Where can ecvs/scooters not travel to?

married2mm

DIS Veteran
Essentially, I'm currently in a manual wheelchair & considering ecv or motorized wheelchair.

We are thinking probably a scooter due to cost and size (fitting in trunk of car)

I'm wondering though-where might I not be able to take the scooter-
Restaurants?
Rides?
Attractions?

I would be unable to transfer to a manual chair as dmil will be utilising my dh for her chair..

Any info gladly accepted.

There are a few that you will have to get a wheel chair for ( and they do have them for you for free to borrow )

this is what I can think of of the top of my head it may ( and more then likely will) change

MK

POTCB
buzz
space
the people mover ( no wheel chair either)

I know I am missing a lot

for resrountes it depends on where you go some might ask you to park the ECV and use a wheel chair or transfer to a set

POTCB is probably Pirates of the Caribbean .

I know that you have to transfer to a wheelchair for that ride.
Yes this is POTCB and yes you do need to use a wheelchair for this ride and most of the time they would like you to use one of there as the load unload are in two different buildings and getting a guest own wheel chair in time can be hard.

most restaurants ask you to leave the scooter at the entrance since it is so crowded at the tables. even CS ones can be a PITA to maneuver around the lines. in fact many times I wheel over to my seat, transfer then the chair gets folded up and stashed in a corner as it takes up more room than just a standard chair

rides that require you to transfer to a manual chair are so listed at the ride entrance( and on the maps)

same with attractions

be advised that a power chair learning curve is pretty steep and if you do not already use one regularly, it will be nearly impossible to get the hang of it at WDW and some places will not even consider renting you one unless you own one at home.

In Pandora, unless you get an actual electric chair that can switch to manual (I know people that have them), your scooter will have to be left behind at some point at the Navi River. I'm not sure where you transfer into the bike chair on Flight of Passage.
Some boat transportation may not be able to take you, but they'll radio for a boat if the water is ok for it. I'm thinking of the GF/Poly transfer and the WL/Contemporary/MK transfers.
If you look on the maps, especially the guest for disabilities maps available online, it'll say what you have to transfer manually for.
The TS restaurants, especially if you let them know you're coming, will make accommodations and can move a chair, but those with scooters are expected to have a bit more mobility in my experience- at least to transfer to a chair and back so they can park the scooter out of the way.
Hope this helps!

In Pandora, unless you get an actual electric chair that can switch to manual (I know people that have them), your scooter will have to be left behind at some point at the Navi River. I'm not sure where you transfer into the bike chair on Flight of Passage.
Some boat transportation may not be able to take you, but they'll radio for a boat if the water is ok for it. I'm thinking of the GF/Poly transfer and the WL/Contemporary/MK transfers.
If you look on the maps, especially the guest for disabilities maps available online, it'll say what you have to transfer manually for.
The TS restaurants, especially if you let them know you're coming, will make accommodations and can move a chair, but those with scooters are expected to have a bit more mobility in my experience- at least to transfer to a chair and back so they can park the scooter out of the way.
Hope this helps!
for pandora FOP you can go in wither line ( stand by or FP) then at the merge point you will wait in a line when you get to the end you will be ack if you can walk and stand for a while ( I think it was like 50 yards and stand for 10 minutes if you can not then a wheel chair will be brought out for you.

the river one it was too the load point and walk maybe 50-100 feet. and maybe stand for 1 or 2 minutes. if you can not do this they being you to the unload area where you can pull up right next to the boat ( or at lest this is what they did during the preview have not do the river one since)

As far as I know, there are no boats on the MK-GF-Poly loop that can accommodate an ECV or power chair, and no boats available for radio calls. The MK-WL-FW and CR-WL-FW loops do have the larger Friendship boats, so if the current boat is the small launch, the next one will be the accessible boat.

Essentially, I'm currently in a manual wheelchair & considering ecv or motorized wheelchair.

We are thinking probably a scooter due to cost and size (fitting in trunk of car)

I'm wondering though-where might I not be able to take the scooter-
Restaurants?
Rides?
Attractions?

I would be unable to transfer to a manual chair as dmil will be utilising my dh for her chair..

Any info gladly accepted.

The huge majority of WDW will be accessible to you. As noted above, there are some rides where you will have to transfer, either to a supplied wheelchair, or a ride vehicle.

I have zero problems with my personal ECV in shops, shows, and dining venues of all kinds at WDW. Most of the bathrooms are fine as well - obviously the handicapped stall is what you will aim for - but I typically try to find a family/companion restroom.

WDW is by far the most accessible, mobility-friendly place I travel to.

As far as I know, there are no boats on the MK-GF-Poly loop that can accommodate an ECV or power chair, and no boats available for radio calls. The MK-WL-FW and CR-WL-FW loops do have the larger Friendship boats, so if the current boat is the small launch, the next one will be the accessible boat.
Thanks- it's been a long while since we've taken a chair on the GF/Poly route.

for pandora FOP you can go in wither line ( stand by or FP) then at the merge point you will wait in a line when you get to the end you will be ack if you can walk and stand for a while ( I think it was like 50 yards and stand for 10 minutes if you can not then a wheel chair will be brought out for you.

the river one it was too the load point and walk maybe 50-100 feet. and maybe stand for 1 or 2 minutes. if you can not do this they being you to the unload area where you can pull up right next to the boat ( or at lest this is what they did during the preview have not do the river one since)[/Q

Thanks! This is the info I have been looking for! I will be with my father who has mobility but cannot walk long distances or stand for long periods of time. My only remaining question is how do we get back to the ecv? Do we come back to where we left the ecv or are they brought to the exit?

Thanks! This is the info I have been looking for! I will be with my father who has mobility but cannot walk long distances or stand for long periods of time. My only remaining question is how do we get back to the ecv? Do we come back to where we left the ecv or are they brought to the exit?
The CM will move the ECV for you. if the unload load area is in different location.

Within reason. Yes, at, say, Test Track or Tower of Terror. No at POTC
of course this is for lines that allow ECV in the line, POTCB dose not this ride and buZZ you have to get a week chair ( or walk the line) and at POTCB they have. a few wheel chair at the unload area ( back stage) and when someone is in one at the load area they let the unload area know. buzz you go thought the line and then you load in the unload area.

Laura C The CM at the rides will tell you what to do for each ride but you take the mobility device ( ECV wheel chair what ever) in line with you and where you unload is in a different area you device will be come to the unload area for you. If you chose to parkie while you go in line then it might be moved. Like strollers are moved to make more room

of course this is for lines that allow ECV in the line, POTCB dose not this ride and buZZ you have to get a week chair ( or walk the line) and at POTCB they have. a few wheel chair at the unload area ( back stage) and when someone is in one at the load area they let the unload area know. buzz you go thought the line and then you load in the unload area.

Laura C The CM at the rides will tell you what to do for each ride but you take the mobility device ( ECV wheel chair what ever) in line with you and where you unload is in a different area you device will be come to the unload area for you. If you chose to parkie while you go in line then it might be moved. Like strollers are moved to make more room

Thanks! That was what I was looking for. My dad is 84 and won't be going on Tower of Terror or other thrill rides but we will be looking to ride the more sedate track-type rides (Potc, JungleCruise, Haunted Mnsion, IASW, Navi River Journey, Kilimanjaro Safari, etc). We are mainly going just to spend time as a family with the grandkids and watch fireworks and shows. He can walk and has mobility. He just can't do that for long periods of time.

One more question, if I may. His balance isn't always the greatest. He walks fine but I am concerned with the moving walkways at Haunted Mansion, the People Mover and others. I've heard that the CM's can slow these down or stop them temporarily. Is that accurate?

One more question, if I may. His balance isn't always the greatest. He walks fine but I am concerned with the moving walkways at Haunted Mansion, the People Mover and others. I've heard that the CM's can slow these down or stop them temporarily. Is that accurate?

Yes, But the people mover, and Peter Pan can not be stoped ( there might be a chance the people mover can be stoped now, you can ask a CM, but Peter Pan they some times can not restart the ride and they have to call the fire department out to get guest off the ride.

At HM you have to transfer to a WC in case that hasn't been mentioned.

At HM you have to transfer to a WC in case that hasn't been mentioned.
my friend did HM in her ECV not too long ago. Is this some thing new? like she was there 2 weeks a go.

or do you mean at the end if you need to get right up to the load area

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter