When is the best time to request a building at an All-Star resort?

kay1864

DIS Veteran
I have a Standard reservation at ASM, which normally limits me to the more distant buildings (furthest from the bus stop). I'm hoping to get something closer to the bus stop.

1. Do CMs usually upgrade a Standard room to a Preferred room, if there's space available?

2. If so, would I have better luck requesting a Preferred building on the phone
- several days in advance
- day before I arrive
- morning of the day I arrive (on the phone)
- or at the desk when I check in?

Thanks!

I don't think requesting a free upgrade will do a lot of good-it is usually just a "Pixie Dust" thing.:)

I wouldn't expect a move from a standard room to a preferred room via request.

Is this All-Star Music or All-Star Movies? If you're at Movies, a standard room in the Mighty Ducks puts you close to the bus stop and food court from All-Star Music, actually.

Last edited:
I have a Standard reservation at ASM, which normally limits me to the more distant buildings (furthest from the bus stop). I'm hoping to get something closer to the bus stop.

1. Do CMs usually upgrade a Standard room to a Preferred room, if there's space available?

2. If so, would I have better luck requesting a Preferred building on the phone
- several days in advance
- day before I arrive
- morning of the day I arrive (on the phone)
- or at the desk when I check in?

Thanks!

1. Only if it benefits the resort. Like if they had to take some standard rooms out of service and only preferred remain. And the majority of the time that's done by the room assigners before you arrive.

2. You can make room requests any time from the day you book up until 4-5 days prior. Any later than that and the room assigners won't see your requests.

Preferred rooms at the all Stars cost a bit more. If staying at All Star Music, and you want a preferred room, ask for Calypso. I have stayed there for 22 years and love it. You should reserve it as soon as you can, as the preferred rooms there fill up quickly.

If ASMu request Jazz Inn for standard rooms that are close to transportation. If ASMo, request standard rooms that are at the closest-to-transportation ends of the standard buildings. If you truly want preferred, you'll want to pay for the upgrade. Best luck with request would be before the rooms are assigned (send request at least 5 days out), but I wouldn't anticipate an upgrade unless they overbooked standard and underbooked preferred or need to shuffle people around for whatever reason.

Thanks all, great advice!

(and oops, forgot that ASM has two meanings. We're at All-Star Movies)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter