Where are (or were) the crowds?????

We stayed away from the parks, but we're annual passholders, with the exception to the hard ticket events we had purchased three out of the four nights we were there over Christmas. We were in Hollywood Studios on Christmas day and I dare say it was actually tolerable.

I have to ask...if you're annual
Passholders...why on earth are you buying $300 a person in hard ticket events?

What's the point of the pass?

Because you can't access the hard ticket events, besides MVMCP, without admission.

However, I misspoke. The parties are not "hard ticket" events, but require separate purchase on top of admission. Sorry about that. I was typing fast.

Because you can't access the hard ticket events, besides MVMCP, without admission.

However, I misspoke. The parties are not "hard ticket" events, but require separate purchase on top of admission. Sorry about that. I was typing fast.

I wasn't under the impression that you get anything more than general admission with the annual pass. MVMCP and MNSSHP and the like would be extra.

I'm going to speculate on the will-they or won't-they raise ticket prices next year:

They will.

Even if they do a minor increase ($1) they'll do it just to do it. They won't want to set any sort of precedent of not doing an increase.

Yeah...having sold hard ticket events in the past (when they were reasonably priced)...I understand the distinction...

I'm trying to understand why a Florida resident would go there during the "you gotta be kidding me?" Crowd period and reward disney with upsell purchases...I'm missing the logistics of how it makes sense in my head.

Yeah...having sold hard ticket events in the past (when they were reasonably priced)...I understand the distinction...

I'm trying to understand why a Florida resident would go there during the "you gotta be kidding me?" Crowd period and reward disney with upsell purchases...I'm missing the logistics of how it makes sense in my head.

Because we have nothing better to do?

How are we rewarding Disney and not ourselves? We got to experience the parks at Christmas, which if you've ever been, you know how lovely they are this time of year even with the crazy crowds, which this year was actually much more tolerable than past years, and even though they were tolerable, we still got to avoid them by paying to access "VIP" areas. So, Disney made more money, I have it to spend, I got to avoid the crowds, so why not?

Now I understand ;).

I like the parades and extra characters and the stage shows and dance parties.

That said - they increased last year beyond my threshold and I doubt I go back again.

I'm going to speculate on the will-they or won't-they raise ticket prices next year:

They will.

Even if they do a minor increase ($1) they'll do it just to do it. They won't want to set any sort of precedent of not doing an increase.

I agree...and since all the "competitors" in town collude on these things now...there is a pressure/understanding that these things are "expected" to be done.

But my point (has been for years) is that there is a price limit to a disposable product of this kind. Pay for most people never increase "s relative to inflation. And if they wanted a country club type clientele of 10,000 or so it would work. But they need tens of millions and there is not enough wealth spread out willing to go to sustain that (I have a great recent anecdote about that).

Now I understand ;).

I like the parades and extra characters and the stage shows and dance parties.

That said - they increased last year beyond my threshold and I doubt I go back again.

I hear you...

Funny how I recently looked at an old DVC newsletter - fall 2013 - that had the "special price" for the Halloween and Xmas events at $67.00 per person...

At the HORRID Halloween party in Anaheim this year? $95

That is not a sustainable formula.

I agree...and since all the "competitors" in town collude on these things now...there is a pressure/understanding that these things are "expected" to be done.

But my point (has been for years) is that there is a price limit to a disposable product of this kind. Pay for most people never increase "s relative to inflation. And if they wanted a country club type clientele of 10,000 or so it would work. But they need tens of millions and there is not enough wealth spread out willing to go to sustain that (I have a great recent anecdote about that).

I agree with you and I think Disney is even starting to reach too far into my pockets. Before, our annual pass renewal was a no brainer. Now, we go back and forth for months about it before we ultimately decide to renew. However, it's a much longer consideration this year than in years past. We're definitely not renewing my mother this year.

I agree with you and I think Disney is even starting to reach too far into my pockets. Before, our annual pass renewal was a no brainer. Now, we go back and forth for months about it before we ultimately decide to renew. However, it's a much longer consideration this year than in years past. We're definitely not renewing my mother this year.

I'm with you. We have changed our policy on pass renewal greatly...and it's not the prices that crunch me. It's the principal of them exploiting me after 10 years of not attempting to better the parks - and by doing so cheapening what they had done - that has turned me off to much of the experiences and my habits.

I'm with you. We have changed our policy on pass renewal greatly...and it's not the prices that crunch me. It's the principal of them exploiting me after 10 years of not attempting to better the parks - and by doing so cheapening what they had done - that has turned me off to much of the experiences and my habits.

I understand that completely. I will tell you, I thought the addition of the AP line was nice, but once I experienced it in person I think it's GREAT. So, if they keep moving in this direction where being an AP carries a certain amount of privilege, I will keep renewing. If they do away with it, I probably won't. My husband is excited to see StarWars land and Pandora, but is ok waiting until 2018 to renew and letting them lapse for the remainder of 2017.

Also, the 20% discount was heavily used by our party this trip and I feel that's where the discount level should remain. We saved over $300 using our passes for discounts and while I know you'll say that things are overpriced to being with and we just paid what things should have cost, that's not reality. But, just in this trip alone, we covered the cost of my mother's pass by buying things I would have bought anyway.

Far more people are joining the have nots than the haves, and the price increases surely don't take this into account.

I've done AP once, but I will only buy during/prior to a trip and plan a trip in the following 12 months. I doubt very much I ever do a renewal.

How are we rewarding Disney and not ourselves? We got to experience the parks at Christmas, which if you've ever been, you know how lovely they are this time of year even with the crazy crowds, which this year was actually much more tolerable than past years, and even though they were tolerable, we still got to avoid them by paying to access "VIP" areas. So, Disney made more money, I have it to spend, I got to avoid the crowds, so why not?

Yep same. So good here right now.

MK shows are great as is the XMAS parade and 3 night shows at DHS plus that Illuminations ending. Of course 80's don't hurt.

Surprised our AP actually went down in price this year.

Last edited:

Have I ever been?

I mean...yeah...it's been done.

Nice decorations, unbearable/uncomfortable crowds, good background music, silly prices...bout cover it?

Also, the 20% discount was heavily used by our party this trip and I feel that's where the discount level should remain. We saved over $300 using our passes for discounts and while I know you'll say that things are overpriced to being with and we just paid what things should have cost, that's not reality. But, just in this trip alone, we covered the cost of my mother's pass by buying things I would have bought anyway.

Actually i wouldn't say that...

What I would say is that there is no way in hades that the quality of the merchandise would lead me to a $1500 bill to save $300.

But to each their own. The merchandise has seen considerable decline over the past 20 years. And if I were to buy things...they would also be tempered by the price increases that aren't justified for food, lodging and tickets.

But again...it's a matter of perspective.

Actually i wouldn't say that...

What I would say is that there is no way in hades that the quality of the merchandise would lead me to a $1500 bill to save $300.

But to each their own. The merchandise has seen considerable decline over the past 20 years. And if I were to buy things...they would also be tempered by the price increases that aren't justified for food, lodging and tickets.

But again...it's a matter of perspective.

Xmas shopping and discounts on food.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter