When to book RCI?

Woermazing

Earning My Ears
DF and I are getting married in May 2012, and we're planning on using our DVC points to do an RCI exchange for a weeklong honeymoon in St. Lucia. I assumed that trying to book early was the way to go (since they let you book up to 24 months in advance), but I just got off the phone with MS and there are hardly an openings for 2011 yet, and none for 2012 so far in advance. MS said they normally open up in December of the year before, but I'd like to have plans made sooner than that if possible. From your experience, is this accurate? When should availability open up for a May 2012 exchange?

I can't tell for sure, but I think I got on an RCI waitlist in early November last year (2009) and got confirmation for the last week of October 2010 in the middle of January 2010. (The confirmation and reservation info I know, I just can't tell exactly when I made the request.)

I, too, was unhappy to feel so uncertain about when I'd get a week or even if I'd get one. I don't think I'd do it again, to be honest. I don't know what timeframe you're giving, but I know I told them I could do any week within a 3 *month* period. If you're looking for a more specific time than that, you might want to try a different route.

One consideration might be how many properties are available in St. Lucia. I had only one option in London, which I'm sure cut the probability down significantly that I'd get anything. (The week I got is the week the kids are out of school, which may explain why it became available.)

I think I'd try MS some more -- maybe you can find someone there who's been doing the RCI swap thing for a while and can give you some idea of how likely you will be to get anything, as well as how long the "line" for DVC-->St Lucia generally gets. If the odds are decent that you'll get what you want if you're the first in line, you might try it now. Alternatively, even six months of you waiting to put your points in might give you enough "wiggle" room to get a one-year anniversary trip out of RCI, if the honeymoon trip doesn't come through fast enough. Good luck.

DF and I are getting married in May 2012, and we're planning on using our DVC points to do an RCI exchange for a weeklong honeymoon in St. Lucia. I assumed that trying to book early was the way to go (since they let you book up to 24 months in advance), but I just got off the phone with MS and there are hardly an openings for 2011 yet, and none for 2012 so far in advance. MS said they normally open up in December of the year before, but I'd like to have plans made sooner than that if possible. From your experience, is this accurate? When should availability open up for a May 2012 exchange?
Get on a WL and make a cancelable cash reservation that you're comfortable with. You might also look for a direct exchange with a Marriott owner for St. Kitts as well.

Thanks for the help. I'll try MS again and see if I can get more info. But I'll also look into some other options.

You might also look for a direct exchange with a Marriott owner for St. Kitts as well.

What is the best way to look for a direct exchange with a Marriott owner? Is there another board that they frequent?

What is the best way to look for a direct exchange with a Marriott owner? Is there another board that they frequent?
TUG is likely the best. Redweeks and others are also possible. While I didn't mention them, the independent exchange companies are also worth a consideration for this situation though I suspect they work better for the west, MX, HI and Canada and for easier places like Orlando and Branson. DAE does fairly well for Europe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter