When you camp at the Fort, do you cook most of your meals?

monkeybug

<font color=blue>I feel safer when I know where th
Or do you let Disney take care of the cooking?
Our original plan was to cook most meals at the campground, but then I got to thinking about how much I enjoy not cooking while on vacation, and now I'm considering the dining plan. :)
I was just curious to hear what most veteran Fort campers choose.

I enjoy not cooking, but I enjoy getting to do more fun things like BBB, Lego store, gifts with that pile of cash that I save by not eating their food. I do however eat x2 meals at Trails End, but that's usually it.

A lot of the places in the parks have, to me, decreased in diversity / quality while being crazy on costs. The meal plan used to be a money saver, but not anymore. One of the big reasons I camp is to save money on the site ( cheaper than resort) but mainly save in food costs.

I enjoy not cooking, but I enjoy getting to do more fun things like BBB, Lego store, gifts with that pile of cash that I save by not eating their food. I do however eat x2 meals at Trails End, but that's usually it.

A lot of the places in the parks have, to me, decreased in diversity / quality while being crazy on costs. The meal plan used to be a money saver, but not anymore. One of the big reasons I camp is to save money on the site ( cheaper than resort) but mainly save in food costs.
I definitely agree that Disney has jacked up the prices, but not the quality. In truth, we don't love most of the food at Disney, it's okay, but we choose Disney restaurants based on unique experience only now. If I'm shelling out $45 for a meal that tastes like something I could get at Applebees for $12, then it better include some sort of unique experience, other than than the experience of getting ripped off. Lol!
The only reason we were considering the dining plan is that we want to take my 5 year old to a few character meals and we want to see Hoop De Doo review, the difference between paying oop for those and counter service while we're in the parks and getting the dining plan was close enough that we thought it might be worth paying more for.
I like the cash too though, which is why I'm wavering between getting it or ditching it.

We usually cook mostly at the camper, a few TS meals and a few meals off property.

Our original plan was to cook most meals at the campground, but then I got to thinking about how much I enjoy not cooking while on vacation, and now I'm considering the dining plan. :)
We eat breakfast at the camp site whether its something quick like bagels or we cook eggs,bacon, hash browns etc..
For dinner we like to eat at different restaurants around Wdw Cape May Buffet, Sanaa, Biergarten, etc..
We have the tables in wonderland discount card that we can use at pretty much all of the full service restaurants

Breakfast and lunch at the RV every day but one or two at Trails end breakfast.

First night at the Fort we HAVE to go across the water to Ohana. Booked well in advance! The rest of the dinners we eat at the parks. If it is not a park day, we eat at the RV or Trails end or Whispering Pines.

I got the Disney Visa card specifically to rack up points for our yearly trip to be used almost solely on dining. I pay all bills and buy everything on the Disney card and pay it off each month. That way I pay no interest but still get the points. I go down to Disney with about $400-500 to rip out on food just from using that card, and it costs me nothing!

First night at the Fort we HAVE to go across the water to Ohana. Booked well in advance! The rest of the dinners we eat at the parks. If it is not a park day, we eat at the RV or Trails end or Whispering Pines.

I got the Disney Visa card specifically to rack up points for our yearly trip to be used almost solely on dining. I pay all bills and buy everything on the Disney card and pay it off each month. That way I pay no interest but still get the points. I go down to Disney with about $400-500 to rip out on food just from using that card, and it costs me nothing!
We usually do Ohana each trip too, but last time we didn't have a great experience. I still got a reservation, but I'm having a hard time convincing my husband to give it another shot.
What's Whispering Pines? I haven't heard of that one before.
And we've been considering getting the Disney card and using it the same way, they are offering a $200 statement credit right now, so after fees that should cover at least a round of Mickey Bars for the family. Lol!

You will get various replies - some cook all, or most meals, while others cook none. We are in the 'camp' of cooking none while at Disney. It's vacation for me, and as much as I love to cook, I'll pass while there.

Dh & I aren't huge eaters and normally plan one large meal per day (whether a large late breakfast or lunch or dinner). The rest of the time we 'wing it', enjoying snacks when we like, or getting a CS at times if we need something more substantial.
Character meals are not our thing anymore so the DDP is definitely not a value for us. We actually don't spend much on food, but do eat what we want and enjoy it. Cape May Dinner and Trails End are our favorites, but usually also go to 'Ohana and Boma.

We usually do Ohana each trip too, but last time we didn't have a great experience. I still got a reservation, but I'm having a hard time convincing my husband to give it another shot.
What's Whispering Pines? I haven't heard of that one before.
And we've been considering getting the Disney card and using it the same way, they are offering a $200 statement credit right now, so after fees that should cover at least a round of Mickey Bars for the family. Lol!

Whispering Pines is over at Wilderness Lodge. Good, home style food, similar to trails end or Hooptie Do fare. The thing is, it's one of those places where the staff are "rude" on purpose and in a comical way. You have to experience it. If you can, bring someone who doesn't know the rudeness is part of the act. It's a blast!

We got the Disney card that only offers the 1% cash reward instead of the 2% because it had no annual fee. In hind sight, it probably would have worked out better for us to go with the annual fee card and earned more back even accounting for the fee but oh well. The trick is to use it for EVERYTHING you buy and any bill you can pay with a Visa card but then pay it off each month. Just paying for the Fort reservation and ticket package alone earned us $35. Groceries, gas and clothing, cable/cell phone bill etc every month.

Most meals? No.

Most breakfasts are at the camper but lunch is almost always a CS meal. We may do half our dinners at a a TS and HDDR. The other half we might eat at the camper.

Eating at the camper is certainly cheaper but just interrupts our day at the parks too much. We don't get to go to Disney as often as some here so the more time we're at the park, the better.

Whispering Pines is over at Wilderness Lodge. Good, home style food, similar to trails end or Hooptie Do fare. The thing is, it's one of those places where the staff are "rude" on purpose and in a comical way. You have to experience it. If you can, bring someone who doesn't know the rudeness is part of the act. It's a blast!

We got the Disney card that only offers the 1% cash reward instead of the 2% because it had no annual fee. In hind sight, it probably would have worked out better for us to go with the annual fee card and earned more back even accounting for the fee but oh well. The trick is to use it for EVERYTHING you buy and any bill you can pay with a Visa card but then pay it off each month. Just paying for the Fort reservation and ticket package alone earned us $35. Groceries, gas and clothing, cable/cell phone bill etc every month.
Oh, Whispering Canyon! I don't know why my brain didn't make that connection, I was thinking Whispering Pines was something off-site! lol! We are going to Whispering Canyon this trip! We've been before, but the kids don't remember. It's scheduled for our arrival night and I thought it would be a fun way to start the trip. :)
And that sounds like a good way to use the card! We do the 2% thing with Costco and always get a ton back, but we're moving to where there is no Costco soon and need something to replace it!

We had the Disney card for a couple of years. But now I've gone to the Citi card. 1% back on everything. Then another 1% on how much you pay on your bill. If you pay your bill in full each month, its 2% cash on everything. That's racking up very fast. Between the Disney card we had before and the Citi card we have now, our 10 day trip in December will be fully paid for including "fun money".

:dogdance:

This this this!! Been doing this for years...will have nearly $1000 for next trip...woohoo! (But that was more than a year of Disney Visa use without using it...only quick 2 day visit after cruise in November, so it's been building :dogdance: )

We do a mix. Book a few ADR at the parks or DS. Always do breakfast at the camper and depending on the day some lunches. We did save a bunch.

We use both the Citi card and Disney Visa. The DV we used at restaurants that give a discount for using it. The $450 we had saved up on Citi, I had it deposited to our Checking and bought slightly discounted Disney gift cards at Sam's Club.

We have been at the Fort twice now. (have 2 more trips actually planned this year).

The first time we did not have the DDP and the second time we did. The DDP is okay for convenience, but value is hard to justify unless you are really a "BIG" eater. You will NOT go hungry on the DDP as you usually get plenty of food. The problem is, is that we don't always want those deserts or sodas. It's nice to get the interactive meals (characters) etc... but in the long run, the cost is probably cheaper OOP for most (but not all... No flames please).

I also have to agree that the CS meals are lacking in variety. It seems it's burgers and chicken sandwiches with a different them/name depending on the restaurant. Same deserts (cookies/brownies/carrot cake/etc...) too.

We do a "Mix" of meals. Typically breakfast in the camper. We do like Ohana for breakfast. (My dd11 LOVES stitch) and have done other character breakfast meals. Lunch is dependent upon what we have planned for the day. If in a park, we will generally eat in the park. If it's a down day we will probably eat in the camper. Dinner is much the same. We do have the regular ADRs that we like on our trips. A crystal Palace and Trails End are almost always on the list somewhere. This time we are doing the Hoop-Dee-Doo review for the first time too.

Even our meals in the camper aren't too complex. maybe once or twice on a 9 day stay I'll make eggs and bacon (on electric griddle outside the camper). Sandwiches for lunch. Dinner might be crock pot meal or burgers and hotdogs on the grill.

We do a mix. Breakfast is almost always in the camper. Most days we pack lunch and snacks (sandwiches, fruit, drinks) and dinner is usually a TS buffet or AYCE. This lets me feel better about buying $5 cupcakes or cotton candy for the kids because I didn't just drop $60 on a CS lunch.

We did the DDP once at the Fort and found it difficult without a "food court." It was a hassle to refill mugs (we don't have a golf cart and only rented once). We ended up boating over to the Contemporary to use QS credits. I actually prefer not eating ALL Disney food.

We did the DDP once at the Fort and found it difficult without a "food court." It was a hassle to refill mugs (we don't have a golf cart and only rented once). We ended up boating over to the Contemporary to use QS credits. I actually prefer not eating ALL Disney food.

^^ This ^^.

The Fort is not easy to use the DDP on. Personally I don't use the DDP because of its requirement for EVERY day for EVERY guest during your stay. So we pay OOP for the Disney dining (table or counter) service we use and snack/eat at the camper the rest of the time.

In conversations on the Restaurant forum, the one time it DOES approach being useful is if you plan several character meals which the OP intends to do. But again, you have to weigh all the costs, pluses, and minuses.

Bama Ed

We usually eat breakfast in the trailer, although on checkout day I like to eat breakfast at Trails End. I'd say we do 2-3 dinners in the trailer per trip, I use my crockpot and we come back in the early evening for a quick meal and then head back out. Sometimes we will pack a few wraps to bring into the park but usually we just do quick service. We do snacks and bottled water into the parks.

We don't do the dining plan, it's not cost effective for us because we don't drink sodas with our meals or get dessert each meal, it's just too much food. We spend far less paying out of pocket. Also we usually only do a couple table service meals per trip, mostly we do one quick service dinner and a lot of snacking at the parks and we rarely spend that much on food. Maybe $30-$40 max a day per person.

When we went last time, we planned to pack breakfasts (yogurts, granola bars) and we packed sandwiches and snacks to take into the park for lunch. We did end up eating lunch in park twice so we used the sandwiches for dinners. I was SO glad we did it that way because like everyone has said, CS meals were all the same. The only place we do not really bring food is Epcot because the food there was part of it.
Camping this time, I am going to borrow ideas from here and bring a crockpot for hearty dinners on the days we return early (like AK day and our off day).
We will be taking a mid-day break too and we need to have food at the camper to eat so we might as well schedule that in.

I would rather have $ for Schoolbread and turkey legs than buy a $15 burger

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter