When to finish - now or later??

newtodis

Disney Lover!
When should I finish my Christmas shopping? Originally my goal was to have everything done by the end of July when we're traveling to MI (instead of having to ship everything closer to the holidays). I've probably got about a third of it done but don't know if I should keep plugging along or hold out until closer to the holidays for better deals??? :confused3 I could always save on shipping and "hold off" on sending gifts up until January when family comes down to visit (I would send the gifts back with them) - which is probably what they'll do with our gifts (not a big deal on either end!).

So, do you think I'll get good deals now - just finish or should I wait and either ship it up, hold it until January or have stuff shipped to DMIL's house if I order on line?? I'm still going to be shopping because we'll have family and friends here to finish up for and I'll still do Black Friday because I love it....this is just the majority of our shopping - almost 3/4 honestly.

TIA for any suggestions!!!:goodvibes

Most of my shopping is done- as I buy all year round and have a Christmas Closet in my home!

Wow- Threads like this amaze me- How do you have any idea what anyone wants for Christmas in June?

Wow- Threads like this amaze me- How do you have any idea what anyone wants for Christmas in June?

Same here. My kids often change their minds on what they want from November to Dec. I could never shop now. What they are into today, may be forgotten tomorrow.

I usually buy year round also..IF I find a good deal. I usually buy thinkgs like sweatshirts that I buy bigger anyway so size errors aren't a problem. Also, stuff like makeup, lip gloss, stocking stuffers or jewelry if I find it on sale. I uaually wait until closer to Christmas to get the "must have" toy, IF i buy it. My kids don't get alot of big stuff, just one item...things like Playstation games I can find throughout the year cheaper. I buy Dh's stuff year round like t shirts and shorts (only wears pants at work and when it's freezing). I'm determined to do Black Friday this year after skipping it for the last 3 years becasue it's become a family event. My Mom, sister and all my Aunts. There's at least 5 people, so we bring cash, split the "order" and go for it. So I've bought nothing this year and I usually have at least a few things by now. But due to the economy, me starting school and other $$ issues, I've thought it wiser to wait.

I say if you can get a good deal now and have the cash, go for it. But for your bigger stuff like big toys or electronics, wait. Chances are you can get it cheaper later in the year.

I have always had a Christmas closet too but this year decided to cut back on what I buy through the year. What I found happened with my DD is that I would buy things throughout the year and then there would be particular things I wanted to get her as the holidays approached so I spent way more than I had intended to. DH and I don't exchange gifts, and the rest of our family have cut down considerably on what we spend. I will buy something for my sister in law or brother in law if I see something really good at a good price because we spend a token amount and if I can get something good for that, I'm thrilled!

Last year it seemed like there were really good sales before the holidays and I kept thinking that I wished I had not already gotten something for so-and-so...

However, with your trying to save money on shipping, I think I would try to finish it up so you can take it all with you this summer.

Because most of DH's family is older. The only "kids" are my two boys (4 and 2). Everyone else is pretty much out of high school and has a list of "needs" that is shared among the family (like we have a "house wish list" of things we need for around our house that DH's mom either takes while she's here visiting or will ask DH what's on it when she calls). We try to keep things to what's needed so it doesn't turn into who gets the most gifts (which can turn into a lot of money wasted on junk no one will use). Then, as I see things on sale, I pick them up. The only other younger kid is DH's nephew who's going to be 8 in August. He knows that from us he'll get clothes and a small toy - again things that are needed -not just fun stuff. He's getting clothes (bought this weekend at the outlets with a coupon and Target with a coupon after calling DH's mom to check sizes and such) and a Wii game. Now I still have to get him a small toy as the clothes will be split between Christmas and his birthday and the Wii game will go with one set and another toy/game book with the other set as no kid only wants to get clothes for Christmas.

Now, for my kids, I will wait and not spend everything I budget for on them just yet. I'll pick up some at Target's toy clearance (like games and such I know they'll be interested in) but my kids know just because you "want" something, doesn't mean you'll get that item. I also wouldn't give them anything they'd hate...

I know it doesn't sound "fun" to only get the "needs", but I'm happy with it. Honestly, I ask everyone for Target and Kroger gift cards because I truly love shopping with my coupons and that's where I get the best deals. Nothing you could buy me would make me as happy as saving the money myself and getting what we need for our family at that time. If I can't get what a family member needs/asks for either because of size, cost, whatever, I will get them a gift certificate to use towards that item or put money in with another family member.

Sorry it's a lot of rambling.... :goodvibes

I start buying for the next holiday at the after Christmas sales. Like a pp, my dd is the only child in the family, and everyone else is pretty much a safe bet. DH always just wants clothes and almost any Wii games (plus I know his taste). My mom's the easiest-she LOVES getting holiday decorations, so I just load up at the 75% off sales. ;)
Is it possible you can just bring up what you have and then do the rest later? That way they could still have something to open, and then bring the rest in January?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter