Where at DL do I get fastpasses?

rszdtrvl

DIS Veteran
I have read all about them and realized we will probably need them since we are going in Spring Break time.

Where do I go to get them? Do they run out? If they do, how quickly have you been there when they ran out?

Thanks!

Fast Pass machines are located near the front off the attractions that offer it... just look to the left or right and you should see them :-)

If you look on the DL website, they have a list of the attractions that have FP. Yes, they occasionally do run out of FPs on busy days. Sometimes I have shown up late morning, and the FPs for things like Space Mountain were already showing return times of 10:00 at night. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Some of them are hard to find and the signage is confusing. You want to look for the sign that says "Fastpass Distribution" near the entrance to the ride. You might have to wind around a bit to find the actual machines.

Rides with FP.
DL: -Space Mountain (runs out during busy seasons around late afternoon/early evening)
-Indiana Jones Adventure (runs out by evening during busy seasons)
-Splash Mountain(runs out by evening during busy seasons)
-Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
-Buzz Lightyear's Astroblasters
-Autopia
-Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin

DCA: -Soarin (runs out by late afternoon/early evening during busy seasons)
-California Screamin (runs out by late afternoon/early evening during busy seasons)
-Tower of Terror
-Mulholland Madness
-Grizzly River Run

FP machines are by its attraction's entrance. It's clear for most attractions. Indy and Splash's are a little off to the side, but they aren't that hard to find. All others are pretty much directly next to the ride entrances.

Couple of hints: You can hold a FP for a ride at both parks at the same time. i.e. you can get a FP for Space and then hop over to DCA and get a FP for Soarin

You can hold a FP for Roger Rabbit at the same time as another DL FP attraction. You can hold a FP for Grizzly River Run at the same time as another DCA FP attraction. This is because both of these attractions are disconnected to the FP system. i.e. you can get a FP for Space and then immediately get a FP for Roger Rabbit

Combining both of these strategies, it is possible to obtain 4 sets of FP's in less than 30 min.

We just got back and I noticed that some of the rides that had fast passes weren't issuing fast passes as the lines were like 15min waits. Maybe they do it when they get really long lines?? We did get lucky and win Dream FastPasses. Ironically it was on our last day and we had to leave in 2 1/2 hours after receiving them to leave for the airport and catch our plane. It was nice though to use up what we could. The dreampass gives you passes for both parks only for that day and you can use it at anytime on that day only 1 time for that ride, they collect the little plastic pc off of the pass. It was awesome to just walk right up and get on the rides. Too bad we couldn't use them to the max or win them the day or 2 before when we had been there.

During slower times some rides that have FP will not have the machines turned on because you don't need it.

Ditto what Christa and Missy said...if the lines are not long, they won't be issuing Fastpass. If they ARE issuing, you will see a sign that tells you what time your return ticket will be, so you know about how much time you'll have to kill before coming back.

I found some of them very difficult to find. You are looking for a row of boxes that are about the size of a U.S. blue postal mailbox, the kind you see on the street, not the home kind.

Okay, thanks.

I thought that maybe you had to go to a certain area to get the fastpass first and then you could use it for the rides. Like go to guest services to get a fastpass, and then it would be yours to use.

So, my tickets will be fastpass ready? When I get to a ride that has fastpass, if it is a huge line, I just stick my tickets to the machine, and then I get my pass and time to arrive, right? There is nothing else I need to do?

I am only asking because it seems like if fastpass is such a good idea, everyone should use it when the park is busy. I am just a bit confused.

Only 76 days until my trip and I am so anxious to get everything squared away.

:thumbsup2

And on more tip/trick, you officially have a one hour window to return to use the FP but you can in practice use the FP at any time after the start time on the FP. So say you have a FP for Space for 1:20 - 2:20 but were "stuck" in line for Nemo and didnt get off the ride until say 2:30, you can still use the FP. Or you get the FP and your little ones need a nap so you go back to the hotel and don't get back to the park until 4pm, you can still use the FP. As long as the window start time has begun you can use the FP. You can NOT use the FP if the window start time as not begun or one from a previous day.

So, my tickets will be fastpass ready? When I get to a ride that has fastpass, if it is a huge line, I just stick my tickets to the machine, and then I get my pass and time to arrive, right? There is nothing else I need to do?

This is correct! Once your ticket has been used for admission at the gates, it is ready to go!

Also for everyone who has said that if the ride doesn't have a long line it won't offer FP, the OP said that they are going in Spring Break. I can guarantee that the FP machines will be running for all attractions during this very busy time.

I am only asking because it seems like if fastpass is such a good idea, everyone should use it when the park is busy. I am just a bit confused.

You would think that, wouldn't you? But you would be amazed at how many people just do not use it.

I don't pay much attention to looks others are giving me at the parks, but many here have described nasty looks, or even comments about cutting the line, from those in the regular "standby" lines. They think it's sneaky, or that the FP user paid for the privilege, and they have no idea that they could do it to. Despite it being discussed on the maps with pictures and everything.

My two little snippets of advice, though...I haven't found the FP for Autopia to be much help. Indy FP is helpful, but not as helpful as one thinks. You are linked up with the standby line sooner than you expect, because it seems that everyone has to see the safety film, and there's more line beyond that.

We just got back and I noticed that some of the rides that had fast passes weren't issuing fast passes as the lines were like 15min waits. Maybe they do it when they get really long lines?? We did get lucky and win Dream FastPasses. Ironically it was on our last day and we had to leave in 2 1/2 hours after receiving them to leave for the airport and catch our plane. It was nice though to use up what we could. The dreampass gives you passes for both parks only for that day and you can use it at anytime on that day only 1 time for that ride, they collect the little plastic pc off of the pass. It was awesome to just walk right up and get on the rides. Too bad we couldn't use them to the max or win them the day or 2 before when we had been there.

This frustrates me. We just spent a week in DL at the beginning of December. They closed the fast passes for Autopia the entire time we were there and the line was like 45 minutes. When I asked a CM about it he said it was because they weren't busy enough. WHAT? 45 minutes isn't busy enough???

No seriously, FPs for Autopia don't help unless the standby line is longer than that. FPs for Autopia, IMO, are borderline useless.

"Busy" is not based on the ride itself but on overall attendence. First week of December is usually lower attendence and is why some of the FP were not being used. Autopia is so slow loading that 30 - 45 mins is about an average wait even with FP.

To the OP, this thread may help as it explains how FP works using photos:

"FastPass for Dummies and Smarties - A Photographic Explanation" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1186052

Once you know how it works and you want to how to maximize it, then these threads will help

"Getting the Most Out of FastPass During High Season" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=885132 (Note that all info in this two-year-old thread is still valid)

"Which Fast Pass First?" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1107718 (see my post #4 in that thread)

The fastpass thing is so funny. My son and I know how to maximize our usage of fastpasses, but there are some rides that it is just not necessary. I don't agree with the poster who said that its a waste for Indy. If you are lined up in the line outside, you will definitely be wishing for a fastpass. They used to have fastpasses on POTC - but that was really useless. Even if there is a rope line outside the attraction, it only takes at the MOST 20 minutes. Its a very fast loading ride. Haunted Mansion sometimes has fastpasses and sometimes doesn't. Its another one of those fast moving lines so for me that is just a waste. . .the line just doesn't take that long. Autopia is good for a fastpass if there are people weaving through the stadium portion of the line. Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railway, Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin, Splash Mountain, Soarin, and California Screamin are musts for fastpasses. Tower of Terror has fastpasses but the line moves relatively quickly so its really a personal choice. . .oh and the wait time on the gate always says 13 minutes at the minimum so even if its a 5 minute wait, the sign will say 13 minutes. Mulholland Madness is usually not too busy so not really necessary to get a fastpass. And Grizzly River Rapids has fastpass but the longest wait I have ever seen there is 20 minutes.

Hope that helps.

What time do they start dispensing FP's? Right at park opening? And if it's EE, can you get FP for everythin or just the rides that are open for EE?

What time do they start dispensing FP's? Right at park opening? And if it's EE, can you get FP for everythin or just the rides that are open for EE?
FPs start dispensing at DL and DCA at regular park hour opening. Not during EE/MM at DL and not during the 30 minute early gate opening at DCA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter