When to Go to HHI

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
First off, we go to HHI every year. We own two contracts there, so we can book 11 months out. We have been in June, July, October, and December. We are thinking of going Spring Break next year (March 31-April 3). But I'm worried for a few reasons:

1. Too cool temperatures. With that said, I'm not a fan of hot weather. 80 degrees is perfect for me. I don't like chilly evenings though.
2. I have terrible allergies, and I'm worried about the pollen during that time.
3. We will have to borrow 51 points for the trip. We have a June UY, and it worries me about losing the points if we have to cancel. I would not be able to use them before May 31 if we had to cancel.

The only other time we can go is summer. We would probably go on our anniversary in July. We have been during that time and had a great trip. Awesome 25th anniversary trip! It will cost us 8 more points during this time. I'm a little curious about going in the spring, since our plan when I retire in two years is to start going in the spring to HHI (renting a house and saving points for family summer trips there) and to WDW either in October, November, or December. This way our trips will be nicely spread out. But we would probably try to hit it more at the end of April/beginning of May, so I don't know if this Spring Break trip would even give me an idea of what it would be like as far as weather and allergies.

So when should we go--spring or summer?

I understand about your UY dilemma, our March UY makes our December trips very important to materialize.

We have been just for Mother’s Day weekend as we drove home from Florida one year and had perfect weather. Last year, I was there the week after 4th of July and yes, it was hot. Too hot for me to bike ride. The on site pool was not at all refreshing, disappointing to us. We will be there the very beginning of May this year, and I’m hoping it’s going to be good for pool use, bike riding, and of course eating in all the wonderful restaurants!

I suppose if I were you I would try the spring break. I’m sure the weather that early varies a lot, I hope you get good weather and no pollen.

We will be there mid March for DD's Spring Break. Has to be warmer than here (we live in Canada lol!)

We went to DHHI last week of March in 2017 and loved it. Crowds were WAY less than compared to July. Ocean was too cold to swim in but weather was plenty warm for kids to use the pools at resort and beach house. With that said- we have the same concerns. We are debating booking a 2 bedroom for next year end of March and worry that the weather won't be as nice (upper 70s). I have bad seasonal allergies too and they didn't seem to affect me at DHHI in late spring as much as they do back home (Ohio)

I understand about your UY dilemma, our March UY makes our December trips very important to materialize.

We have been just for Mother’s Day weekend as we drove home from Florida one year and had perfect weather. Last year, I was there the week after 4th of July and yes, it was hot. Too hot for me to bike ride. The on site pool was not at all refreshing, disappointing to us. We will be there the very beginning of May this year, and I’m hoping it’s going to be good for pool use, bike riding, and of course eating in all the wonderful restaurants!

I suppose if I were you I would try the spring break. I’m sure the weather that early varies a lot, I hope you get good weather and no pollen.
I agree with you about July. It is too hot to do much of anything in the heat of the day. We aren't big bikers, but we love to walk. I think May would be the perfect month to go weather-wise. We just can't do May yet because I'm still teaching. The downside--here in KY, late May is my worst time period for allergies, which makes me think early May would be bad in HHI. But I won't know unless I try it, and I plan to do that as soon as I retire.

We will be there mid March for DD's Spring Break. Has to be warmer than here (we live in Canada lol!)
I'm sure it will be!

We went to DHHI last week of March in 2017 and loved it. Crowds were WAY less than compared to July. Ocean was too cold to swim in but weather was plenty warm for kids to use the pools at resort and beach house. With that said- we have the same concerns. We are debating booking a 2 bedroom for next year end of March and worry that the weather won't be as nice (upper 70s). I have bad seasonal allergies too and they didn't seem to affect me at DHHI in late spring as much as they do back home (Ohio)
This is good information. I'm wondering if end of March might still be too early for the bad allergies. But I can see how you would be worried about the weather. Thanks for mentioning the crowds. That would be one advantage over July. As far as swimming in the ocean, I don't do it. I love walking on the beach though, so early April should be good for that. In fact, we loved doing that in December 2016!

We have gone during Spring Break (last week in March) on 8 separate trips and always had a great time. The island is just gearing up for tourist season but not as crowded as Summer. Most of the restaurants and seasonal stores are open. The beach is great but the water is a little cold to swim. Although you may have a chill day, most are great for bike riding and warm enough to swim in the heated pools. The bugs are not bad and I have not notice any problems with pollen. The resort has a full schedule of activities and there are usually special events for Easter if you happen to be there on that Sunday. Enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter