Where did you stay?

MyMoneyTreeWontGrow

bag-brained birdie
I'm thinking of a hotel stay in Ueno, is this too far from Disneyland? Reason being Ueno seems closer to other Tokyo attractions. Would you recommend us staying close to Disneyland for the days we will be visiting the park and spend the rest of the trip in another hotel location? I would think hotels around Disneyland overcharge, is that true? I intend to spend on goods and tangible stuff rather than a hotel stay where we would be only there to sleep overnight.

What about the option of a ryokan? Have any of you tried?

I was considering staying more inside Tokyo, then I remembered something - RUSH HOUR!
Tokyo rush hour is crrazy (youtube Tokyo rush hour) and of course the morning one happens right when you want to be headed to Disney for Rope Drop. I chickened out, and now we're staying at the Sunroute Plaza on Tokyo Bay.
If we were going for longer (we're only staying for a week) I would likely switch to a more centralized location, but as it is we're not going to be spending much time in the rest of Japan. I had to decide what was more important to me and Disney won out.

My original plan was around 10 days that would look something like this:
4 nights Tokyo Bay
3 nights Kyoto
2 nights Central Tokyo

In general, I recommend making a list of what you want to accomplish, and stay near where you want to be more of the time or stay in multiple hotels.

My trip back from a park in Seoul on Tuesday reaffirmed my decision to stay closer to Disney. While Tokyo public transit is supposed to be much more reliable than Seoul (but more crowded), we got stuck standing on a crowded train for over an hour in a car without air conditioning.

If it works out, I'd do a split stay between Tokyo Bay and Ueno, I think it takes around 30 minutes to make the trip - less if on an express.

However this didn't work out for us, as we'd need 1 night in central Tokyo, then 4 nights at Tokyo Bay, then returning to Central Tokyo for another 4 nights, then off to Osaka for 5 nights, and we don't like hotel hopping, so we decided to stay in Shinjuku for the Tokyo section of the trip, and make daily trips to TDL. We will be faced with the long early morning train rides, but hey, I figured it's part of the "Japan" Experience! :rotfl:

Having said that, if a Disney owned hotel comes up super cheap, we may still consider a couple of nights there :confused3

The Disney owned hotels are very expensive, but there are several others located very close at Tokyo Bay which would be just as good, but without the Disney themeing. Look into either the Hilton Tokyo Bay or the Sheraton, :thumbsup2

I looked into Ryokans, and while some of them look nice I decided that you don't get much for the price you pay. I must have a private bathroom, and a lot of them don't have this option, unless you're willing to pay extra, and a hotel ended up being a better option, less of the "Japan" Experience, that I mentioned previously, but to me, private bathrooms are more important then having that experience :laughing:

30 minute commute isn't too bad :lmao: and I'm familiar with Tokyo's rush hour sans kids... which reminds me I may need to get child leashes... Was hoping for a backpacker type inn maybe will look into the areas surrounding Tokyo Bay thanks. Toyoko Inn has great prices but staying in the one up in Sapporo has turned me claustrophobic. Don't think we will be able to afford Hilton. The last time we had to stay at a hotel in that price range (as wedding VIP guests), I smacked myself thinking how many more bowls of ramen and my favorite mentaiko onigiri I could have bought with the extra cash.

How many children are you travelling with OP? In my research the Sheraton Tokyo Bay will accommodate a family of five in one room - which makes it the cheaper option for us - as I havent found any other hotels that will take all of us so would need two rooms.

ATM rooms there are running for 24000y per night in April 2013 - rates fluctuate wildly - so I hope to get it cheaper closer to the trip.

We figure it will be easier to commute into Tokyo for a couple of days as there wont be the need to be there at rope drop.

We then hope to spend a week in Kyoto in a machiya through VRBO.

We have stayed at the Sheraton twice and it was great! It includes Disney bus service to the parks. And Magic Express service to and from the airport.

And I agree - if you want to put your family of 4 or 5 in a room, the price is very reasonable!

What is this magic express from the airport you speak of? Is that the limousine bus?

What is this magic express from the airport you speak of? Is that the limousine bus?

Yes, very similar process. You can pick it up right at the limousine bus desk in the baggage claim section.

I'm thinking of a hotel stay in Ueno, is this too far from Disneyland? Reason being Ueno seems closer to other Tokyo attractions.

I love the Ueno section of Tokyo due to the proximity to Ueno Park and its museums, zoo, and other points of interest. It's only a 30 minute train ride from Ueno station to Maihama station, the gateway to TDL. As for ryokans, I have stayed in them but not in Tokyo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter