Where did our hamsters go? Another update (possibly the end) Final update #183

I'm amazed at how many hamsters have gotten out!

We had many hamsters growing up and still have one now. Whenever we have used the wire cages we always used a twist-tie to ensure the cage door was more secure.

I can't imagine how terrifying it must be to know the hamster is loose! Good luck and I hope you find him/her soon.

My roommate in college had hamsters and every time they got out, they came to my room and would get under the fitted sheet in my bed. I did not like her hamsters!
My daughters hamster was in his ball last night and we couldn't find him. We finally found him in my son's room in the middle of his army men. It was so funny because there were little tanks all around him.

Well, when your dog knocks over the cage and the lid falls off.......

Dawn

I'm amazed at how many hamsters have gotten out!

We had many hamsters growing up and still have one now. Whenever we have used the wire cages we always used a twist-tie to ensure the cage door was more secure.

I can't imagine how terrifying it must be to know the hamster is loose! Good luck and I hope you find him/her soon.

We always found our's behind the refrigerator or the dryer. I hope you are able to find them. I really doubt the dogs would eat them.

We found ours (dead) in a pitcher in a kitchen cabinet. Make sure you check all those kinds of places.

We had hamsters. After one came home from the petstore pregnant and gave birth a week after getting her we decided no more. My hamster (first one we had) got out and was missing for a week. It somehow made its way downstairs. My brother's hamster (the one with TEN babies) gave birth and ate two of her babies and so eight were left. All eight of them plus the mama escaped in my brother's room. Thankfully we got them all.

They are escape artists. Cute but not my favorite rodent.

Thanks. We still have an open cage with food and water in it out and some food left out, but still no sign. I assume them are gone. We have looked under and in furniture and listened at night for scratching or noises.

5 of our babies have found homes now, so we have kept 2 babies and are taking extra care for this not to happen again.

Dawn

Just checking in????:guilty:

Thanks. We still have an open cage with food and water in it out and some food left out, but still no sign. I assume them are gone. We have looked under and in furniture and listened at night for scratching or noises.

5 of our babies have found homes now, so we have kept 2 babies and are taking extra care for this not to happen again.

Dawn

Sorry you have not found your hamsters-good luck with the babies you still have

Goodness. Well, we really have so many nooks and cranies in this house and there is no way I have time to pull everything out of every closet to look. I am still recovering from pneumonia and even a normal day for me it taxing. We cleaned on Thursday day and between that and Thanksgiving it did me in.

We even have a hole in the wall where DH hasn't put back a cable cover......they could easily have gotten in there. We also have a 200 pound safe in a closet they could have gotten behind. Not to mention the fridge and built in stove or dishwasher. Just way too many places around here.

Dawn

We found ours down the hall in a closet. He had built a nest inside of a suitcase. :laughing:

This is one reason I will only have pets that don't require a cage! That and anything in the mouse/rodent family scares the heck out of me! My first year teaching I acquired 2 gerbils from the teacher I took over for. We went on a field trip and "Pepper" got out when we were gone. We got back and well, I stood on the table while my teacher's aide, 18 kids, and the custodian looked for him! They did find him under the bookshelf, but I didn't help at all!

Oh my! This has confirmed my thoughts, I will NEVER have a hamster or the like!
They are actually nice little pets..some are escape artists, but if you reinforce the cage and buy the right size cage for your hamster, it isn't really a problem.

They're pretty quiet, they're lovable, and low maintenance. For me, the only downside is the short life span.

I've been thinking about a hamster for my 8y.o. grandson for Christmas, but haven't polled his parents yet. When my kids had them, we kept them in a big aquarium. They couldn't climb the sides, so no escaping. This was before we had cats though. Anybody know if you shouldn't keep them in a aquarium?

I've been thinking about a hamster for my 8y.o. grandson for Christmas, but haven't polled his parents yet. When my kids had them, we kept them in a big aquarium. They couldn't climb the sides, so no escaping. This was before we had cats though. Anybody know if you shouldn't keep them in a aquarium?

It's just a bit harder to clean out, and a bit heavier. The nice thing about most hamster cages, is the sides, top and bottom come apart for easy cleaning.
You can find a screen lid easily enough at a pet shop that they sell for lizards and such. I kept one hamster in a ten gal tank, and sliced the screen to put tubes running in and out of it. And there was no escaping from the tubes. Since he couldn't climb the outside of the tubes or the tank, I didn't worry about him getting to the screen or trying to escape.

We keep our school hamster in an aquarium. I actually find them easier to clean. No tubes or wire to have to clean, just the glass bottom. Glass is easier to get REALLY clean than plastic for sure. I clean the cage with the hamster in it. I get a trash can and rubber gloves and scoop all the shredding out into the trash can. Then I use an old washcloth dunked in warm, soapy water to wipe down wherever he has used the bathroom(usually the corners). Then I put in new shredding. Takes all of 15 minutes, if that.

If you get an aquarium, just make sure the top has strong clips. I have had hamsters who climbed up and balanced on their wheel and then pushed the top up. Our current aquarium top is duct taped down, LOL. I just undo the ducttape when I feed her or get her out.

OP, ours liked to escape to the drawer under our stove. It shredded my silpat for bedding:headache:and found food on the floor of the pantry next to it. Your hammies may not be eating the food left out because they have another source. Hey, where do you keep your dog food? Maybe check near there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter