When will I find out if my waitlist for Main Dining went through?

cbnsoul

DIS Veteran
We are going on our 5th trip on the Dream on June 5 and have wait listed main dining. On our first two trips, we were either able to book main dining prior to the trip or went to one of the dining rooms to request a change, which was later granted. The last two trips, which were booked late using a VGT rate, we decided to avoid the dining room altogether since the cruises were so short.

For this trip, I'd really like to go to the dining rooms again. We had our travel agent put in a wait list request but I'm not sure when to expect it to clear (if it does)? Would it say in the documents that arrive a month or so before or are the wait lists not addressed until shortly before the cruise sails in which case we would be told at check-in? We have a fairly early PAT (11:30) so I will go to the dining room to request main if our wait list doesn't clear either way. I just don't want to drag a whole bunch of "fancier" clothes with us if the waitlist doesn't come through as we wouldn't do late dining either way.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Last edited:
I had requested to be put on main dining waiting list with Disney(email) even though I booked it through Costco. After about a month or so, I checked online and discovered that we got switched to the main dining but we never received any confirmation via email. We did this with 3 other family members and they all got switched. This is on the Disney Wonder Alaska cruise this coming August.

We booked after the final payment was due so not likely to get others to cancel to potentially open up those slots as you may have had.

we never received any confirmation via email
We've been waitlisted on several of our cruises (including the ones we booked after the Paid in Full date). Everytime it came through. But we never received any notification that we got it. I just found out by checking our reservations periodically. Most of them cleared within a month of making the reservation. The most recent one didn't happen until about 2 weeks out from the cruise.

We didn't receive notification either. If you need to make a change at embarkation, check your Navigator (newsletter you receive as you board) for "dining changes" and go there. It's usually in a lounge, not a dining room.

I've heard some get emails when they are moved, and some don't and only realize that they've been switched when they check their online reservation. I know of someone who found out when she was at the port terminal and she saw her dining time on her KTTW card. So in short, no consistent answer and it will require checking/follow-up on your part.

FWIW, I was waitlisted to switch to main dining for seven months and didn't get switched, I went to Royal Palace when we boarded, as per the Navigator, and showed up 30 minutes early (and was the first in line). I got our dining time switched, and they had openings to switch others as well. So don't lose hope if you don't get switched beforehand!

Always hope even after boarding AND requesting onboard but still being told not available. Last DCL cruise we were a group of ten and even though I booked the cruise 14 months out could not get main dining. Checked every day the last month, went to dining assignments once on board and still told no (because we were such a large group). An hour before main dining got a call we were in!!! Some other large group had an incident and could not get on ship so I felt sorry for them. Now I know actually getting your request doesn't always work but I think it works more times than not.

Keep checking your ressie on-line. When we booked, final payment was due at time of booking and we were waitlisted for main seating. I checked a couple of days ago to find out we got finally got main seating!

We were waitlisted for main dining as well. I was told I would receive an email when and if it was granted. We requested to be on the wait list on 4/9 and on 4/16 I got a confirmation email stating that we are now on the Main dining rotationparty:

I think as long as they have an email on file for you they should send you a confirmation when and if it goes through!!!

I think as long as they have an email on file for you they should send you a confirmation when and if it goes through!!!
Well, "should" and "do" are two different things. We've never received an email telling us that our waitlist came through. And they definitely have an e-mail on file for me.

Well, "should" and "do" are two different things. We've never received an email telling us that our waitlist came through. And they definitely have an e-mail on file for me.

Exactly why I said "should" and not that they will or do. I was just giving my own personal experience with being waitlisted for main dining.

We were wait listed for our cruise this past February. I checked our reservations online a couple times a week, but unfortunately it never changed. When we got onboard I went to request the change and there wasn't any availability. We got a phone call at 4:00 telling us that they were able to fulfill the request and we got our main dining - so it's possible not to have it change right up until that last hour! I would go with the assumption and hope that it will be switched to main, but know that it's not a definite.

I booked in late February for my upcoming May 16 cruise and we were also put on an early seating waitlist. I checked back maybe 2 weeks later and found my request went through! At the same time, I linked my reservation with my friend's who had just booked (and was on the waiting list for early seating) and the DCL agent I spoke to on the phone said if my friend's early seating goes through, then we'll definitely be seated together. A week later, her request also went through.

I don't know if this has to do with the fact we both have toddlers, so perhaps they try their best to accommodate families with young children? in any case, I was surprised how fast and easy it was to request/change to early seating.

I am new to cruising, we have the Disney Dream booked for 12/07/2014, when we booked online thru DCL, it gave us the 2nd seating for dining. I am not understanding the wait list term that this forum is referring to for main dining? Could someone please explain?

I am new to cruising, we have the Disney Dream booked for 12/07/2014, when we booked online thru DCL, it gave us the 2nd seating for dining. I am not understanding the wait list term that this forum is referring to for main dining? Could someone please explain?

If you are allocated second dinner and you want to switch to Main which is full you go on the waitlist for the more popular main dinner,so say if people cancel cruises or move cruises on from your one and they had Main there is an opening on main and the next on the waitlist would get it.

So you are saying "Main" is the first dinner, the earlier one? What is the difference between one being earlier & the other later? I actually prefer the 2nd one (no little kids with me), so that works best for me & my son. But aren't the dinners the same? What is the "Main" more popular? Just because it is the early one?
Thanks for the info !!!! Trying to learn all I can. :)

So you are saying "Main" is the first dinner, the earlier one? What is the difference between one being earlier & the other later? I actually prefer the 2nd one (no little kids with me), so that works best for me & my son. But aren't the dinners the same? What is the "Main" more popular? Just because it is the early one?
Thanks for the info !!!! Trying to learn all I can. :)
Yes, unlike most other cruiselines, on DCL "main" refers to the early seating. The meals served are the same. Many people with younger children prefer dining early. Some do not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter