Where can I find a big man's suit at a great price?

nuzmom

a real-life Merida
My husband is looking for a suit for our upcoming cruise. However, we don't want to spend a bunch of money on it. He'll only wear it about 3 times a year and his size fluctuates quite a bit. (he has THREE size 50 suits that don't fit)

The main problem is that he's a size 52 or 54 in the jacket (executive fit) and a 48 or 50 in the pants.

We've checked - Men's Warehouse, ebay, Jo. E Banks, JC Pennys, Macy's, 3 consignment shops, and burlington coat warehouse. Right now Burlington is the best price - $160 plus alterations.

Look at the great deals I've gotten on the rest of the family: :banana:
Me - long formal dress - $30 (fits PERFECT - ie, makes me look thinner)
DS10 - suit - $11, white shirt - $3, has good shoes
DS5 - sports coat - $10, nice linen khaki pants - $6, had a white dress shirt

I picked all of these items up at consignment shops - they all look brand new and are amazingly awesome name brands.

I REALLY want to find a good deal for DH. I'm finding that most consignment shops just don't carry men's clothing and if they do, nothing in a large size.

Any ideas?????

Cheshire Figment said:
Also check Casual Mall - Big & Tall. They do carry suits also.
Oh yeah, checked them, too. A sports coat was $150, didn't price the suits. Nice clothes, but still a bit pricey for his use. (but thanks for the suggestion - that's what I need)

Don't get me wrong, when he needed to wear suits more often, we paid some big money for them (those are the size 50s), but his life now doesn't require them and it's hard to swallow such a big price tag.

Do you have a Value City Dept. Store in your area? They usually have a good selection of big man clothes. And you can get great deals when they have a sale/clearance!

My Dh wears about the same sizes-he's 6'5" and about 280#. I have found some good deals @ King size big and tall catalogs- www.kingsizedirect.com
good luck I know how hard it is to shop for them-sometimes worse than shopping for us ladies!! :rotfl2:
Trish

we got dbf 3 suits - with shirts and ties - at Casual Male for $600. oh yeah that price included 3 extra shirts and 2 belts too. so we got a great deal. that is less than $200 per suit including shirt and tie

DH is a big guy too and we have to buy all his dress clothes at Men's Warehouse or Casual Male XL. I was just in a wedding and had to spend $60 to get him a dress shirt since he needs tall sizes. In my opinion, I would rather just fork up the cash for 1 nice suit and a couple of dress shirts and ties (which we did) since my husband only "dresses up" for weddings and funerals. We have 6 wedding to attend this summer...you know that I'm spending more than $60 on myself for the different dresses I have to wear!

If you have enough time for shipping, I think JCPenney online sells Big/Tall sizes and sometimes has good deals.

Unfortunately I do not have a great answer for you, but wish I did as I am about 6'4 and 280 (54 Jacket and 42 waist) then add to that long arms (37 inch sleeve) and I know EXACTLY what you are running into. From my personal experience I would go with Men's Warehouse, I know its more than you want to spend but it is nice clothing and should last well for him.

Good luck in your search :earsboy:

I was going to say Burlington coat factory, that is where dh got his :) good price and they altered it very quickly.

go on line and see if you have a K&G Men's Mart near you. They usually have some really nice quality suits and sometimes you can get them 2/150! YES and the names are well known. If you want to go a little higher you can get Calvin Klein, or Cardin or Hilfiger!

I feel your pain. :grouphug: DH usually gets his suits at K&G. You can sometimes find a good deal at JC Penney Big & Tall section on catalog.

I receave lane bryant and romans magazines and they also sell mens clothing. Try their web sites. Good luck.

sometimes tux places will rent suits also I did this for my dh a couple of years ago. you might be able to find a great rate if you dicker with the owner a little bit.

Sym's is very good for bargains if you have one nearby. They only do hems, though, not full alterations; for that you need a real tailor. DS needs suits for work, he buys them at Syms and pays about $50/ea to have them tailored perfectly at a professional tailor shop. However, you are still probably looking at at least $200 unless you are willing to settle for a polyester blend.

Have you tried taking his existing suits to a good tailor to see if they can be altered? Good suits are often made with large selvages, and depending on the style, can often be adjusted by a couple of inches.

I know that Men's Wearhouse may not be the cheapest but we purchased a suit there because of their alteration policy. We also have a problem with fluctuating sizes. Once they have altered a seam any future alterations on that seam are free. (Unless their policy has changed.)

Lots of great suggestions. Thanks so much. There are a few I hadn't thought of and we'll be checking into them. I also had a very nice DISer offer to see if some suits they were getting rid of will work. That would be awesome if they do.

great suggestions - thanks.

NotUrsula said:
Have you tried taking his existing suits to a good tailor to see if they can be altered? Good suits are often made with large selvages, and depending on the style, can often be adjusted by a couple of inches.
I was assuming that letting a seam out would leave a noticeable "seam line" - what do you think? I know a tailor could probably answer that, but we live 30 minutes from EVERYTHING so finding one will take some time. That would be another great solution, if it would work. His suits (that don't fit) are very nice.

Whether or not the seams show will depend greatly on the fabric, and on how the suits have been stored (since you say he won't wear it often, I'm assuming that fading from repeated exposure to dry-cleaning solvent won't be an issue here.) Also, remember that he would be wearing it indoors, not in sunlight, where any mark would be more evident.

If the suit has been stored in a dark closet, you should not have fading from light exposure. 100% wool fibers will re-close around a thread groove once they have been steam-pressed, but synthetic fibers may not, possibly leaving a mark. You could always pick out some of the threads in the middle of the center back seam to check for a color difference before trying this.

A good tailor will tell you just what he can expect to be able to do, and will not charge you if he is unable to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter