Where do all the forks go?

china mom

DIS Veteran
I used to have service for 20. Granted it has been more than 20 years but I have slowly been losing silverware - mostly dinner forks. Are my kids selling them on ebay? is someone breaking into my house? I think I have about 6 left.

My silverware is no longer made but you can still buy replacement pieces for...$12-15 PER FORK!! I just bought some similar ones for $2 per fork but they are just different enough that my left eye twitches when I look at them together. Replacing the entire set would be ridiculous because I also have tons of serving pieces and other extras.

But, where the heck do they go?

My set
images

What I found
61UhKyFmg7L._AC_SL1470_.jpg

They are close but don't weigh the same and are making me twitch.

Last edited:
OMG same here! It drives me crazy too! I notice that the only silverware we still have all pieces for are tablespoons. I think the forks and teaspoons wind up in the garbage! It has to be! Tablespoons are so big that it's really hard to throw them away, plus they are used much less often.

I have no idea where a lot of ours go. I suspect some might have ended up in the trash by mistake, and occasionally I've found a few under the sofa that I washed off and put back. But we mostly use heavyweight food service flatware. The stuff is cheap and easy to replace, and we only get what we need. I probably use the demitasse spoons and teaspoons more than others. Not sure where the cocktail forks went though. But I've got a whole bunch that haven't been used.

The prices here are really high, but I've bought stuff like a dozen salad forks for $7 at a local restaurant supply store. They're probably more expensive now, but I stocked up years ago.

https://www.libertytabletop.com/product/classic-rim/

I've been losing a lot of forks too. I've found that I accidentally lose them when I'm eating fast foods, especially if they've been wrapped in paper or require a lot of napkins, like ribs or greasy fried chicken.

When I gather the wrapper & napkins all together and toss it in the trash, the fork is hiding in there and gets tossed too. :headache: I've actually found a couple forks in time and rescued them from the trash. :eek:

I think it goes where the socks go...I mean I used to think the socks just got lost in the dryer but now I'm convinced there is something else going on :scratchin

In our household the socks and the forks (cuz actually it IS the forks that seem to go missing) join the scissors. It doesn't matter that we have several pairs strategically located throughout the house (two in the kitchen, one in the office, one upstairs) somehow one or more of them goes missing for a prolonged period of time and we've def. lost more than a few over the years.

Screwdrivers too. You'd thinking having like 5 or 6 full sets you'd be golden..nope.

And it's only two of us in the house..I swear we're really not that bad :rotfl2:

tell us you have teenagers living in the house, without telling us you have teenagers living at home.

It's us too! I purposefully purchased two full sets last time we replaced them and held some back from the drawer because inevitably they disappear. I've now brought out the reserves and whenever we move to the next set the poor fool at goodwill will only be getting big spoons and knives!

tell us you have teenagers living in the house, without telling us you have teenagers living at home.
Our middle daughter jokingly gave my husband a package of spoons as one of his Christmas gifts last year. He was constantly complaining, “Why are there no spoons? Where can they possibly be disappearing to?” She would whisper, “it’s me”.

She always takes food or tea in the car with her so apparently she loses them there and also admitted that she had accidentally thrown a few away in her lunch at work. One day our oldest was visiting and she said, “Oh, yeah I definitely threw a few spoons away in my lunch too”.

I'm about ready to kill DH over this. I had a full stainless service for 12 and I'm down to 4. The pattern is discontinued and they now go for about $50/each. He takes them to the office, leaves them in the kitchen sink, and other people take them home. I've tried buying large pkgs of plastic forks, but he prefers the good ones.

I had a full stainless service for 12 and I'm down to 4. The pattern is discontinued and they now go for about $50/each

an inexpensive resource for full sets of good quality are thrift and charity stores-the pandemic purging of homes resulted in so many china hutches being emptied and donated along with their contents that our locals have refused donations of hutches for going on 2 years now, china sitting in boxes and being sold for a dime a piece for targets :crazy: and full sets of nice stainless steel flatware, many in wooden cases selling for pennies each.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter