Where can I buy mango chutney?

LoveBWVVBR

DIS Veteran
We don't have a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods around here. Where else can I buy mango chutney? I need it for a recipe, and the ingredients to make it seem like they'll be a lot more $$ than just buying it already made. We have Publix, Winn Dixie, Super Wal-Mart, Super Target, BJ's, etc. around here. Thanks!

Why don't you call the stores and ask if they carry it? My local Safeway carries at least one brand of chutney. I'd start with Publix. My guess is W-D will not, but I say that b/c the W-D's I have been in lately are very limited in the products and varieties they carry.

I have seen it in either publix or kroger in the last week or two. I remember reading the label for ingredients.

D

Most grocery stores carry it. Sometimes it's in the international section with the Indian and Asian stuff. Sometimes it's with the jellies and jams -- it will be with the more unusual varieties, such as pepper jelly.

I do Indian cooking, but I don't make chutney. (Actually I did once, and it was way too much trouble!) It's not necessary with the good varieties available commercially.

Publix has it but I believe it's in the English Import products!

Would this be in the International aisle at Publix then? I've seen an Asian and Hispanic section in our Publix international aisle, but I can't say that I recall seeing the English Import products, LOL!

Would this be in the International aisle at Publix then? I've seen an Asian and Hispanic section in our Publix international aisle, but I can't say that I recall seeing the English Import products, LOL!
Some of our Publix's have it next to the Cuban, Mexican Chinese etc. and then some of the smaller ones have the British Imports on a little stand at the end of an aisle.

I found mango chutney last summer at a Harry and David's store. It took FOREVER to find this particular ingredient.

If you don't need it right now and your local Publix does not have it, ask them to order it from their vendor. It shouldn't take them that long to get it. As long a the vendor has it in stock. Sorry ex Publix employee....:goodvibes

Check the Indian foods section of the international aisle. It may be an offshoot of the Asian aisle if you don't have a specific Indian section. Chutney is a big deal in Indian cuisine.

BJ's has it (at least mine did). It was a large 3 pack of chutney.

Do you have a Wegman's? They have a very extensive International foods section. When I need a specialty item, I always look there first. They usually have everything!

The mango chutney that I use is called Major Grey's. It is in the specialty condiments next to the pepper jelly. It may help to look or ask for Major Grey's because it is a pretty popular brand and alot of people don't realize that it's mango chutney.

I have used this before too. I make a curry called Major Grey Curry that is a sweeter curry. It is SO good!

Dawn

The mango chutney that I use is called Major Grey's. It is in the specialty condiments next to the pepper jelly. It may help to look or ask for Major Grey's because it is a pretty popular brand and alot of people don't realize that it's mango chutney.

I found it at our Kroger in the international section also, but didn't buy it.
It was for a chicken salad recipe, but it was over $5 a jar.:scared1: A little out of budget for chicken salad!

majority of all indian store carry it in different brand names. It is the most popular. I like the sweet n sour one.

Check your local indian grocery store in the yellow pages.:)

Indian cook here with a correction. :rotfl: Actually, I'm not Indian, but I cook Indian food.

Major Gray is not a BRAND of chutney, it's a variety of mango chutney. It's also what you're most likely to find at the grocery store, so it's worth asking for Major Gray as well as mango chutney.

If you have access to an Indian store, you'll pay less -- sometimes a LOT less.

Yes my Publix has major gray mango chutney on the top shelf in the jam section. I have some in the fridge right now in fact

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter