• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When to go...September or October 2012?

SFMommy

DIS Veteran
Just got back from our Thanksgiving trip and I am ready to start planning our next trip! We are thinking September or October 2012. We've never been to DL that time of year.

When (approximately) do the Halloween decorations go-up? Which rides might be down (and when) for putting up the Halloween decorations? Is it only the HM?

We are trying to decide if we go in September and avoid Halloween time or to go in October and see the Halloween decorations, which we've never seen before. But are the crowds bad any weekend during the Halloween season? Then we'd probably go in September instead.

And what is the deal with Halloween parties? When are they and how do they impact the parks?

It will be me, DH and DD6. We might also bring my parents for the first time, if they want to come.

Thanks for any tips!

Keep in mind Halloween Parties are held Tuesdays & Fridays End of September - End of October. This means the park will close at 6 on Tuesdays & 7 on Fridays. Both these days will be very busy the last 3 hours (or more) of the day when party goers & day guests both are in the park.

I found crowds in mid-October to be very heavy (in 2010 we just went for a Friday party and then all day that Saturday). A lot of schools are on fall break and it was as crowded as a super-crowded summer day. And the Halloween parties were so much more crowded than I'd expected--it felt like an ordinary night to me, certainly not an "exclusive" event. As fun as it was to dress up in the parks (and I LOVE costumes), I'm not sure I'd do it again for the money.

On the other hand, my mom, who had totally different expectations, loved it all! :confused3

For rehabs, Space Mountain will go down for the Ghost Galaxy overlay before Halloweentime; I think it happens mid? September? It may be for just a day or three (I forget how many it was this year) but it's always possible they'll try to improve it and take it down for longer. (I strongly prefer the original to Ghost Galaxy, so much that I'm not sure I want to go back for Halloween, but I know others feel the opposite!)

There's also the Haunted Mansion rehab which takes a lot longer than Space Mountain's. If you go in late September you should miss both of those rehabs (and will see both rides in their Halloween overlays). But crowds may pick up if you happen to go to the parks the first couple days of Halloweentime.

It's a Small World will go down late October for their Christmas overlay.

I'd go in october. The halloween stuff will be up and, even more importantly, it should be cooler. Sept can be really hot. It can be hot in october too but less so.

We made our first trip to Disneyland this fall. I did a ton of research as I was looking for the "ideal" time to go in the fall. We flew in on September 30 and home October 8. The halloween season starts right around the middle of September. Crowds are low throughout September gradually getting heavier through October. The Halloween parties begin on the last Friday in September. The first party is generally a sell-out. We went on the following Friday. I did not find the crowds bad at all (there are a certain number of tickets sold). This party was not sold-out and if you are not interested in standing in line for Character pics, it is well worth the ticket. It's hard to explain, but it was just a really nice evening. Ride lines were short and the trick-or-treat lines were neat. The parade and the fireworks were awesome.

We had 1 1/2 days of rain (awesome in my opinion!) It felt like we were the only ones in the park. On the full day of rain we did over 25 rides that day. The crowds were always manageable but as we got closer to the weekend we left (COlumbus Day) it got busier. The weekend we got there was also busy as it was gay days but we had planned to visit other parks that weekend anyway. Keep in mind that for 2012, Columbus Day and Gay Days weekend fall on the same weekend so that weekend would prove to be quite a bit busier. Fall was an awesome time to go. Weather was great, crowds were great and the atmosphere as always was "Disney"! Just go earlier. If the Halloween party isn't a big pull, go around the middle of September as everything will be up and running from the halloween overlay. If you want to hit a Halloween party try to hit one of the first ones. Usually held Tuesday and Fridays. We had the ultimate family holiday and it was a very special place for us. We are now a Disney family. Its where our hearts belong. <3

In 2009 we went the week of 9/12 and were in the parks on a Sunday - Wed I believe. Crowds were the lightest I have experienced. HM was closed for the overlay. Space Mountain gets an overlay also and might be closed during that time. Most rides were walk ons for us with short 10 minute waits at the bigger rides.
Normally we go the week that includes 10/26 since thats my bday. We were in the park Sunday - Thursday this year. The week days during that time are pretty light with fairly short waits. Sunday (10/23?)was very busy this year but I think most of that was do to a gaming confrence at the convention center. But it was still very enjoyable. As long as you use fast pass for the big rides it was fine. Small world went down for its Christmas overlay while we were there so keep that one in mind if its important to you.

Next year we're going to go the week of 9/22. I suspect Hallween decorations will be up by then.

I LOVED our mid-September trip this year. We arrived in the park Thursday afternoon, the day before Halloween decor was unveiled on Friday. The Halloween parties hadn't started yet, so we were able to stay in DL past 6 pm without paying extra or dealing with huge crowds.

The biggest drawback is the fact that Sept. is a time of refurbishments: we missed POTC and Screamin', two rides I had been looking forward to but alas, that's the price of getting only a moderately crowded park. We were there for the first day of SMGG and HMH and crowds weren't too bad at all.

Good luck planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter