where do I/you buy used appliances?

shortbun

<font color=green>Peacenik<br><font color=purple><
Looking for washer and dryer. Putting in a 2nd laundry area because I can't carry clothes up and down stairs anymore-too hard on the knees. My husband and son's clothes are sometimes sooooo dirty, I want them in the basement. But, my clothes, linens and dress clothes for the men could be done by me upstairs easily in the pantry which is upstairs between my kitchen and master-and is huge. We have some obstacles to leap prior to getting the plumbing in but I want to start shopping for another set of appliances. When I moved here, I had a 2nd set which I gave away, darn it. They weren't pretty but they were very functional. Probably will move new units upstairs and older set will go down-unless I find something equal then we'll just install them without juggling things up and down the stairs. So-Budget people-where do I look? Thanks!!!

shortbun said:
Looking for washer and dryer. Putting in a 2nd laundry area because I can't carry clothes up and down stairs anymore-too hard on the knees. My husband and son's clothes are sometimes sooooo dirty, I want them in the basement. But, my clothes, linens and dress clothes for the men could be done by me upstairs easily in the pantry which is upstairs between my kitchen and master-and is huge. We have some obstacles to leap prior to getting the plumbing in but I want to start shopping for another set of appliances. When I moved here, I had a 2nd set which I gave away, darn it. They weren't pretty but they were very functional. Probably will move new units upstairs and older set will go down-unless I find something equal then we'll just install them without juggling things up and down the stairs. So-Budget people-where do I look? Thanks!!!

Craigslist.

My dad sold his on craigslist. Another idea is Lowes/home depot clearence section, I've seen gotten some great deals there, in case of Lowes I've seen returned models, repaired by pro models, last months color,dent models.

Also you can discontinued models of appliances on web. outlet.whirlpool.com and outlet.maytag.com

I knew Best Buy had scratch and dent but was not aware Lowes did. Will keep an eye open for them. Seems DH is there once a day, lol!
Not very knowledgable about Craig's List. Hate to visit strange folks at home, kwim? Ever since those guys were murdering responders to their ads...scares me.

Teach them to do it themselves downstairs (or at least carry it down there for you)

I knew Best Buy had scratch and dent but was not aware Lowes did. Will keep an eye open for them. Seems DH is there once a day, lol!
Not very knowledgable about Craig's List. Hate to visit strange folks at home, kwim? Ever since those guys were murdering responders to their ads...scares me.
I can't speak for every Lowes but one Dh worked at seemed to get a lot of "customer Rejects" granted it was in higher income area so people tended to be more "picky" about stuff. I got a great GE microwave for 30.00 bucks( had cracked glass turn table).

Teach them to do it themselves downstairs (or at least carry it down there for you)

They have been doing ALL the laundry for over five years. *I* WANT to do my own laundry! The men in my house are not working as stereotypical 'men.' My husband and my son both cook, they clean and they do the laundry. What do I do? I pay the bills, organize life, keep social and sports schedules in line, mentor my son in school-he's in an online school that requires a learning coach and many other things. I also have a part time job in a school library. My husband is a first year teacher and his load is heavy. I can take on some laundry if it's upstairs. We work as a team.

Check and see if there is a Habitat for Humanity ReStore in your area. They take donations of used but resaleable appliances and building materials, furniture etc, and resell it using the proceeds to build houses in the area they serve. If you google Habitat plus your city or county, you may get a hit. There are several hundred across the US. Good luck!

Check and see if there is a Habitat for Humanity ReStore in your area. They take donations of used but resaleable appliances and building materials, furniture etc, and resell it using the proceeds to build houses in the area they serve. If you google Habitat plus your city or county, you may get a hit. There are several hundred across the US. Good luck!

Great idea!! I've been there to donate a few times and my friend volunteers there. I'll check it out and ask her to watch.

Definitely try Craigslist for a used set.

Depending on your budget, you can also try a ding-and-dent center if you have one in your area. They work fine, just have minor cosmetic flaws.

The classified section of our local paper (The Orlando Sentinel) has a section called "Cheap Stuff" that always has washers and dryers listed. Everything advertised has to be priced less than $100 each item.

A zillion years ago I bought a used washer and dryer for our first house for $50 each. The original owners had them for seven years, we had them for five years and we sold them with the house. Our buyers had them for another five years. $100 well spent!

Queen Colleen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter