When should we go back?

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
I'm not sure if this is the best board for this question, but here goes.

For the past 5 years (since DD started school), we have taken our trip during Jersey Week in November when the schools here have a couple of days off for teacher conferences. At first, that week was not at all busy so it was perfect - nice weather, low crowds. A great time to visit.

Well, each year has gotten a little busier than the previous year. This year the parks were pretty packed during Jersey Week. Too crowded for our liking. DW isn't sure she wants to go that week again if that's the kind of crowds we can expect.

So does anyone have any brilliant advice. When would you go to Disney if you want reasonable crowds, decent weather and don't want to take your kid out of school for more than a couple of days (and preferably none)? How is the last week of August? Still crowded or easing off?

I'm not 100% sure since I've never been the last week of August, but I'm guessing that would be an ok week to go. It's hurricane season so I'm sure that affects the crowd levels, and WDW was offering the free dining package during that time this year, weren't they? If they're offering the free dining package to get people to visit, I'd guess the crowds aren't that bad.

I have heard that late August is not too bad. You'll have the heat, though. Just avoid the "free dining" week, if there are any more of them. It fell the 2nd week in August, I believe. We were there this past August and it was pretty packed. We still had a great time. All it takes is some preplanning and patience.

Good luck with your decision.

We have done the last week in August since my kids were in 1st grade. (Oldest is now in 1st year of college - so that gives you an idea of how long). That week is not that crowded at all, mostly NY/NJ people as everyone else is back in school. Yes, it can be hot, but it's hot in NY too. Drink lots of water and you'll be fine. We've never waited more the 20 minutes for the most popular rides, and with fast pass, you hardly wait at all. I have to say, I'm sorry to be going to lose that week, since it is no longer going to fit into the school schedule. I wouldn't think twice about not going.

Keep in mind when you started going five years ago it was right after 9/11 and tourism was at a low point. I think that has a lot to do with the crowd situation. I've found it to be very busy year round lately.

August is tough. You are dealing with potential hurricanes and the fact that August is HOT and HUMID and infamous for flash rain storms. They are great for cooling things down though. Given your criteria, however I would say give it a shot. The PP makes a good point in the sense that it is hot in NY/NJ at that time of year.

We've often gone the weekend before Christmas (DH's birthday) and found the weather to be really pleasant, the crowds decent, the rates wonderful (as long as you check in before the last date for value season) and the decorations to be beautiful.

The last week in August should be bearable. The weather will be hot, hot, hot but having been raised in Pennsylvania, it's not that much more horrible than what you will be experiencing. Most southern schools will be back in session. As for hurricanes, you just have to take that year by year. 2005 was horrible. There was nothing in 2006. Roll the dice.

And, I just have to ask - what exit are you from? *ducks*

hniki234 said:
I'm not 100% sure since I've never been the last week of August, but I'm guessing that would be an ok week to go. It's hurricane season so I'm sure that affects the crowd levels, and WDW was offering the free dining package during that time this year, weren't they? If they're offering the free dining package to get people to visit, I'd guess the crowds aren't that bad.
My last 2 trips to WDW have been at the end of Aug. The weather is HOT & MUGGY. The crowds are OK, about 20 to 30 min waits. It rains off and on but when it does come down, it rains hard for 20 mins and that is it. I myself love it at this time of the year. Schools are back in session in the south, so it is just us "Yankees" in WDW.

Although more days off than you want, around Presidents Day in Feb was pretty good. Now we did leave on Saturday so maybe it got bad ... but you are right about Jersey week -- not undoable ... but it was crowded. (Still we had a wonderful time!) :sunny:

I went during the last week in August and it wasn't that bad crowd-wise. With fast pass, I can't remember of ever waiting in lines for more than 5-10 minutes.

It was INSANELY hot though.

We were there during the last week of August this year. I followed the advice of touringplans and it did work, we found the crowds to be light except for the restaurants (free dining). One day we went to the MK and there was zero wait for most rides. We walked onto everything, it was great!! We are thinking about going again at that time next year. Aside from the weather issue, I think it's a great time to go.

Hotter than a pistol! We've been 3x in August incuding this past Aug starting the 26th.

Croweds not bad. Sweat just rolls down your back, tho, standing in line. You will drink, drink, drink. . I've been in November. Much prefer then.

can you go during spring break. Normally, weather is beautiiful then and croweds not too bad if its not the weeks before or after Easter.

herc.

I think we'd rather have crowded in November than blazing hot in August. We've done Disney in the summer back when I was still in school and swore we'd never do it again.

Spring Break doesn't work for us as it almost always is during Passover, which we observe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter