WHEN to take kids out of school?

I usually try to choose a short week. Like when we go next month, they have that Monday off so they are just missing 4 days.
I try also try to pick a week that works for us. Like, we don't like to be too hot .. or to cold .. we find early Nov or early May good for WDW.
We did Disneyland last October and the weather was PERFECT in California that week. We really loved going to Disneyland for a change .. it was awesome and we can't wait to go back again ! :thumbsup2

We did last week in January this year (first grader) and it worked well. We wanted to avoid school parties, field trips, gifted testing, art shows/music assemblies, and ISP night. Just email the teacher(s)/principal and see if there are any dates to avoid. These things are mapped out way in advance.

I've been during just about every time of year.

January - After the 1st and not over MLK weekend. Crowds are low, but the weather can be iffy. Parks close earlier and a lot of refurbishment happens during this time.

February - 1st two weeks, pretty much the same as January. Once you get to the 2nd two weeks you're into school winter breaks and the crowd levels increase a lot. Still have the iffy weather issue. Our school break is the last week of February. We've been and worn short and t-shirts the entire week and we've been and never got out of jeans, sneakers, long sleeve t-shirts and fleece jackets.

March - Higher crowds due to spring breaks.

April - Higher crowds due to spring break. Weather tends to be really nice though. Last week of April isn't bad because most spring breaks are over by then (although if Easter is late in the year that can be a factor).

May - Probably one of my favorite times to go. Weather is great without being too hot and humid. I try to stick to the first part of the month as I've found the crowds are lower. Some schools get out by mid to the end of May so as you get toward the end of the month the crowds increase a bit.

June, July, August - Hot and humid. Crowd levels definitely increase over the summer. If you go then I would go toward the end of August, when most schools are back in session.

September - Low crowds, but still hot and humid.

October - Again, one of my favorite months. The time around the long weekend is more crowded. Weather is great!

November - There's a week in November when a school system is on break (Jersey Week), so its more crowded then. Also over Thanksgiving week. If you avoid those two weeks you should have lower crowds. Weather is still good.

December - First 2.5 weeks have lower crowds, but the weather can be iffy. Last time we went it was the first week of December. 1st half of the week the weather was great, and then a cold front came in. By around the 20th the Christmas crowds start to arrive and it will get much more crowded.

Have a great trip.

As they get older, it takes a lot more to get them caught up. I'd try to take them out when standardized testing is not going on. We try to do our trips from a Saturday to the following Sunday - that way, we get 9 days of vacation (including several for travel), but only have to take the kids out of school 5 days tops. Sometimes it's worked out so that a few of those weekdays were school holidays, but it doesn't always happen that way.

Other than that, I plan our trips for when (1) the weather is not too extreme, (2) Disney has a really great promotion going on, and (3) when DH can take time off from work.

We pulled our kids on Wednesday (we are here now) and they'll go back on Thursday. Early October was good for us because the beginning of the year is mostly review still but they've also had enough time to get acclimated to the new school routine.

I am not a fan of pulling the kids out however at that age, I am not as against it. My kids are in 5th, 3rd and pre-k and due to my Mom getting married the week of Thanksgiving, I have to pull the kids out for a few days and it makes me nervous since their classes are fast-moving.

Ask your teacher what dates can absolutely not be missed but being in Kindergarten, I can't imagine that there'd me many :)

We just got back last weekend from Disney for two weeks. The kids missed 11 days at school. I see no need to clear our vacation with the teachers but did warn them and ask if there was material that the kids could go over on the van ride down. They had 24 hours to and from Disney to study. We have grade 11, 5 and SK. If my eldest needed a tutor then we were willing to go that route. Fortunately she caught up in a few days. This will be her last trip during school as it is important for her to keep her grades up for university . Our local university gives free tuition for those with 90% or higher average. My other two it was like they never left. I know it is much different in some states as I have talked to quite a few Americans about taking their kids out of school. Since our kids have all attended the same elementary school they just usually assume we are going at some point. We actually went twice in the same school year once and had no problems. That time however it was just two kids and I did clear it with the teachers the second time before I even booked it. The teachers were very supportive luckily.

Rob

Enjoy this opportunity to get away, as your kindergardener is still at the age where getting away is easy! Once they get older, it is harder for them to get away and still get caught up. Plus you have to work around testing and projects/assignments. Not to mention any extracurricular activities that require attendance! My kids have always done football and cheer (like a pp's) and it is impossible to get away during the fall. You can probably go anytime you feel like it! Enjoy and have a great trip!

Standardized test schedules should be on your school's calendar already. Here in NY, they are mid-April but kindergarten wouldn't be taking them. I took my son out for 7 days in Feb. when he was in first grade and he didn't miss anything. This year I'm taking both kids out for 5 full days in February (3rd and 6th grade). Honestly, my husband works 3p-11p and my kids don't see him 5 days per week. A Disney vacation is important family time to us and as a once this school year (we are not annual Disney vacationers though we wish we could be!), I don't think anything in school (even a field trip or a standardized test):) could compare to our family time at WDW. 7 days as a family at WDW wins out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter