Where can I find Wide girls shoes at a reasonable price?

Vacation Lover

DIS Veteran
I dread this time of year--time to switch from flip flops to toe-in shoes. My girls always end up with a closet full of too long but not wide enough shoes! Thinking I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take them to Stride Rite. Any other suggestions that won't break the bank??

could only wear Stride Rite XW for years.. I feel your pain.

I bought most of them from shoebuy.com. Search around as they almost always have a coupon. Free shipping and returns so someitmes I bought a few pairs and sent one back.

Also check and see if you have a SR outlet near you. I have also found SR shoes quite regularly at Marshalls, but of course that is hit or miss on sizes.

I wish we were just transitioning from sandals.. its COLD here.. just got out my DD's UGGS. :(

You really can't go cheap on feet. I have a very wide foot and shoes are the one thing I have NEVER gotten a bargin on. My dd14 has my feet and when she was little it was always stride rite. When I was a girl it was Buster Brown.

I can only suggest a stride rite outlet if there is one near you.

Our Stride Rite store does not carry wide widths:confused3 We end up at Sears for their wide New Balance (they usually have a ton of them here and pretty good sales) or Land's End. They have a pretty good assortment of wides too. The $5.99 LE Mary Jane trekkers just came last night for DD7.

Both my kids (ages 9 and 11) still need wide shoes. We buy them New Balance through Zappos.com. We went to the NB store in the mall recently and they hardly had any kids sneakers to pick from - wide or any - not sure if they are phasing them out at the stores or what. But Zappos had a ton to pick from.

What size do they wear? Your 10 yr old might be able to switch to women's shoes, which aren't necessarily cheaper but will give you more options in wide widths. Lands End has girls' shoes in wide sizes, and they often have a pretty good sale. Payless also carries some childrens' shoes in wide widths.

My kids and I all wear wide with shoes. Payless and Walmart usually have a decent selection of Wide.

Check ebay. My dd 10 is now in a 7 1/2 W womens which is easier to find, but for kiddie sizes I had her fitted in a store, but bought most shoes on ebay. There are quite a few euro brands I snagged for around $20 that held up well.

Both of my kids had wide feet as children - we always bought them Stride Rite and saved money on other aspects of their wardrobes. The Stride-Rites
held up better than cheaper shoes so we felt it was money well-spent.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will check the online sites and, as it turns out, I am meeting an old friend at some outlets in a couple of weeks and they have a SR outlet!:thumbsup2

I have found my daughters at Shoe Carnival. They have buy one get one 50% off sales alot.

She is in a small womans wide width size now and I've had the best luck there with wide shoe widths.

My dd had to wear Stride Rites also, until she was too big to fit them anymore. I will say, though pricey, the quality was good, and they never fell apart before she outgrew them.
After that her best bet is New Balance. We got her fitted for the right size at a local store, then I ordered them online. I love Shoebuy.com, I buy tons of shoes from them, and as a previous poster said, they run coupons almost all the time.
I have found New Balance also at decent prices in wide a couple of times at JC Penney's online.

I'm afraid "reasonable" doesn't really go with finding a good fit for wide feet! My DD has wide feet too. I feel bad for her because she is always finding cute little shoes that she can't wear. She was begging for some silver sparkly shoes at Target yesterday and I had to remind her that she tried the same ones in pink last spring in a couple of sizes and couldn't make them fit. She can't wear Stride Rite. Her heel is narrower than the rest of her foot and she walks right out of Stride Rite. There are hardly any other stores around here who carry wides and they are usually high priced (higher than Stride Rite) if they do. We have had some luck at Payless occasionally in finding wides for cheaper prices. Usually we get most of her shoes online at Shoes.com, shoebuy.com or zappos.com. Most, if not all, of those sites have free shipping and free return shipping, so if they don't fit we can just ship them back. We've had good luck with the Nina brand, except for not all their styles come in wide.

For tennis shoes, try New Balance. They come in wide widths..and are fairly inexpensive. I get ours at Famous Footwear because they have such a great loyalty program. I usually pay about $30 for a pair for my younger son...more for my older son and myself.

The New Balance store has dress shoes, too, but they are extremely expensive and I don't know that they come in kids' sizes. Stride Rite was my store-of-choice when my boys were younger.

My feet have been a major issue throughout my life. Last year I needed black dress shoes and Famous Footwear had one pair...not one style, one PAIR...that fit me. Did I like the style? Nope. But, I had to have them, so there I was.

One last thought, you might check specialty shoe shops in your area. I know KCMO has Steve's...a shoe shop that claims they can get shoes for any size of feet.

Here's hoping you find something cute and affordable!

I go to the Stride Rite store to check out the styles and get DS's feet measured, then I often try to find those same shoes on Shoebuy or Zappos cheaper. Or, I wait for Stride Rite to have their buy one, get one 50% off sale (usually one in the spring and one in the fall) to get his shoes. I also hit the SR outlet and Payless. My DS and I both have very wide feet, so I feel your pain!

Depending on how wide her feet are....

My DS could only wear StrideRite for the first 5-6 yrs, with only one style that could fit him. It was a struggle.

Payless does carry variety of shoes in wide widths. My girls are fans of Payless "airwalks".

Check out their website before hand. We have had good luck there.

Keep us posted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter