When Technology meets Obsessive Planning: Am I alone?

mouseaddicts said:
...I'd also love to know about the planner one member referenced for his PDA. I just got a Pocket PC & have a lot of info saved in my caldendar, etc., but would love more!

Thanks to all ........

It's her PDA :smooth: I'm a girl geek, lol

Check out this info on Deb Wills site. http://allearsnet.com/din/palmshop.htm
It's $8.00 to get the park guides and restaurant menus.

I also have DataViz software on my PDA that allows me to import/export word and excel files.

Definately not the only one - DBF has given up trying to help me plan (since the next trip will be his first one) and has settled on making a spreadsheet for our budget. I'm seriously challenged when it comes to handling cash o_0

I haven't planned out the whole half-hour thing (don't want to be too millitant, ya know), but I have decided which parks we're going to on which days (EMH) and where we'll probably eat so that we can total up our $ spent there.

Disney on a budget is the only way we lowly college students can make it, and the spreadsheet helps a lot.

txtxyeha said:
Outlook is my choice of mediums to fuel the planning obsession. Task list has 60+ things to do. Calendar has 40+ entries. All a click away on my Blackberry.

For Outlook, what kind of things do you put on your task list and in your calendar?

For the calendar, do you schedule things as appointments?

I just put office 2003 on my computer so it's still kinda new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use the day planner on DisneyWorld site as that is where we booked our reservation. I can add the confirmation #'s look at maps all at the same time.

I have the same obsession. I don't have a spreadsheet, but I've created my own itineraries in Word and Publisher complete with photos of all the rides that we are going to go on, resorts we are staying at, and restaurants we'll be eating in. I own two Disney Planning Books (Birnbaum & Rita Aero). Everytime I go to the library I try to find a new Disney Planning book, but now there aren't any left that I haven't read. Yesterday, I took out a book about Walt Disney and how he designed & developed the Magic Kingdom. I have visitied every website and keep them all on my favorites list, visiting them regularly looking for new tips and information. My husband keeps asking me what I am going to do after we get back. He is concerned about my "withdrawal." :confused3

When we came back from our trip two years ago, I made a scrapbook and that helped. But within a few months I was starting to plan the next trip already (utilizing the lessons learned in the previous trip). Is this obsession going to continue? Do you ever get enough of the Magic?

I've never been a fan of Excel. I'm a technical writer by trade, so I stick to the word processing programs. Last year, I made up a Word doc that had a series of tables in it. The first table was a day by day itinerary with special events (tours, fireworks, etc.), reservation numbers, and ADRs. The next table was modeled on the first, but it was my clothing planning table. Then I had my actual packing lists and shopping list set up in even more tables. I also had a meal-by-meal food budget breakdown. By the time I was done, it was a ten page document. Yep. It was crazy. On the other hand, I forgot nothing on that vacation and since I was constantly modifying the document, I stayed in my happy, vacation planning mood until departure.

It still doesn't beat the cool little booklet I made back in 1999 that contained a distillation of all of my important information, but was only the size of a credit card. I wish I still had that file.

Hi, my name is jenelope and I'm an obsessive WDW planner.

Well, I have now created our 7-day "itenerary" - broken down into 1/2 hour increments, color coded with park opening/closing times, EMHs, ADRs and special events (parades, fireworks, etc.) - in Excel along with a dining worksheet with budgets for each meal, each day and an overall trip budget!

Yeah, my oldest DD just stares at it with wide eyes!

DH & I just keep going over & over & over our dining schedule. We're not 100% satisfied with our choices (CS & TS) just yet, but we'll get there before the BIG DAY!

The planning truly is 1/2 the fun for us! And, when we return, I will make (yet another) scrapbook of our trip. It's cyclical ....... we plan, we go, we document ...... we plan, we go, we document ........ :thumbsup2

mouseaddicts said:
Well, I have now created our 7-day "itenerary" - broken down into 1/2 hour increments, color coded with park opening/closing times, EMHs, ADRs and special events (parades, fireworks, etc.) - in Excel along with a dining worksheet with budgets for each meal, each day and an overall trip budget!

Yeah, my oldest DD just stares at it with wide eyes!

DH & I just keep going over & over & over our dining schedule. We're not 100% satisfied with our choices (CS & TS) just yet, but we'll get there before the BIG DAY!

The planning truly is 1/2 the fun for us! And, when we return, I will make (yet another) scrapbook of our trip. It's cyclical ....... we plan, we go, we document ...... we plan, we go, we document ........ :thumbsup2

Um... do you really think you'll be able to keep to a schedule that tight? I mean, stuff happens - suppose the lines are longer than you expect? Suppose the FastPass machines break down and you have to do standby lines all day? Rides break down, crowds shift, conventions come into the parks... trying to keep to a schedule that tight is a recipe for frustration, not vacation.

I usually don't plan my days at all, but on my MouseFest trips I do; I lay out my day in blocks of about 2 hours, which gives me plenty of wiggle room in case I suddenly decide that I want to do something other than what's on the schedule.

LOL Will ......... it's not THAT bad! We don't have each ride individually scheduled. We schedule the "Lands" in the park & allow "wiggle room" for ride lines, etc. There are a number of contingencies allowed within the schedule. BUT .... we DO have a "game plan" for each day with ADRs, fireworks, parades, park hours, etc. We did this last year too & it worked out really well. We weren't wandering around the parks going "okay, what do we do next?"

When you're a "Party of Five", it's better to have a plan! We went without one in 2002 & didn't really get to do much.

Oh yeah, did I mention that we schedule rest time right in the middle of the day to get us out of the parks during the hottest/most crowded times? Using our schedule last year - we actually took in 22 attractions in MK on July 4th (the day they CLOSED the park to the public b/c of attendance)! Yep, twenty-two - I'm not lying! It was awesome!!! The ride line fairy was definitely on our side!!! :rotfl:

Wow!! I am impressed. We thought that we were pretty good on getting thru those lines, but you... wow!! :worship: How did you do it???

Oh, and I thought that I had the whole planning thing down with the binders, highlighter, and all. Wow has my head been stuck in the sand... I haven't a clue how to use a spreadsheet but if I knew I would be using that too!! (Um... may I please have a copy of someone's spreadsheet?? :rolleyes: sburton1@rochester.rr.com) :thanks:

Planning :surfweb: really really really is half of the fun. I think that I would feel a little jipped if I missed out on the planning stages and my DH sprung a surprise trip on me.. (seriously no complaining at all... but you understand... he wouldn't do that anyhow... he knows how much i love my planning :love: )

My name is Jessica and I am a WDW planaholic... :wave2:
mouseaddicts said:
LOL Will ......... it's not THAT bad! We don't have each ride individually scheduled. We schedule the "Lands" in the park & allow "wiggle room" for ride lines, etc. There are a number of contingencies allowed within the schedule. BUT .... we DO have a "game plan" for each day with ADRs, fireworks, parades, park hours, etc. We did this last year too & it worked out really well. We weren't wandering around the parks going "okay, what do we do next?"

When you're a "Party of Five", it's better to have a plan! We went without one in 2002 & didn't really get to do much.

Oh yeah, did I mention that we schedule rest time right in the middle of the day to get us out of the parks during the hottest/most crowded times? Using our schedule last year - we actually took in 22 attractions in MK on July 4th (the day they CLOSED the park to the public b/c of attendance)! Yep, twenty-two - I'm not lying! It was awesome!!! The ride line fairy was definitely on our side!!! :rotfl:

Wow ... I am proud to meet all you over-planners. My DH thought I was just nuts. I stopped sharing all my over-planning tips ... but he benefited from them. Used all the technology available! I managed to get our daily schedule (ADRs, not-to miss rides, count of meals-DDP) small enough to fit in my plastic holder that I wore on a lanyard. (I printed the stuff on card stock). I looked at every menu ever printed .... read all the strategy and hints at the DIS boards ... but kept in mind sometimes plans may change. Just throwing that in. You ALWAYS benefit from planning but allow a little wiggle room.

Plus, for me, planning is almost as much fun as the trip itself. I am definately a happy anticipator (did I just make up that word?). Love this thread and planners, UNITE! :love:

Well .. to answer your question about the 22 attractions on July 4th ..... we started in Tomorrowland & hit Buzz Lightyear twice with no wait whatsoever. We also hit Indy Speedway & the Teacups early - before the lines hit since they don't have FP. We even took a break mid-day to avoid the heat/crowds. I have a whole list of what we did that day & in what order @ home ........ like I said, the ride fairy was with us!!!

I'm sending out my spreadsheet to the 3 who requested it today. I updated it earlier, so you've got my most up-to-date info now! :rotfl:

We do have some flexibility, but we keep a general idea of what we're doing & when on a "schedule" so we don't just wander around aimlessly .........

We tidied up our dining schdule yesterday, so I'm really happy about that! DH even bought me a new 3 ring binder with zip closer, extra pockets, zippers and stuff yesterday to keep everything in! :teeth: He's like "I think planning the trip is your hobby!" :rotfl: Yup, he has me pegged! :thumbsup2

I just sent a batch of spreadsheets out! If I missed you, let me know! We were busy in NYC over the past week having a fabulous time. Got to see Disney's Tarzan on Broadway. Amazing stunts and flying sequences. It opens in May and we were lucky to get tickets to a preview showing with our Disney Visa.

Now I can concentrate on our May trip to WDW! Yay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter