When I went solo, I didn't use a watch, Fast Pass, or a phone

Mr Mannn

Who da Mannn? He da Mannn!
I loved the easy laid back nature of my trip. I went on rides when I got there. I never rushed to make a reservation because I didn't make reservations.

This was the first week of February. The parks were not that busy. and I could just drink in all the magic.
I really feel sorry for those chained to their i phones...there is so much to see that you are missing. Even in lines, people are far more interesting than a text or a game.

If you are going solo...DON'T RUSH. Maybe dinner reservations are nice, OK...but don't sweat it 6 months before you go. You are on vacation. relax. Don't make yourself a slave to a schedule.

I ate dinner at the nice hotels. It was as much fun exploring a hotel as the dinner. If a restaurant was full, I found another. But I would not eat at anyplace with bench seating, it was a table or not at all.

This may not work for everyone, but until you have had a stress free Disney vacation, you have not lived.

My DH and I did an adult trip in February. We did a lot of relaxing and not rushing (took naps everyday---didn't worry about rope drop), but I still had our TS planned and some FP+. I just hate waiting in line more than I hate waking up early or planning.

Sometimes having the phone can help you be spontaneous. There were a few rides that the lines were getting longer (like over 30 minutes), but I was able to jump on the app and get a FP+ for that ride immediately.

On the other hand, when we went, really only 7DMT and Ohana required planning ahead of time. Everything else we were able to just book that day or change around that day.

I loved the easy laid back nature of my trip. I went on rides when I got there. I never rushed to make a reservation because I didn't make reservations.

My solo trips are much the same, except I sometimes make one or two MDRs for restaurants that I like but the family does not. Otherwise, I pretty much go with the flow, visiting whichever park I'm in the mood for at the moment. Taking a break when I feel like it. If the line for a ride is too long, I skip and come back later. Works for me.

This was the first week of February. The parks were not that busy. and I could just drink in all the magic.
I really feel sorry for those chained to their i phones...there is so much to see that you are missing. Even in lines, people are far more interesting than a text or a game.

If you are going solo...DON'T RUSH. Maybe dinner reservations are nice, OK...but don't sweat it 6 months before you go. You are on vacation. relax. Don't make yourself a slave to a schedule.

I ate dinner at the nice hotels. It was as much fun exploring a hotel as the dinner. If a restaurant was full, I found another. But I would not eat at anyplace with bench seating, it was a table or not at all.

This may not work for everyone, but until you have had a stress free Disney vacation, you have not lived.
So true! Now I am seeing people posting about how they plan to use the Pokemon Go app while at the park to keep them entertained. I mean, if the park itself cannot keep someone entertained, they need professional help! I cannot imagine being on my phone all while at the park. I will use it for photos and for the My Disney Experience app and that is about it. I am going to WDW solo for the first time this coming October and really looking forward to doing whatever I want, whenever I want to. I did make some dining reservations because I am a person who needs some form of structure, and also wanted to take out the guessing work as to where I'll eat next, but I left enough open space in my schedule for whim.

:tigger:

I still am pretty gung ho when solo, sometimes hitting 3 parks in one day. I definitely used FP, and since my DH wasn't on the trip I took his magic band and booked FP on it for my second park of the day. Laid back is not in my nature. I did have some days of no park visits also, but do enjoy being able to do exactly what I want, which is often to ride rides! I don't really use my phone for anything at the park, except a few photos with characters.

I do the same thing when I go solo, no ADRs in advance very few FPs and those are normally made the night before. In all honesty, when my son goes with me we do the same thing. I'm going solo for F&W and I have to admit I have booked a food and wine pairing meal, a few little cooking demos and beverage tastings and a cheese seminar. I plan on hitting the parks in the mornings before F&W opens then hop over to Epcot to pig out at the booths and enjoy walking around and looking a people. I have an AP so park hopping is easy and I've been known to go to 3 parks in a day without a single FP and no plans.

Now I am seeing people posting about how they plan to use the Pokemon Go app while at the park to keep them entertained. I mean, if the park itself cannot keep someone entertained, they need professional help!
If the park itself cannot keep someone entertained, they may as well stay home and save their money.

One of my favorite parts of my last solo trip was taking my time going through the regular line at EE. I looked at every single display. Almost everyone got it, everyone saw me enjoying myself and just respectfully went by. Except for one 'VERY CONCERNED' lady who couldn't understand why I wasn't moving with the rest of the line. I kind of felt bad for her.

One of my favorite parts of my last solo trip was taking my time going through the regular line at EE. I looked at every single display. Almost everyone got it, everyone saw me enjoying myself and just respectfully went by. Except for one 'VERY CONCERNED' lady who couldn't understand why I wasn't moving with the rest of the line. I kind of felt bad for her.
It's amazing when we don't go with the grain, how people get disconcerted. Going solo this October, I plan to spend my time rediscovering the park. I want to see it like I have never seen it before, taking my time on Main Street, finding 'Hidden Mickeys' and really 'looking.' I will be there long enough to allow me to do it and take my time, as well as going on any ride I want, as many times as I want. I even decided to buy one night of Mickey-Not-So-Scary Halloween, which, as an introvert, was a massive decision to make. But since I never go with the grain, I will be able to actually get into rides faster, do whatever I want and see the parades I want. I am not into candy, nor into meeting characters, so while most of the people will stand in line (sometimes, I hear, for a good hour) to meet a special character or get candy by the pound, I will take in the park bathed in Halloween lights, go on rides and enjoy a whole new feel to WDW. Since I am also there during the day, I will try and get some special Halloween merchandise, but even there I don't go insane to get THE item everyone must get. I go with the flow.

I'm going the second week of October, first solo trip! I am taking my daughters Hidden Mickey book, plan to wander about and hit those single rider lines! No plans for meals, except to meet my friend who works at Disney, for qs lunch in Epcot one Day. I'm pretty sure it's as close to running away as this married forever, grandmom of nine, can get :)

My Disney Buddy has dropped out of the trip we were planning for February. Do I still go solo?
I'm enjoying the posts for solo visiting. I'm a bit of an introvert so worry I'll go entire days without talking to anyone but some of the posts have had great advice.

My Disney Buddy has dropped out of the trip we were planning for February. Do I still go solo?
I'm enjoying the posts for solo visiting. I'm a bit of an introvert so worry I'll go entire days without talking to anyone but some of the posts have had great advice.

I am an introvert (more than a just a 'bit') and going on my first solo trip the last week of October! The decision to go solo was scary at first, but soon it became an exciting prospect (and I even started a blog about an introvert going solo to Disney World, which you can read here if you like). I have had many people who are introverts and scared to make the leap of going alone to Disney World tell me my blog and the posts on this forum really helped them make the decision to do it. I would say, do it. My blog goes into every possible reason why an introvert can go to Disney alone and really enjoy it, from the trepidations to booking a solo trip as an introvert, to booking it and planning it, and later actually going).

Above all, I would say that by going alone you can do anything you like. You can wander around Main Street, looking at all the details we usually miss when going with other people, especially people who want to keep moving. If you want to spend time in a shop, you can do it. You can go on whatever rides you wish, as many times as you wish, and skip the rides you don't want to go on. You can park hop to your heart's content, too. There is no one to answer to. If you stay at a Disney Resort, you won't really feel alone because you're in the magic of Disney for your entire stay. Don't worry about not being able to talk to people, because you can always find people to connect with. Cast Members are great to talk with and this is something that we normally can't do much of when we're with other people. If you happen to do pin collecting, you can exchange pins with CM's and that also creates opportunity for connecting. Not to mention you are bound to bump into other people who are there alone.

There is even the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom that can keep you entertained by yourself, or, as the other person here said, you can go looking for Hidden Mickeys! Best of all, you can connect with other people when you want to, and spend time with yourself the rest of the time. There are rides you can go on when you feel the most like being away from people, like the Magic Kingdom railway, which circles the park. It is a nice, long, quiet ride, especially in the afternoons. Your resort can also offer a quiet escape, especially resorts like the Disney Port Orleans (Riverside or French Quarter). The biggest fear we tend to have as introverts alone in public places like Disney World is eating alone. You can book a few dinners to make sure you're set, but overall, most people at the parks are so involved in their own fun (or misery...I have seen some really miserable people at WDW!) to really care what you're doing. This is one of those places where you can REALLY feel comfortable alone surrounded by thousands of people. I hope you chose to go solo rather than not go. You may discover that this is an amazing time you'll want to do over again and may have some wonderful solo trips in the future. It has been known to happen. This frees us from the chains of not going to Disney World, a place we love, simply because other people won't come with us.

I'm going the second week of October, first solo trip! I am taking my daughters Hidden Mickey book, plan to wander about and hit those single rider lines! No plans for meals, except to meet my friend who works at Disney, for qs lunch in Epcot one Day. I'm pretty sure it's as close to running away as this married forever, grandmom of nine, can get :)
I love that! I was wondering how good that book is and was planning on possibly getting it before I head to Disney the last week of October on my first solo trip there. When I booked my trip, the Cast Member mentioned to me I should look for the Hidden Mickey in the Haunted Mansion's dining/ball room. I think I know where it is, but it made me want to look for HM's elsewhere, too.

I love that! I was wondering how good that book is and was planning on possibly getting it before I head to Disney the last week of October on my first solo trip there. When I booked my trip, the Cast Member mentioned to me I should look for the Hidden Mickey in the Haunted Mansion's dining/ball room. I think I know where it is, but it made me want to look for HM's elsewhere, too.

:tigger:[/QUOTE

It's really fun to find them! The one in the haunted mansion graveyard is still hiding from me! You'll enjoy it.

You'll enjoy it, they are fun to look for! I'm still trying find one in the graveyard of the haunted mansion.

The OP shares my idea of a good trip. I want to take a break from the world online and I don't want to have a phone with me. I will likely wear a watch only because some of the restaurants I want to eat at usually need reservations, but I want to be detached from the world online. I'll be packing a good Nikon camera to capture the memories.

I'm up in the air regarding Fast Pass. While it's nice to get on some rides quickly, I don't view it as mandatory. Some queue areas, like the Mine Train, Haunted Mansion, or Tower of Terror, have so much to check out within them. Plus, if we did it without Fast Passes before the 2000s, we can still do it.

I plan on using the hotel phone if I need to contact anyone, and I know they can leave a message in the case of an emergency. On the family trips, we did have a phone in 2000 and have had one every trip since then, but if I look back, the 1995 trip was far less stressful than any of the subsequent ones. I think I found the reason. I also plan on sending postcards to everyone back home just like old times.

I may buy that Hidden Mickey book too...just to amuse myself and see how many I can find. I have friends who have gone hunting for them and I'd like to see if I can match their skills.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter