When is school over for your kids?

Do you all start in August?? I start after Labor Day and I don't get done till June 23rd! Darn New York and it's high standards in education. :P

I know my niece and nephews in GA started very early in August and get out this Friday for the summer. They also got a Fall Break in October, a Winter Break in February, and Spring Break in April- a week each time, I think.

Here in NC, DD started on 8/25 and gets out on 6/10. We don't get any Fall or Winter breaks- our only multi-day vacations are 3 days for T'giving, anywhere from 8-10 days for Christmas, and a week for Spring Break (always the week following Easter).

I know NC has to have the kids complete 180 days of instructional days- I think they do the same in GA...

In the UK our school doesn't break up till around the 17th July (which is the norm in England), they don't go back till the 2nd week of september though.

I agree the school year should end the friday before memorial day and start the day after labor day. What is wrong with these schools? I am willing to give up spring break and thanksgiving week and the week before christmas(so I cab wrap in peace) to have a longer summer. That's when the best weather is around here.

AMEN!!!! Why can't they get rid of a few "Teacher Work Days", too? Why can't they just stay over an hour or two a couple of days a week or even work on a Saturday every now and then? :confused3

Our students in upstate SC get out June 4th and do not go back until Sept. 1st this year due to a lot of construction projects going on this summer. That will push them out to June 10th for the last day in 2010.!!

Nebraska here - we get out this Thursday, May 21st. We go back the day after Labor Day.

Due to snow days here in my area of NC, my boys get out June 15th. They should have gotten out the 10th.

Wow! I had no idea the standard US summer holidays were three months. How many teaching days does that work out to? (If anyone knows.) I'm up in Canada and we get two months off. My kids (that I teach) last day is June 26. They'll start back August 27, for about two months off. We have 192 instructional days next year.

We have 180 days, so June 16th is our last day. June 17th I'm officially considered a junior - half of my high school years are gone. It seemed like elementary school dragged on forever while 7th grade and on flew by.

AMEN!!!! Why can't they get rid of a few "Teacher Work Days", too? Why can't they just stay over an hour or two a couple of days a week or even work on a Saturday every now and then? :confused3

Our students in upstate SC get out June 4th and do not go back until Sept. 1st this year due to a lot of construction projects going on this summer. That will push them out to June 10th for the last day in 2010.!!

Oh yes and the public schools here have a half day every tuesday. You would think that they would do it on a friday so people coud get a jump start on the weekend but nope it's tuesday for teacher planning. My MIL was a teacher for over 30 years and managed just fine to get her plannimg done and still work less then other private sector jobs. That is anoter pet peeve of mine. Do your job on your own time or let us out on fridays early so we can benefit from it.

Do you all start in August?? I start after Labor Day and I don't get done till June 23rd! Darn New York and it's high standards in education. :P

Everyone is still required to put in 180 school days.

THis school year began August 8th an the last day is May 27th (1/2 day). This next year we go back on August 14th.

We were supposed to get out May 28th but had two "extreme cold" days so we will get out June 1. First day of school will be August 18th.:surfweb:

We started the first week of August and will finish this Wednesday, May 20th! We are finishing up our first year of homeschooling and it has been a wonderful experience!

Oh yes and the public schools here have a half day every tuesday. You would think that they would do it on a friday so people coud get a jump start on the weekend but nope it's tuesday for teacher planning. My MIL was a teacher for over 30 years and managed just fine to get her plannimg done and still work less then other private sector jobs. That is anoter pet peeve of mine. Do your job on your own time or let us out on fridays early so we can benefit from it.

We have early release ever Wed. I was told that they didn't do it on Friday because they didn't want the teachers skipping out early.:confused3

Our county the schools have to go a 179 days taught. When i first started subbing 12 years ago they went 170 days taught. This is class room instruction days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter