When is the best time to go to DIsney to avoid crowds? and what hotel

chipper10

Disney Obsessed
My husband and I recently returned from our honeymoon trip to disney Feb. 7-14. The crowds weren't too bad except on the 1st monday which I assume was because of the Super Bowl. We would like to go again sometime in the fall, before November. But I don't want to go when it is going to be incredibably busy.
Also where would you stay? We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge for our honeymoon. This will more than likely be our last trip for about 5 or so years, until we have kids old enough to go. I was thinking about the Beach Club, or Grand Floridian, or French Quarter. Any thoughts on any hotel are greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help.

-Nicole

I think September after school is in session or October is fun, for the Halloween Party. My favorite adult resorts would be the Beach or Yacht Club, Boardwalk, or the Swan and Dolphin. These are great hotels to be by Epcot for great dining out options. Boardwalk has great night life.

Early May is another nice time to visit. The weather is not overwhelmingly hot and the crowds are not usually bad at all. My choice would be one of the hotels near Epcot – the Beach Club is my favorite. Walking to Epcot is easy, as is boating to Epcot or MGM. Many restaurants to choose from as well. The Grand Floridian is great, too, as is the Polynesian.

The first couple weeks of December aren't crowded at all! :)

The Grand Floridian is my absolute favorite. We stayed there in December for the first time and it could have not been more perfect. The lobby is so beautiful at Christmas time with a giant tree in the middle and a life-size gingerbread house (that sells cookies!) Some people say it's a stuffy resort but not at all! The castmembers were so friendly and the castmember assured that we got our room request.

The rooms are so wonderful and the top floor are dormer rooms (they are rooms with vaulted ceilings). We stayed in a dormer room in Conch Key with a garden view and could actually see over the lagoon. The decor of the rooms are different in the buldings, some have a cameo theme, swan theme, alice in wonderland theme, floral theme, etc. T
he resort is a turn-of-the-century theme and the costumes of the castmembers are wonderful, they perfectly match the resort's theme.

There are so many great shops and restaurants. There is Citricos, I have never eaten there but it looked very good. Victoria and Albert's is another option. The Grand Floridian Cafe has wonderful food and service. There's also the 1900 Park Park buffet which serves breakfast and dinner. Mary Poppins, the Mad Hatter, Alice, and Pooh are all there. Narcoosee's is another restaurant looked liked like a great place to eat because it was right on the edge of the lagoon.

The Grand Floridian also has a spa were you can get a variety of spa treatments. I have never had one myself but was thinking about it for our next trip.

Another thing that's great about the Grand Floridian is that you're right next to the Magic Kingdom!

I think you can tell I'm in love with the Grand Floridian. ;)

If you want to go in fall do the MNSSHP in Oct. We love that party. I would avoid the last week of Oct since that time is starting to get more busy. It's a great event, great weather, and low crowds.

Is that the halloween party?

I usually vote for the Boardwalk, but hey, if your budget allows, why not stay at the GF? Do a mid-day spa break! Someday, I hope to convince my DH to fork out the mula and make me a very,very, happy DW. Go for it!!

I'm so jealous! :love: :cheer2:

Thanks for all the advice. If anyone else has suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. We have to go before mid-November though, b/c my husband is in retail. The suggestions for hotels are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

-Nicole :earsgirl:

I've heard that the week after Labor day is pretty quiet.

Sept is probably the best - followed by Jan, May

however you are missing one of Epcot best attraction - the Food/Wine Festavial - it starts this year Sept 30 and goes until Nov 12?

for an adults only trip - this would be a great choice.

I would stay at the BC - just because it is the closest one to Epcot.

the least crowds would be in the smaller resorts - WL or POFQ.

stay away from the value resorts.

Just don't go the first couple of weeks in Noember - Jersey Week, Super Soap Weekend (although dates haven't been released yet), Election Day, Veterans Day, Epcot Fodd and Wine. The week just before Thanksgiving week was great this year - only the weekdays. The weekend was out of control - too many things going on in the World.........see above.

We stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter in February 2003 and loved it. It was very peaceful and we were able to ride a boat to Downtown Disney. I definitely would stay at this resort again.

Just my opinion, but I would opt for the Epcot resorts (Beach Club, Boardwalk) over the Grand Floridian. For your honeymoon, yes the GF resort is beautiful, romantic, and some nice fine dining options. But hey, after 7, 8 months of marriage your an old married couple now.... :rotfl:
No, Boardwalk and Beach Club offer more entertainment wise. You could have something to do every night at the Epcot resorts!
Also, I had forgotten about the Food and Wine, you would love it!

The week after labor day has minimal crowds, but with nights of Joy the MK closes early friday/saturday. Any other time in September will be light crowds. Also the parks close earlier and there may only be fireworks on saturday night. There may be rehabs, but it seems like they did a lot already for the May celebration.

The food & wine festival is a great time to go! The Epcot resorts are perfect for that, as you can walk to epcot. The Yacht Club or BWI would be nice for a couple. BC is closer, but I like the full balconies (sp?) at YC. BC villas would be great if you feel like splurging on a 1 BR with king bed & big tub!

I'd agree to avoid early november. Lots of holidays and those silly NJ people. :)

We try to go in early November. Last time, even though it was Jersey week (I am from Jersey ;) it was not very crowded. We did not have more than a 15 minute wait for anything. The Food & Wine at EPCOT was awesome. We left right before Super Soap, so don't know how crowded that is.

The Halloween party is a must see and crowds are very low. As for hotels....it really is more about the $$ and the theme that you like. Allears.net has great pics of all of them that should really help you out. We stayed at the Dolphin and did enjoy the Boardwalk area and ease of getting to Epcot. But I can't say the resorts over there really thrilled me for the price.

Conversely GF, Poly or Contemporary I'd stay in a heartbeat! Love the convenience of the Monorail and just the beauty of the resorts themselves and their location/views. We're giving POFQ a try this year...I've heard very good things about it too. I like the idea of a boatride to DTD. We enjoyed taking the boat to MGM from the Dolphin.

Funny, I've been to Disney as a child, young single adult, married w/out kids, married w/ 1 child, and then w/ 2! Each experience is different. And I've loved them all!

Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter