• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When to buy flights

Ahhhhshley

Disney Fanatic
Im so excited! We have our reservations at Grand Californian and we have our 5 day park hoppers all purchased for my sons surprise 5th birthday trip in May but I just can't decide when I should buy our plane tickets. I don't know if I'm just so excited I'm being unreasonable by wanting to purchase them now or not. I'm worried they will increase but at the same time May is so far away. When do you usually buy your plane tickets?

Last edited:
The cheapest flights are when they first come out. Like 6 months before your trip date. They definitely increase as time goes by. I say buy as soon as possible. And buy on a Tuesday as Tuesdays have the lowest rates for some reason.

Buy them as early as possible. Like the other person mentioned we find that the costs continue to increase the closer you get to your travel dates.

Thanks for all the help! The biggest problem is we don't fly much like at all so I don't even know the ballpark of a good price. Right now from Oregon pdx to lax for 2 kids and 2 adults we are looking at $888.00.

Last edited:
I've been watching PDX to LAX for April on SouthWest, it's been $110 each way for the cheapest flight for a little while (Currently, 175 days out from when I need tickets). We're also flying down in November, I bought those tickets 116 days prior to the trip at $79 each way per person. I've also read many times, it's best to buy airline tickets on Tuesdays because that's when new deals are announced and the airlines shuffle their prices to compete.

Thanks for all the help! The biggest problem is we don't fly much like at all so I don't even know the ballpark of a good price. Right now from Oregon pdx to lax for 2 kids and 2 adults we are looking at $888.00.
If you are using PDX check out JetBlue. They fly into LGB and are the least expensive from what I've found. For a Dec trip I have 3 oneways for a little over $200 total for all 3.

We just got tix for our Feb. trip and they were super cheap using Jetblue. We are flying from PDX to LGB.

We fly PDX to SNA or LGB... Keep an eye on jet blue love flying them. I got a good deal with Alaska this time. But I also book as soon as their booking window opens. For Alaska that is 330 days out! Jet blue just opened up for next summer. I typically pay no more than $200 pp/rt... This trip I am using some leftover miles and got $100 pp/rt :)

Last edited:
Another PDX traveler that loves JetBlue. I just bought my tickets last month for $69. Sign up for their True Blue emails, and jump on each one to check prices. Great JetBlue price (or any price!) is under $100. Great Southwest price is $125.

So, $888 for 8 flights (4 people, round trip) would break down to $111 per flight, which is a pretty reasonable fare!

I usually buy on Tuesdays or Thursdays, whenever I find a good price. I don't see that it's typically when the flights are opened, but a few months before--3-6 months or so.

I agree with the others about Jet Blue as well. We either fly Jet Blue or Southwest & fly to either SNA or LGB. They are both small airports that you can get in & out of fast with little or no hassle. If you can, stay away from LAX. That place is a total nightmare with traffic etc. Also Jet Blue & Southwest have no baggage fees which is also great.

We absolutely love flying JetBlue into long beach! That is our go-to flight. Only downside is sometimes not too many flight choices. I have also found good fares on Southwest into orange county. Snagged a 1-way for my son for about $100 from SEA. Then he'll fly back with us on JetBlue out of long beach. SW seems to have a lot more flights if the JetBlue times don't work for you.

When you fly into LGB do you rent a car or is there a shuttle service to Anaheim?
There are tons of taxis that do a flat rate to the DLR area--somewhere in the $35-50 range. Your hotel can give you a voucher for a flat rate on the way back too. They also have a rental car place right there at the airport, so we have rented a car there as well, just depending on if we want a car that trip or not. The nice thing about LGB is that it is so small, everything is literally RIGHT THERE. It's awesome. The main part of the airport is very nice and new, but only maybe 8-10 gates? Basically one building. Have I mentioned it is awesome? ;) It is only a few minutes farther away than Orange County airport, too.

There are tons of taxis that do a flat rate to the DLR area--somewhere in the $35-50 range. Your hotel can give you a voucher for a flat rate on the way back too. They also have a rental car place right there at the airport, so we have rented a car there as well, just depending on if we want a car that trip or not. The nice thing about LGB is that it is so small, everything is literally RIGHT THERE. It's awesome. The main part of the airport is very nice and new, but only maybe 8-10 gates? Basically one building. Have I mentioned it is awesome? ;) It is only a few minutes farther away than Orange County airport, too.

Awesome, im gonna check it out. We have flown into orange county and loved it because it was smaller and easy. The rights right now on Jet blue are as low as 69 each way which is way cheaper then i normally pay with southwest. My dates arnt until october 2016 so hopefully they have cheap rates then too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter