WHEN to tell school?

Mommy2Lots said:
I never heard of any paperwork to be filled out.

The paper work is just a paper that says the child will be out of school for a vacation (it doesn't matter where) and lists the dates he/she will be gone. No big deal. The child is allowed to make up all work.

ribbot said:
Boy, my son must be in a strict school, because he missed one day in Kindergarten because of pinkeye and he had 14 pages he had to complete. I could only imagine if I took him out for a week-long trip

WOW! I'd seriously evaluate what your son is doing in school everyday. If this is a normal occurrence, 14 papers in a day, I'd speak to the teacher or stop in for a visit. Kindergarteners should be active learners, not at a desk or table doing that many papers!

ribbot said:
Boy, my son must be in a strict school, because he missed one day in Kindergarten because of pinkeye and he had 14 pages he had to complete.

RIBBOT: Wow - what state do you live in?

I'm worried about telling the principal because DD's school is very strict. Only can miss 5 days the entire year with parent notes and they emphasize this every oppurtunity. I hate this policy because kids come to school sick all the time. Anyway I told her teacher already, now I just have to clear it with the principal. We leave in 2 weeks so today might be good. She has only been back to school for 2 weeks also. The teacher said she has to give me work and it's alot and we leaving after school Friday and not returning until the next Sunday so we have to find time to do all her reading work. :sad2:

In whatever letter you decide to do, please don't use the "it's really an educational trip" line. It's a load of bull and teachers and administrators see right through it. It's kindergarten forcryinoutloud.

Just be up front and honest: Yes, we are going to WDW.

It would be nice if you offered to the teacher to go in in assist in putting your childs' make-up work packet together. Probably won't take you up on it, but it helps and is a very nice gesture.

Have fun.

kaysmommie said:
I'm worried about telling the principal because DD's school is very strict. Only can miss 5 days the entire year with parent notes and they emphasize this every oppurtunity. I hate this policy because kids come to school sick all the time. Anyway I told her teacher already, now I just have to clear it with the principal. We leave in 2 weeks so today might be good. She has only been back to school for 2 weeks also. The teacher said she has to give me work and it's alot and we leaving after school Friday and not returning until the next Sunday so we have to find time to do all her reading work. :sad2:

Only 5? Guess they expect well children year around.

I keep my son's Handbook close by (I have to challenge some teachers on school uniforms-and this way I have the info at my finger tips), his actually says they must attend every day of the 180 day school year. I can't find where they have a set number they can not go beyond for missing.

The only thing they say about absenses, is that family vacations are NOT excused. But each child has 1 day-per missed school day to make up any work. No mention of excused or not.

The only other thing it really mentions is that the student may be responsible for showing time off does not/will not negatively affect performance mastory. And they "can" receive a ZERO on any test given during an unexcused absense.

Good luck and have fun! :teeth:

My DD (2nd grade) is an All Star Cheerleader so I informed her teacher ASAP as to what days she would be absent for competitions and such. Well, when I met with her teacher in October for parent/teacher conferences I again told her teacher about the upcoming competitions and also that DD would be absent for a week for a Disney vacation. I was told "no problem - just send in a note and I'll make sure to send along any work that she would miss". Well, I sent in the note on a Wednesday - late March - letting the school know again that DD would be absent from xx -xx. I get a phone call the next day from the attendance person informing me that I need to set up an intervention meeting with her for when we return. Okay, meeting set, go to competition and do the World, return home, and next day go to DD's school for meeting. Long story short, I was informed that the 5 day vacation was considered illegal and that DD is now a truant!!! Our school district has a 10 day absent policy (you are able to be absent 10 days w/o having to repeat grade). I thought we were in the clear because up to this trip, DD had only been absent 1 day. Turns out that as soon as you are absent 3 consecutive days you need a Doctor's note. (Nowhere in the school handbook is this written). Well, now DD can not be absent w/o a Doctor's note until March of this year. (Yep, one year restriction). This is the reason that we scheduled our upcoming trip over the Christmas holiday - no school to be missed!!

momof2dizkids said:
My DD (2nd grade) is an All Star Cheerleader so I informed her teacher ASAP as to what days she would be absent for competitions and such. Well, when I met with her teacher in October for parent/teacher conferences I again told her teacher about the upcoming competitions and also that DD would be absent for a week for a Disney vacation. I was told "no problem - just send in a note and I'll make sure to send along any work that she would miss". Well, I sent in the note on a Wednesday - late March - letting the school know again that DD would be absent from xx -xx. I get a phone call the next day from the attendance person informing me that I need to set up an intervention meeting with her for when we return. Okay, meeting set, go to competition and do the World, return home, and next day go to DD's school for meeting. Long story short, I was informed that the 5 day vacation was considered illegal and that DD is now a truant!!! Our school district has a 10 day absent policy (you are able to be absent 10 days w/o having to repeat grade). I thought we were in the clear because up to this trip, DD had only been absent 1 day. Turns out that as soon as you are absent 3 consecutive days you need a Doctor's note. (Nowhere in the school handbook is this written). Well, now DD can not be absent w/o a Doctor's note until March of this year. (Yep, one year restriction). This is the reason that we scheduled our upcoming trip over the Christmas holiday - no school to be missed!!

Wow-that seems harsh. I know if that happned to DS, I would appeal all the way to the county school board, about needing the Dr's note for even one missed day.

I wish you both good thoughts that she does stay well, and no sick days. :thumbsup2

Yes it does seem kind of harsh. After the intervention meeting w/ attendance person, we set up a meeting with the principal because we were never aware of this policy. Also, we were kind of miffed because when I called to set up the meeting (before we left for our trip) we weren't told "if you miss 5 days in a row, then this is the consequence". The reason that they don't tell you that is because of some law. They used to have the meetings before the absences, but they got in trouble because they weren't following the correct procedures with the notifying of the parents and intervention.They were having the intervention meetings before the absences actually took place. We brought the handbook along with us to prove that it is not written anywhere inside the book. Her response was "well, if we print everything then the book would be huge and no one would read it". WHAT?! We were also told that if she missed anymore school for the remaining of that school year, we would have to go to court. Now, DD is an excellent student. She is in the gifted program and she had already qualified for the gifted/talented program for 3rd grade based on her 2nd grade scores. Thankfully her first cheer competition isn't until January - so I have a few months to make a good impression. They could legally still send us to court if DD misses ONE DAY w/o a doctor's note until March. Unfortunately, I don't have any doctor friends that could save my skin.

EagleHasLanded said:
In whatever letter you decide to do, please don't use the "it's really an educational trip" line. It's a load of bull and teachers and administrators see right through it. It's kindergarten forcryinoutloud.

Just be up front and honest: Yes, we are going to WDW.

It would be nice if you offered to the teacher to go in in assist in putting your childs' make-up work packet together. Probably won't take you up on it, but it helps and is a very nice gesture.

Have fun.

As a teacher for over 10 years, I would not be upset if a parent told me that part of the trip is "educational." You must have forgotten that learning does not just take place in the classroom.

I would inform any school two weeks prior to going. This is ample time for a teacher to provide work. Many children need to take off from school for different reasons such as medical, death of a family member, vacations, etc. Life is way too short to deny any family valuable time to spend together.

Enjoy your time with your children.

I'm doing the same thing with my kindergartener this December. I'm letting the teacher know at Open house August 29th. Right after I ask her when in December the baby is due, how much maternity leave is she taking. ;) Hey, if she can take off 12 weeks, surely my son can take off 4 days.

According to our district, we can not get work ahead of time & all work needs to be made up in the same time period as the absence (gone 4 days, must be made 4 days after returning. In order for this absence to be excused, I need to get the principal to approve it (& in advance). It's just kindergarten though, and he already reads. :confused3 It would be kind of silly not to approve it. And as a bonus, once approved this year, pulling him out next Oct. should be a bit easier.

maxtomsmom said:
As a teacher for over 10 years, I would not be upset if a parent told me that part of the trip is "educational." You must have forgotten that learning does not just take place in the classroom.

I would inform any school two weeks prior to going. This is ample time for a teacher to provide work. Many children need to take off from school for different reasons such as medical, death of a family member, vacations, etc. Life is way too short to deny any family valuable time to spend together.

Enjoy your time with your children.

I agree. And my teaching family (retired=parents, active 1 brother and 1 sister) also agrees.

They get almost excited as we do. The education comes in many forms from the start of talking about vacation until the return home.

This answer really applies to later grades and not kindergarten

but you ASK before you make reservations. Pulling a kid out of school for a family vacation isn't a personal decision. The school gets a say. Some schools don't allow it. I'd hope you wouldn't want to pull a kid out of school during finals, a school prom, a school trip or at a time that would interfere with a students activities such as sports.

AMaloy314 said:
What are your thoughts on when to tell your child's teacher/school that you will be taking the child out for a WDW vacation?

I know there is a big difference of opinion about taking kids out of school to go to WDW. I feel that it is everyone's personal decision. Having said that, our decision is to take my DS who is starting kindergarten this year to WDW in Feb. Now the question becomes, WHEN do I tell his teacher? I feel a little strange announcing it right at the start of school, but on the other hand, surely she's going to know that we've been planning it for a while. After all, most people don't go to WDW on the spur of the moment. I don't want to her to think that I was hiding it from her.

Thanks everyone!

momof2dizkids said:

This is why homeschooling is taking off...schools getting too big for their britches, thinking they can tell you what to do!

I'd hire a lawyer, if I were you, and slap them down, like they deserve to be slapped down. I'd also be calling the newspapers. There's no way that should be a policy without it being written down.

It was also entrapment. They OK everything, then tell you you're a lawbreaker.

I'm reading all this and saying to myslef "WOW". I thought schools were intentioned to develop children into well rounded adults. How good a job can they be doing if they can't communicate adequately with the parents or if they punish a child for his/her vacation with tons of work? It's hypocritical and just isn't right to me.

We have very restrictive vacation policies where we are too. :sad2: k-6 gets 15 days throughout, 4 trips total, no more than 5 days per year. Yep, its ridiculous but I spoke with the Superintendent directly and there is no way around it. To him my kids are $ from the State. Our forms REQUIRE us to identify what educational benefits will be gotten from the trip. The completed form is sent to the Principal who OK's it, or not, and then it is sent to the Superintendent's personal office for an ok by him too.

As a result we've deceided to alternate years for when we go. Last year we went in June (too hot for me) and this year we went in Feb. Next year is Summer again so we're thinking about going to Disneyland instead because I THINK it might be cooler there. The whole situation is ridiculous because 1 week isn't going to help or hurt my kids' the slightest bit at this age( in college 1 week can ruin your grade but under that, uh-uh). I know its all about the $ the State gives for each kid and that just disturbs me all the more. :furious:

I usually tell the teacher about 3-4 weeks out..We've been lucky not to get any work sent home either....all the teachers really encouraged the kids to enjoy their vacation! We didn't go during the school year this year because I'm teaching in a grant program, and my middle son was in fourth grade...big MCAS year here in Mass.

To be honest, most of our vacas seemed rushed around the holidays or spring break (oldest is in college) so that the kids didn't miss more than 3 days of school...This year we left the day after the younger boys, and I, got out of school and we didn't feel like we needed a vacation after our 10 day wdw vacation! So as long as I'm working for the school we'll be going in the summer.

Anyway-I think a month is more than enough notice.

I inform the principal as soon as I have a scheduled date. Even if it is the next school year. They put the letter in the school file. Then 3-4 weeks out, I remind everyone of the trip. Never had a problem as of yet! Now we are skipping a year in between, so that might be why. With my husbands job, he won't be able to get summers off for quite a few more years, he needs more senority(sp?), so we really don't have a choice if we want to have family vacations.

Lewisc said:
This answer really applies to later grades and not kindergarten

but you ASK before you make reservations. Pulling a kid out of school for a family vacation isn't a personal decision. The school gets a say. Some schools don't allow it. I'd hope you wouldn't want to pull a kid out of school during finals, a school prom, a school trip or at a time that would interfere with a students activities such as sports.
Sorry but the school has no say with me. they will have a huge problem with it. I'll let you know tommorow. The teacher is giving me work for DD and she is only in !st grade. When my DH can get off from his job and it's convenient for us as a family is important. DH's job pays the bills and Disney trips. That siad I would never take my daughter out of school if she were behind in work or was having learning problems or something like that. Family time is just as important. She will also be missing her dance classes but that is really no big deal.

We have a "request for absence due to family travel" form that we have to fill out. Last year, I gave about 4 weeks notice. This year, DD will be in 2nd grade. School starts on 9/5 and we leave on the 23rd, so I plan to request the form from the teacher within the first week of school. Last year, the 1st grade teacher sent a TON of work, literally everything DD would be doing in class and for homework for the week she missed. We didn't mind doing it, as it only took a few hours the day before left. I don't know whether the 2nd grade teacher will send quite so much, but either which way, we'll be happy to get it done before we go so we can totally enjoy our trip.

I am meeting and telling DD's teacher today! I am actually scared. I wrote both she and the principal a letter explaining that my Dh works retail so I don't have much choice, and I will hopefully get a chance to talk to her breifly and give her the letter tonight. We leave in 19 days so I am taking the upfront policy. Of course I am not going into detail that it is a Disney Trip. I figure I will say Florida and indicate that we will go to Disney at some point, but I don't want to volunteer that it is devoted to Disney.

If anyone has a compelling reason why I should wait, let me know in the next four hours before I have to go and set up the Girl Scout table for Meet your Teacher tonight.

I do plan to ask the secretaries ahead what I might expect from this teacher. I have heard she is "the mean one".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter