When to book?

nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
Looking to book 3 nights at RPR for late March 2017. Currently, the rate is $387 per night which is about $100 more per night than we paid last October. Can we reasonably expect this rate to come down at any point and if so, when? We have AAA as well. I'm hesitant to book now and make that large of a deposit, if the rate could potentially come down in the coming months. Thanks!

I always book far out to secure the hotel, room type and specific dates

Sometimes I book at rack until smsm rate comes out

The deposit I pay up front is more than needed once I modify my reservation rate with a code

Not an issue for me as that deposit is applied to my total cost once I modify the room rate
Just less that I will owe once I check in

Not sure how high rates will be 10 months from now but if you will be there during spring break, booking early is a good thing

If securing specific dates is most important, book far out

Thanks @macraven - we'll be there 3 weeks before Easter/Spring Break, but it will fall during Universal's Mardi Gras events (actual Mardi Gras is a few weeks prior to our stay).

How far in advance do the SMSM rates typically get released?

It can vary when smsm is released for the next year

I always do a two week stay each October to include the Columbus Day weekend

Some years I book 11 months 2-3 weeks out if the smsm rate has been released for the following year

If I book earlier than that, i'm paying rack rate but modify to the smsm when it is released

For my dates I have found it was either sept or October when smsm came out

But I only start to look after Labor Day

If you need specific dates, book in the fall this year (sept/October ) as smsm should be released then if not earlier

Smsm has a great discount once you have a 5 night or 7 night stay

Rooms will or usually are cheaper far out and seem to increase the closer to your dates

My smsm rate was $181 for when I booked my October stay for this year.
The same king suite is now listed at $279+ now without a discount

We are looking at late March 2017 as well, I am thinking club level. So, I plan on booking soon to secure room type and dates. But at $531 a night... Ouch!

We are looking at late March 2017 as well, I am thinking club level. So, I plan on booking soon to secure room type and dates. But at $531 a night... Ouch!
If you can wait until sept-October and staying 4 nights onsite, smsm rates could be out for 2017
Rates will be lower then

came back to add that the smsa rates are out up to january 2017

You can book at any time and call to modify your room rate later

If you have no wiggle room and need certain dates, book now

The money that was paid for your deposit will be applied to your total bill when you check out of the hotel

Do you usually book online through the Universal Website or call the Hotel direct? Just wondering what's best if you need to call back with a code.

I call the UO booking phone number to modify my rate changes

For a code, I would call the booking site

It's faster for when I do it

I booked our December trip online in early February. Got the SMSM rate. Since then I have re-checked frequently and my room category (Standard King) has not been available. I say book as soon as you are sure you are going.

I'm also looking for a 3 (possibly 4 night) stay in late March at PBH or RPR. I hope a good rate comes out!

So I have been watching and watching the rates for a couple of months and they just kept going up and up. I ended up booking last week and I am hoping the rates go down for next April.

I am not sure of my exact dates yet, so I ended up booking a whole week. I will probably only stay 3-4 nights and will cancel the other days as soon as I know. Will I be able to do that? I put down a one night deposit already. Thanks.

So I have been watching and watching the rates for a couple of months and they just kept going up and up. I ended up booking last week and I am hoping the rates go down for next April.

I am not sure of my exact dates yet, so I ended up booking a whole week. I will probably only stay 3-4 nights and will cancel the other days as soon as I know. Will I be able to do that? I put down a one night deposit already. Thanks.

Sometimes there is an issue with this. When you make changes to length of stay at Universal, they will cancel your booking a rebook for you. If your original rate is no longer available with the new booking, they will give you a hard time and will want you to book with the existing rates.

If this happens, talk to a manager of some sort to get them to change your reservation manually so that you get your original rate. Not all managers at the reservation centre will do it, so you need to be persistent.

Also, the SMSM rates change depending on how long you stay. The discount rate for 7 days is going to be higher than for 3 days. I would try and book for exactly what you want because your rate is going to change if your length of stay changes drastically. The change in rate due to booking less days will not be adjusted by a manager, that is just the way the SMSM rate works.

Sometimes there is an issue with this. When you make changes to length of stay at Universal, they will cancel your booking a rebook for you. If your original rate is no longer available with the new booking, they will give you a hard time and will want you to book with the existing rates.

If this happens, talk to a manager of some sort to get them to change your reservation manually so that you get your original rate. Not all managers at the reservation centre will do it, so you need to be persistent.

Also, the SMSM rates change depending on how long you stay. The discount rate for 7 days is going to be higher than for 3 days. I would try and book for exactly what you want because your rate is going to change if your length of stay changes drastically. The change in rate due to booking less days will not be adjusted by a manager, that is just the way the SMSM rate works.

Thank you. That explains a lot. I'm wondering if I would get the smsm that is in effect today if I end up rebooking for less days. At least then I wouldn't be any worse off than I would be today?

Thank you. That explains a lot. I'm wondering if I would get the smsm that is in effect today if I end up rebooking for less days. At least then I wouldn't be any worse off than I would be today?

It would be the smsm that is in the computer at the time of the change. It might almost be worth your while to make two bookings now and then just cancel the one you don't want later.

If you can wait until sept-October and staying 4 nights onsite, smsm rates could be out for 2017
Rates will be lower then

came back to add that the smsa rates are out up to january 2017

Macraven, I am looking to book for 3 nights during the first week of April 2017. Since this is during spring break time, should I book now? I know my exact dates, so no problem there, but I'm really hoping rates go down a bit as I have to get 2 rooms (ugh). If I understand correctly, if I do book now and rates go down, I can call the resort and have the discount applied to my reservation? I don't have to rebook, it is just applied? Also, can I reserve 2 rooms in my name? I have read that at Disney this isn't possible, so I am unsure about Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter