• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where do I start?

KelleyGirl

Mouseketeer
I would love some advice.

I've known for a long time that I need to make lifestyle changes, but I just haven't found my way. I want to be healthy. I have to lose weight, but the number of pounds doesn't interest me as much as the thought of living a long healthy life.

I need to workout at home. I have a treadmill and an assortment of weights. I need to come up with a startup workout plan that will be beneficial. I'm afraid if I leave the plan to myself, I will not push myself hard enough. Where did you start?

I'm thinking of starting with treadmill 30 minutes/day, working up to running but starting with fast walking with incline/random patterns. 3 days a week I will include 30 minutes weight training. Do you think this is too easy of a plan to start with? Anyone have a good workout plan? What about a workout app, any good ones?

Afraid I have no advice, other than that Weight Watchers has taught me a lot, but I am interested to hear others advice as well, especially about the apps.

I work out 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours alternating weights and cardio. I do mine at a gym though because I wasn't motivated enough at home by myself.

Before I started working out, my exercise before this was basically non-existent, so 20 minutes just walking at 2.5 on the treadmill would wipe me out. Now I can go at about 3.4-3.6 walking with occasional running for about 45 minutes. So I think for a starting work-out, your plan sounds really good. Plus alternating weights and cardio is going to really help knock weight off. :goodvibes

Personally, I'm better with lifestyle change advice than exercise advice... :)

Awesome! Starting is really hard, I pretty much had to go at it in the dark.

I would google things like "Walking/Running Plan", "Weight Training Workout". You can find tons of little printouts on different websites that can get you started. Once you do some of those you can tell what you feel like is working or whether you can amp it up, either using heavier weights or running faster/inclines. Maybe you can try the Couch to 5K?

I would suggest buying DVDs. You can get weight training or cardio ones. It'll give you an idea of different kind of workouts and combine them on your own.

I don't think your plan is too easy. You really just have to try and see how your body reacts. You can always turn the speed up and walk faster/longer, or use a training schedule. It's great to include weights.

Not exactly a workout app, but I use myfitnesspal and love it. I track all of my calories and add the calories I burned from working out so I can keep an eye on my diet and keep a list of when I worked out.

Good luck! :)

As someone that made the change just over 6 months ago, I'll give one piece of advice:

Select a time of day that you will do some type exercise and DO IT every day! Be consistent with the time you do it and it helps stay motivated.

For me, I get up at 4:40am and run before I go to work. I feel great!

As someone that made the change just over 6 months ago, I'll give one piece of advice:

Select a time of day that you will do some type exercise and DO IT every day! Be consistent with the time you do it and it helps stay motivated.

For me, I get up at 4:40am and run before I go to work. I feel great!

4:40! :scared1: I would have to find a different time. But I understand. Best to make it part of your routine.

Thanks for the ideas. I appreciate you taking the time to answer!

I too use myfitnesspal. It's been great for me.

I get bored so I like to switch things up. DVDs and/or netflix for yoga, aerobics, dance, Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Bike, treadmill or walking outside, weights, Wii, etc.

For me, I needed a concrete goal to work towards, which in my case was a 5K at first. I did the couch to 5K program and that eventually led me to wanting to do a half marathon (which I did!). All along the way I had other races that kept me motivated to keep training.

Also, I actually treat my workouts like an appointment and put them in my calendar so there's no excuse for not having the time.

About 18 months ago (Labor Day 2010 actually), I was 5'1", 185 lbs. My family and I were at Great Wolf Lodge for the weekend and I was absolutely miserable....I didn't want to put on a bathing suit and go to the waterpark with my children!! I volunteered to take DD back to the room for a nap, just so I could get out of my bathing suit...I was that uncomfortable. That day, I decided that I would no longer live my life that way and it was time for a change.The next day, I started the South Beach diet (low carb for the first 2 weeks, and then you start to add in good carbs slowly). Honestly, it's not so much a diet but just a heatlhy way to eat. I also started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. The first week, I literally couldn't get through the 20 minutes of that video...that's how out of shape I was! But, I stuck with it. After the 30 DS, I bought several of Jillian's other videos, as well as a couple Biggest Loser videos. I found that having a video to follow, as opposed to just doing my own thing, really helped me push myself and stick with the program. Fast forward to now, I have completed Insanity, P90X, Insanity: the Asylum, run a 1/2 marathon (Disney, of course), and done several obstacle course mud races. Fitness and healthy eating have become a way of life for myself and my family! Today, for example, I ran 10 miles....and it was EASY!! If you had told me a year ago I would spend my Sunday morning running 10 miles and I would enjoy it, I would have thought you were crazy!!! I am in the best shape of my life and I feel fantastic...my friends and coworkers come to me for fitness and nutriton advice. I know this is a long post and I am sorry for going on and on, but I just wanted to tell you that you CAN do it. All you have to do is come up with a plan and tell yourself that you ARE going to stick with it!!! I personally think the South Beach diet is fantastics and that Jillian Michael's is very inspirational. If you can swing it, I would recommend the Total Body Revolution, her new 90 day plan...it looks great! Best of luck to you.

Ami

4:40! :scared1: I would have to find a different time. But I understand. Best to make it part of your routine.

Thanks for the ideas. I appreciate you taking the time to answer!

You just have to find a time that works best for you. I have a terrible habit of talking myself out of going in the evening after work....

Good luck to you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter