Where Can We Find Solar Eclipse Glasses (Not Online)?

I’m in Western NY & the path of totality. Our Wegmans & Tops grocery stores have them, as well as the libraries & zoo already mentioned. Also, try to investigate the area you’ll be in. Many places here are having Eclipse viewing events. The Science museum, NY state park in a suburb & the Buffalo Bills stadium come to mind. Yes, they’re all for a fee, but they’ll have glasses included. You might find an event to attend where you’re going to be.

I’m in Western NY & the path of totality. Our Wegmans & Tops grocery stores have them, as well as the libraries & zoo already mentioned. Also, try to investigate the area you’ll be in. Many places here are having Eclipse viewing events. The Science museum, NY state park in a suburb & the Buffalo Bills stadium come to mind. Yes, they’re all for a fee, but they’ll have glasses included. You might find an event to attend where you’re going to be.
Thanks for the tips. I already told DH we need to figure out exactly where we're going to be, so we can make a plan. We'd be happy pulling off the side of the road with a picnic, but knowing nothing about the area makes that pretty much impossible. We're going to have to decide exactly where we're going, so we can look for an event. I hope everything isn't booked already, but won't be surprised if it is.

PS: Can I just say how jealous I am that you have Wegmans? I wish we had one in Florida or our part of North Carolina.

PS: Can I just say how jealous I am that you have Wegmans? I wish we had one in Florida or our part of North Carolina.
I’m always surprised when I hear people get excited about Wegmans. We’ve had Wegmans here since the late 70’s, I started shopping there shortly after I got married in 1978. So funny how we take things for granted after awhile. I read about Costco & get jealous of people who shop there, lol. Although Costco is building a store about 30 minutes from me, supposedly opening next year some time. I wonder if it will live up to my expectations.

Good luck on your hunt for glasses & eclipse viewing. We’re staying right in our yard. Hoping it will not be a cloudy day.

I’m always surprised when I hear people get excited about Wegmans. We’ve had Wegmans here since the late 70’s, I started shopping there shortly after I got married in 1978. So funny how we take things for granted after awhile. I read about Costco & get jealous of people who shop there, lol. Although Costco is building a store about 30 minutes from me, supposedly opening next year some time. I wonder if it will live up to my expectations.

Good luck on your hunt for glasses & eclipse viewing. We’re staying right in our yard. Hoping it will not be a cloudy day.
Our best grocery stores are Publix & Ingles. IMO, they're seriously lacking compared to Wegmans. I suppose the luster may wear off, if we had one nearby, but we love shopping there now. Occasionally, we get sick of eating out & go there to pickup something to nuke in the room. I'm no help with Costco. I've only been in one a couple times several years ago. We're not buy in bulk shoppers.

Viewing in your backyard sounds perfect.

I'm in VT in the path of totality. Walgreens had some plastic glasses. Our local library, city hall and schools are all handing out glasses; also got some when I bought t-shirts. Most communities are having viewing events and will be handing out glasses -- some events are free, some charge admission.

One note -- make sure the ISO logo is on the glasses to ensure they are legit and will be safe for your eyes. Unfortunately there are some fakes out there, mainly online.
1711593949182.png

I'm in VT in the path of totality. Walgreens had some plastic glasses. Our local library, city hall and schools are all handing out glasses; also got some when I bought t-shirts. Most communities are having viewing events and will be handing out glasses -- some events are free, some charge admission.

One note -- make sure the ISO logo is on the glasses to ensure they are legit and will be safe for your eyes. Unfortunately there are some fakes out there, mainly online.
View attachment 845843
Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to look for that.

Just make sure they're really quality glasses.

As long as they're not damaged, even cheap ones should be fine as they're made to the proper specs. I've watched eclipses before and I bought cheap cardboard viewers for maybe $2. They were made in the US and sold at local science museum. I just wanted them and asked to go the the store and they let me in without admission.

I do remember seeing some welder's glass that was less than $2 but the shipping cost for one piece was ridiculous.

However, I'm not going to be able to see the eclipse around here. For the last one I was planning on going to that local science museum but didn't bother when it was overcast in the morning and didn't let up.

We are going to get 3:42 of totality in my town - like others have said the library is handing them out as well as the schools. We also have lots of viewing sites as well. Some are free and others cost an admission but they have glasses included. All of my students are getting them as well. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the tips. I already told DH we need to figure out exactly where we're going to be, so we can make a plan. We'd be happy pulling off the side of the road with a picnic, but knowing nothing about the area makes that pretty much impossible. We're going to have to decide exactly where we're going, so we can look for an event. I hope everything isn't booked already, but won't be surprised if it is.

I would start looking at town websites now. I was going to wing it or look for something next week, but one of my bosses informed me that everything he'd already looked at in the areas he was scoping was sold out or grossly inflated. I had a specific town in mind, found their website, and found that they've turned pretty much everything on its ear for the eclipse. They've even informally changed their name for the week. It seems every place in this little town is charging to use parking lots. Even the public parks are requiring reservations. Nearly everything was sold out except for a nearby country club and the parking lot of an old outlet mall. I opted for the outlet mall lot because it was "only" $50 a vehicle, we can pack a picnic lunch/snacks and will have access to vendors and a carnival (which means porta potties). My dad had suggested the city about 35 miles south of the town we're going to, but most of the cities are expected to be really bad. Based on travel booking data, San Antonio already declared a state of emergency for the eclipse. Either way, that town website gave me the bulk of the info I needed to hopefully make this a more pleasant day. Dreading the drive and praying the traffic isn't too awful

We are near the path in upstate NY (our location will get 98% totality) and there were no eclipse glasses here yesterday that we could find. Even the employees at Home Depot were surprised that none were left. The library was also out. So I ordered them online.

OP, if you find them, get them. Don't wait until you get near the path of totality--the glasses could all be gone by then. Also, even though you're traveling, do you know where you're going to be, say, next Wednesday? You could order the glasses online and have them delivered to your destination, assuming this would be possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter