When to buy airfare

KristinandChris

Mouseketeer
How far in advance do you book airline tickets? We're looking at coming the end of September and right now flights are around $189 roundtrip per person (DC to Orlando). I never know if it's better to buy early or wait...

IMHO it's a roll of the dice. Sometimes waiting helps but then with the escalating oil prices it might not work. $189 from DC to Orlando is really good right now. I can suggest looking each morning and then the afternoon for rates. They do change daily and Mondays and Tuesdays seem to be the best days to buy. I don't know if you've made definite plans, but Tuesday and Wednesday are the cheapest days to fly.

It is totally a game of luck. $189 is a wonderful price. The cheapest days to fly as stated are Tue and Wed. If it were me I would book at $189. You can always wait it out see what happens. This is a good website to www.airfarewatchdog.com Best of luck

I buy when I see a sub-$200pp r/t fare. I start watching as soon as we're 100% sure of our dates and pull the trigger as soon as something looks good. We seem to get the best prices 3-4 months in advance, but I don't worry over getting the absolute best that will ever come along so long as I hit that "target" price.

I have also heard that 6 weeks in advance and about 6 months in advance are when fares seem to be at their lowest. I have checked this out and found there to be some accuracy to it. But like a PP mentioned, it could also be very hit or miss. Right now, I would be pleased with your fare, it's pretty good! But keep an eye out after you book, possiby earning some credit for a future use if you can make a price adjustment. :wizard: Have fun!!

I'm with some of the others in that if I can get round trip for anywhere around $200, I'll book it.

Since SW is the only airline in Kansas City that offers non-stop flights daily, I have to book as soon as Southwest releases its dates. We also usually fly during busy times (spring break, Memorial week, summer), which makes a difference. I don't have the luxury of waiting, since experience has taught me that when flying during high seasons, it is best to book as soon as you find airfare that is palatable, IMHO.

I also like that SW never changes its schedule. I've know so many folks who book nonstop on legacy carriers that later change the flights to indirect or less convenient times.

We also fly Southwest from Kansas City and I usually book and then check to see if the prices go down. Since we do fly at least once a year to Florida or somewhere I can always use the credits toward a future flight. This year we did that and the prices did go down, which was good for BIL since he waited, and we have $190 in credits now to use for our next trip.

Yeah it is my 1k post :dance3:

If you fly on Jet Blue and the price of the flight drops below what you paid for it call them and the will give you a travel voucher good for 1 year for the difference. You can do this when ever the price drops. This way with Jet Blue you will get the lowest fare when it rolls around. We use yapta to track the price for us and they send me an Email when ever the price drops.

We use Yapta as well! :thumbsup2 I knew my dates last year and printed out the air-tran rates...they were the same as 2009...this year they are all double!!:sad2: I've held out and watched it slowly increase.:surfweb:.. so I bit the bullet and booked 'em today! I must say, the peace of mind is worth it!!!

I start looking about 10 months out. We're also going in Sept. Back in Feb I was able snag round trip tickets from Delta for $128 ($180 with fees and tax). It made me do the happy dance. Last year I paid about $230. I also have a target dollar amount in mind when I begin looking and just try to get as far under it as I possibly can. I usually go directly to the airline's web sites. That seems to be where I get the best deal. Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies! I don't think the price will drop much but I'm happy to see that JetBlue does offer vouchers if their prices do drop. Plus it's great that they don't charge for checked bags - I'm assuming since DD (2) has her own seat that means we could check a bag for her too? I'm hoping we can get all of our stuff in two suitcases but it would be nice to know we have the option of three...

I know Southwest will give a credit as well if the price drops and they don't charge for the 1st checked bag. It is 1 checked bag/seat, I do believe.

We booked our flights for this May trip at the beginning of December. The price never dropped and got a great deal.

We paid $167 Round trip and currently the exact same flights are at $700, not kidding, they never went lower and just kept getting higher and higher.

So I say when you find a cheap flight like the one you found. BOOK IT!!

It depends on the airline, we have found the best deals for us in the 1 week to 6 week out range.

For years, it is hard to predict when prices will be the best. We just purchase each leg when it is a price that we can live with.

Having worked in the industry, I know that it makes no difference. What is true is if you can fly on a Tuesday or Wednesday, fares may be cheaper. But when you book makes no difference in terms of price, as price can go high or low at any time. If there is availability on your flight shortly before you leave, prices may drop. If its close to a sold out flight, prices will rise. Gas/oil prices affect it as well.

From my recent experience, I booked JetBlue for our September trip the day it came out and those have been the lowest fares JetBlue has offered for our travel dates currently. They have only gone up since they've been released. I also have a flight to Seattle booked in June and those prices have consistently gone up since I booked in March. I'd definitely recommend booking at the first price you find that is affordable to you.

JetBlue will refund you any difference if their prices drop. AirTran will refund you any difference greater than $75 if their prices drop. Not sure about others.

Thanks again! I booked our tickets today and I will definitely contact JetBlue if the prices go down. I noticed that flights leaving at different times the same days had gone up so I think it's good I booked when I did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter