When might the Fantasy go into dry dock?

chirurgeon

I am a delicate flower and need my sleep.
I was just wondering if she will get the Vanelope's makeover like the Dream.

Our head server told us that there will be an ice cream shop added during the April 2017 dry dock.

Technical points:

dry dock is not done for internal refurbishing. Dry dock is a requirement for inspection of the underwater hull and the MANY openings between the underwater hull and the sea. SINCE the ship is 'out of action' during the dry dock period it is wize to do internal work at the same time ... but the schedule is driven by SOLAS requirements for underwater inspection (International convention implemented by US & enforced in the US by USCG)

For a cruise ship the basic rule is:

As a minimum two of the inspections of the outside of the ship's bottom during

any 5-year period should be conducted in dry-dock. In all cases, the maximum

interval between any two dry-dock bottom inspections should not exceed 36 months.

There is a part of the rules that says when a NEW ship enters this schedule ..... but by the time a ship is 5 years old they are "in the program" Fantasy entered service in '12 ......

Cruise companies may decide to do internal work that takes longer than the 'dry dock' is needed. The shen ship moves out of the dry dock (which is VERY expensive to occupy) to a dock side maintenance location. Difference being, the ship could NOT sail when in dry dock, but COULD sail while it is in dock side maint' .... so take a guess how much time a company wants to spend in dockside maint' !!!!

Captain BJ, I do understand most of that, but also DCL does seem to take part of the "dry dock" time to make internal improvements. Which is why I phrased it so generally.

Just off the Fantasy and our assistant server confirmed that the refurbishment is set to take place in the May 2017 timeframe.

Technical points:

dry dock is not done for internal refurbishing. Dry dock is a requirement for inspection of the underwater hull and the MANY openings between the underwater hull and the sea. SINCE the ship is 'out of action' during the dry dock period it is wize to do internal work at the same time ... but the schedule is driven by SOLAS requirements for underwater inspection (International convention implemented by US & enforced in the US by USCG)

For a cruise ship the basic rule is:

As a minimum two of the inspections of the outside of the ship's bottom during

any 5-year period should be conducted in dry-dock. In all cases, the maximum

interval between any two dry-dock bottom inspections should not exceed 36 months.

There is a part of the rules that says when a NEW ship enters this schedule ..... but by the time a ship is 5 years old they are "in the program" Fantasy entered service in '12 ......

Cruise companies may decide to do internal work that takes longer than the 'dry dock' is needed. The shen ship moves out of the dry dock (which is VERY expensive to occupy) to a dock side maintenance location. Difference being, the ship could NOT sail when in dry dock, but COULD sail while it is in dock side maint' .... so take a guess how much time a company wants to spend in dockside maint' !!!!

If all they were doing was the inspection aspect, how quickly could it be done?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter