a competitor unless they have a better option. If you are good client they will want to hold on to your business. Go to the manager's manager until you get the best price. :thumbsup2

That is nothing, I spend over $30 per child x2 for my aunts kids (my cousins) and what do my kids get in return? My DS (2) got a pack of 3 pack of Hotwheels cars for christmas, they cost a $2 and my DD (3) got a Dollar Tree teddy bear. I got the boy a Ultimate Light Saber Star Wars set $40&telescope for the girl a $25 gift card to build a bear, a American Girl Backpack, and a Doodle Bear. From now on I learn to just regift those exact items she gave my kids right back to my aunts kids and see how she appreciates the thought. How much thought did she have to put into picking a pack of Hot Wheels cars for a xmas gift? They were able to get govt assisted for low income housing and they were able to purchase their home for under $100k when the rest of us have paid over half a million. They make well over 6 figures (after they scammed the govt for low income housing) and they have no debt but can still be so cheap.

I am cheap and I will buy nice things but the catch is I get them on sale and I will bundle several things together but I would not consider that cheap more like a smart shopper.

I do admit I reuse my gallon size ziploc baggie I use as a pastry bag for making cupcakes but not on the sandwich or snack size one. That is the only time I reuse baggie. I reuse all my plastic containers-yoguart, chinese food soup, sour cream, baby food, & ice cream(gallon bucket).

Do any of you cityfolks garden to minimize your produce bill? What about canning?

I didn't think people still did this, but I got this tip from the Tightwad Gazette, and I have no idea where to get more information on this. It's not like I can ask my neighbors or anybody I know. They all get their food from "normal" places like the grocery store:laughing:

Ahh the things we learn from this board. On another note, one thing I don't scrimp on is the internet. I used to go to the library but that became too inconvinient and I was able to negotiate a lower rate with the phone company. FYI, One way to do this is to threaten to leave to a competitor unless they have a better option. If you are good client they will want to hold on to your business. Go to the manager's manager until you get the best price. :thumbsup2

I garden for a hobby and for produce. So by the time I get done adding fertilzer, buying seeds and seed potatoes it probably is not all that cheap unless you compare the food money I am saving. I can my own tomato sauce, green beans, apple sauce, salsa, peaches. Freeze lots and lots of veggies and store on the shelf potatoes, squashes, sweet potatoes, hang onions, garlic and spices. I still have a basement full.

I have to rationalize this though because some years it does get expensive to garden. I enjoy to garden so instead of recreational shopping or scrap booking or some other hobby I could spend money on I spend money on this and gain food. It's all up to a person's personal preference. I enjoy to garden so it works out for me. These days my food bill is very small.

I don't think a person or family can be too thrifty so long as they aren't doing anything illegal in the process. A good thing about thriftiness is that it goes hand in hand with being environmental friendly. :)

I am a big advocate for thrift shops because I like the philosophy of recycling and saving packaging - I also like the charitable nature of the organizations. You know. . . a hand up, not a hand out. :)

I've never personally found anything in a dumpster, but my in-laws have a route that they check regularly. The owners of the dumpsters know about it and are OK with it. They take the stuff they find and sell it at their flea market booth. Instead of needlessly adding to a landfill, they get money in their bank account. :thumbsup2

We had a neighbor give us a Power Wheels that he found by a dumpster. Dh spent about 2 minutes tinkering with it, and it started working. :love:

That is nothing, I spend over $30 per child x2 for my aunts kids (my cousins) and what do my kids get in return? My DS (2) got a pack of 3 pack of Hotwheels cars for christmas, they cost a $2 and my DD (3) got a Dollar Tree teddy bear. I got the boy a Ultimate Light Saber Star Wars set $40&telescope for the girl a $25 gift card to build a bear, a American Girl Backpack, and a Doodle Bear. From now on I learn to just regift those exact items she gave my kids right back to my aunts kids and see how she appreciates the thought. How much thought did she have to put into picking a pack of Hot Wheels cars for a xmas gift?

I understand where you are coming from, but you would only be hurting the kids by regifting them crap gifts. :( If the kids are spoiled then why not just stop exchanging gifts? And if they kids arent spoiled, I bet they look forward to your great gifts every year. Just a thought ;)

As for being too thrifty, my MIL and FIL are just that! They dont bathe but maybe twice a week. :scared: And then they both share a shower to save water. Not totally sure if they are trying to save water, or something else :laughing: , but I am NOT going to ask. lol. They do not tip when they go out to eat. They keep their house at 80 in the summer, and 65 in the winter. My MIL expects my DH to buy her anything that she is too cheap to pay for herself. She has been hinting about how much she would love to have a french bulldog ( 1800 -2500 dog ) for the last two years. :rolleyes: I wouldnt mind doing nice things for them if 1) they appriciated it and 2) they werent millionaires. I always tease my DH because his DM seems to want him to "buy" his inheritance. And it always goes over really well when we tell them that we dont want their money, they should spend every last dime.

I use the Keeper, which cost me $30 about ten years ago. It's considerably cheaper than sanitary supplies, but that's not why I use it. I don't like pads, and tampons HURT. The Keeper doesn't hurt, and it doesn't have to be changed as often.

I have bought 2 keepers and used them for a while. Still use them for swimming, but had to stop using it regularly when it started to give me urinary tract infections. I ended up with a nasty kidney infection this summer after using it. Be careful.

I cannot take the time to wash out ziploc baggies, but if I have something like crackers in them after I open a container, I will use the same one for the same thing.

I also have a friend that keeps her house very cold...even when guests are over. I think this is just rude, but I wonder if she even notices it since it is that temp all the time.

For me it's too cheap if it's of questionable morals (i.e. scamming or being dishonest) or just plain tacky (i.e. not contributing your fair share at potluck or dutch dinner). There's a fine line between frugal and CHEAP.

Also, I refuse to skimp on nutrition. Yes, you can eat very healthy for less, but for a lot of people that means mac n cheese or hamburger helper with a coupon. Those are not cheap in the long run!

Okay, here goes:

Flushing: Weekdays, when I'm the only one using the facilities, I follow the old adage: If it's brown flush it down, if it's yellow let it mellow. Everyone else in the house flushes every time.

Heating/Cooling: We don't run the heat. It doesn't get that cold down here and we have a wood stove. Thanks to Katrina we have plenty of free heat. Our house is built for hot summers and we only run the AC upstairs at bedtime. We never run the downstairs AC.

Cars: We never buy new. We prefer to buy an year-old used vehicle the year the body style changes. No one wants the "old" body style and the price drops substantially. We keep our cars an average of 10 years. We've never had a car note.

Baggies: I reuse ones that haven't had anything greasy or meaty in them. I wash them inside out in the dishwasher.

Shoes: I confess, my children wore used shoes (and clothes). Maybe I just got lucky but both kids survived. My daughter became an advanced ballet dancer with beautiful feet. (I needed that money I saved on tennies to spend on pointe shoes!) Now that they're "adults" DS still shops at thrift stores. DD is a label girl and is willing to work the two jobs for it.

Feminine Hygiene: DD and I are strictly disposable women.

Travel: We've stayed places with a shared bath. If it's that or not go, I'll gladly share. We do it all the time at campgrounds anyway. Also, if public transportation is available, we will take it. DH and I just got back from New York and for the cost of a cab to and from our hotel we got passes which covered all of our transportation for the week with a few bucks left over. And we almost always travel off-season.

Although I've never dumpster dived (dove?) I have taken stuff friends and family were trying to throw out. Mostly furniture and appliances.

My favorite experience with too cheap was with a dance mom who never tipped in restaurants and actually would jump a turnstile rather than pay a fare. She drove a Lexus SUV.

Jennifer

I had three teenage girls at home....and me....well - we went through napkins at an amazing rate....seems like I was always buying them...one day the cashier who always checked me out....said....What in the blazes do you do with all these things? I told her we were insulating our attic!:lmao:
Barb

:lmao: Would have loved to see the cashiers face.

I dont know what "too" cheap is... but I usually buy my kids clothes a year ahead of time. I LOOOOVE outlets it helps being an hour from 4-5 different outlet centers. Old Navy year end sales rock! My kids dont care if they are "in style" (yet!) most of the time they dont even care if they are clean! I got my little boy alot of polo's from old navy last year for 1.99 now polo's never go out of style.. how could I pass that up? I also freecycle what I dont save of my kids clothes at least someone can use them. I offer out baby things to new parents no point of me storing things that will just get dusy when others can use them swings, bouncy seats, ect ect most of the time the people do return the stuff. Oh and Maternity clothes! Yeesh! I had 3 ppl give me all of their stuff when I got pregnant last time. I could have clothed a small village of pregnant women. I sent alot of the stuff down to New Orleans right after Katrina. Not only do I like to save money I like other to save it as well. I HATE paying full price for anything.

My dad is a HUGE curb shopper ;) He's got me a few things that way. A nice little closet to hold my canned goods in was his latest find. I am waiting for spring to refinnish it. For the cost of a can of paint I'll have a 200$ country store item.

For those who cloth diaper.. does anyone have a good free pattern?? I'm going to try to make cloth diapers. they are SOO expensive to buy! I hate to admit I have only started doing this. I dont want to admit how much I've spent on Pampers in the last 6+ years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter