• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When should I start planning?

leebee

DIS Veteran
I am the QUEEN of the last minute Disney trip! Sometimes we stay onsite, sometimes off, but I have been known to start shopping for deals on a Tuesday and arriving in Orlando on Sunday, five days after starting the planning! One summer we made reservations for 10 nights at POP in late July, for a mid-August check-in! SO... I am not very adept at planning in advance, and don't know exactly WHEN I should be making reservations for our next trip- but here are the details of the trip.

For DD's 21st birthday we want to go to the Food&Wine Festival over her semester break, which coincides with Columbus Day weekend in the US and Canadian Thanksgiving. We are probably looking at 4 nights (Sat check in, Wed check out). Usually if we stay onsite, it's in a value, although we have done mods twice. For this special trip, I am hoping for either AKL (savanna view) or BWI. Travelers will be me, DD21, and DH. Money is a factor, and as we normally do values, deluxe is a big jump for me. SO... how far in advance should I make a reservation? Should I wait for a good discount before booking, or can I book and then adjust the reservation if a discount is published? WHat is the "best" deal/% off, on these resorts? Are PINs available? What about renting DVC? (we did this once for OKW but once again, it was a last-minute trip and I was stoked to be able to do this so cheaply!) I don't know how far in advance I can/should try to rent points for this trip.

I clearly need advice/direction here. I know BWI would be more convenient for F&W, but AKL/SV is our dream accommodation! To me, four nights is too short a visit to consider a split-stay. Help with this reservation would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Can't tell you anything about pin codes (as I always thought the low seasons were the same every year) but i strongly suggest to book 6 months + 1 week in advance since you can make 180 days ADR in the most popular restaurants (the 1week before with give you some time to plan your itinerary a little).

AKL is no more than a 10-15 minutes ride in the bus...

If you want to rent points for F & W at an Epcot area resort, you absolutely need to do it at the 11 month mark!!

I own at BWV and will be calling 11 months before the day I want to arrive to make my reservation for next year -- October, 2014, but not that same weekend as you. In other words, since you already know when you want to go, you've got about a month to contact someone to get the details ironed out if you want to a) do BWV and b) be *sure* you'll get the room type and dates you want. I believe it's likely you could get a BWV room during those dates if you are later than that -- but the likelihood lessens a bit every day you wait. For F&W, the Epcot resorts are hard to beat. (BC DVC would have the same restrictions I mention, just to cover my bases.)

With that weekend being a holiday for two separate countries, I would urge you to decide first if you want to do DVC or not -- if not, you would presumably have a bit more time to consider your options. It's been years since I have stayed anywhere other than BWV through DVC, so I don't know if they usually have discounts for the holiday weekend or not at the 'regular' resorts. I can tell you that DVC does not charge more (or less) during that weekend in terms of how many points would be needed. Though it *is* almost the cheapest time of the year, as far as DVC points are concerned.

Just a quick note about the DVC rentals, they're almost always nonrefundable. So if your someone who likes to tweak dates or resorts as the trip gets closer, renting DVC points may not be for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter