When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have say I hope the US/Florida gets their act together --- I don't think they have at this point at all but I really do hope they do because Canadians for the most part view Americans as being friends and allies. I understand there's domestic stuff that plays into this but... really Florida benefits from the world looking at it in a positive and safe light. We had Dec 2020/ March 2021 ressies which we have cancelled since there is no indicatition that the US will react rationally at all at this point all. We've gone yearly since 1996, spending tons each visit but won't be going back and paying into the local economy through grocery, transport, shopping, hotels, etc... until this turns around.

I'm not super political but if your state isn't safe for visitors (in light of what visual evidence, local health, and political voices say) then WDW/Universal is not going to be successful despite their efforts.

I'm not sure what to do. I still want to and feel comfortable traveling September 7. What I'm stuck on is the flight. I don't want to book it and then have it get canceled. Everything is so perfectly planned. DVC rental 2 weeks at Poly.

We can fly either AC or WJ. Since we rented DVC points we can't get money back. If we don't travel this date we don't know when we would be able to travel again so changing dates doesn't work either. We've already cancelled and rebooked 5 times from our original date in April :scared:

I'm not sure what to do. I still want to and feel comfortable traveling September 7. What I'm stuck on is the flight. I don't want to book it and then have it get canceled. Everything is so perfectly planned. DVC rental 2 weeks at Poly.

We can fly either AC or WJ. Since we rented DVC points we can't get money back. If we don't travel this date we don't know when we would be able to travel again so changing dates doesn't work either. We've already cancelled and rebooked 5 times from our original date in April :scared:

I have to say I don't get this.... everyone on this board loves WDW but since Florida as a state has shown zero understanding of the situation and doesn't show any will to resolve this. I don't see the 14 day quarantine rule on returning to Canada lifting anytime soon --- regardless of border opening --- so as long as your plan factors that in I guess you should be a go... but I will say I think the $750,000 fine seems about right for those coming back to Canada who don't respect the 14 day quarantine required by the Canadian government.

I just got off the phone with Air Canada. They said they are flying to Orlando and Ft Lauderdale weekly.

So I supposed we'll be good to go in September as of now. We have slight concerns but overall I feel safer in Disney World than at the grocery store. Hopefully things improve by mid Septmeber. And I have no issue being in quarantine for 14 days when we return and/or being tested.

I just got off the phone with Air Canada. They said they are flying to Orlando and Ft Lauderdale weekly.

So I supposed we'll be good to go in September as of now. We have slight concerns but overall I feel safer in Disney World than at the grocery store. Hopefully things improve by mid Septmeber. And I have no issue being in quarantine for 14 days when we return and/or being tested.

September is 2 months away. Do you really think Florida will go from 15,000 new cases daily to 100 or less daily in 2 months? Would you feel comfortable bringing your family to a city where there is NO hospital bed or medical resource left? What if someone gets sick there and there is no ICU to accept your family member? That has happened to my family before, not for COVID, but for other reasons needing an ICU bed. I will never forget that day where I am calling all Ontario hospitals one by one and beg for a bed. The doctors could not find one. After spending hours on the phone, I found one in Ottawa. I had to use air ambulance to fly my family member from Toronto to Ottawa. I also had to drive on Highway that night to meet my family up... I will never forget that day. I will also never imagine anyone would take the remote chance of getting into a situation where your loved one is critically ill but there is no hospital bed to accept that person.

Please reconsider.

If you get sick in anyway or have any symptoms you will not be allowed on the plane home. So please make sure you have the resources for your family to stay in Florida for an extended period of time at your own expense. As someone else mentioned you should also double check your health insurance as many will not cover you if you travel during a travel advisory. I don’t think any will cover you for any costs related to covid.

I'm sure if someone is deciding to go they know the risks involved. Its within someones right to choose to travel. I plan to, and I fully know I'll have to quaratine for 14 days when I return.

I'm sure if someone is deciding to go they know the risks involved. Its within someones right to choose to travel. I plan to, and I fully know I'll have to quaratine for 14 days when I return.
And it’s fully within others rights to think it’s absurd and selfish to travel to a known Covid hotspot in the middle of global pandemic.
Great ... you plan to quarantine. What about all the people you encounter during your mode of travel , in the restaurants , the airports , the theme parks ? If you’re not worried about your health that’s fine , but by being a willing host you‘re participating in the potential spread to others. And the likelihood is high.. this isn’t some far fetched “what if”... the numbers in Florida are atrocious.

And it’s fully within others rights to think it’s absurd and selfish to travel to a known Covid hotspot in the middle of global pandemic.
Great ... you plan to quarantine. What about all the people you encounter during your mode of travel , in the restaurants , the airports , the theme parks ? If you’re not worried about your health that’s fine , but by being a willing host you‘re participating in the potential spread to others. And the likelihood is high.. this isn’t some far fetched “what if”... the numbers in Florida are atrocious.

Agree! For all of you planning on travelling this is the official word from the government of Canada.

Official Global Travel Advisories
Avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada and avoid all cruise ship travel

Gonna delete my rant cause I was pissed off when I wrote it. But I’m leaving this here.

Last edited:
People who have decided they are travelling aren’t going to change their minds because your cousin’s daughter in law is a resident. (No offence intended). They have decided what they feel is right. I don’t agree with them, you don’t agree with them but they feel they are invincible.

It truly is a shame that people don’t see what our front line health workers go through to help us. They put their lives at risk while others go to Disney. It’s ridiculous. I’m sure the people travelling will say it is those people’s choice to work where they do. What can you do? In the end, if they aren’t prevented from going by our border service agents, then we have to rely on them wanting to help contain this by staying home. Unfortunately, we can’t make people do the right thing.

I'm not at the point where I feel throwing thousands of dollars away is warranted over the risk of catching something I could just as easily get from the grocery store, mall, camping, zoo, protest or anywhere else which is currently open here. I've already been told I cannot get the money back for this trip.

If...IF it's proven that there are increased cases IN the parks/resort then I will cancel. But as of now there has not been any evidence of that. I feel very safe with what Disney has implemented as do many others who currently work and are visiting there. I'm traveling to Polynesian and staying put except for the park days, keeping a secure mask on and be equipped with my own sanitizer, socially distancing as much as humanly possible. I will not be hopping all over Florida. When I return, I have no work until the earliest November. As mentioned, lock me up in quarantine for 14 days+. I'm fine with that.

Hopefully the next 50+ days sees improvement. The moment Walt Disney World announces rooted cases, I'll pull the plug and eat the cost. If the parks close again or they ground flights, I'll have an excuse to be allowed to move my points to a later date.

It's a pandemic in more ways than one and one of those is misinformation.

Last edited:
I wonder what the travel insurance situation will be like once the border opens. That may be a huge factor in whether people risk crossing over into the US for more than a couple of days.

Agree! For all of you planning on travelling this is the official word from the government of Canada.

Official Global Travel Advisories
Avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada and avoid all cruise ship travel until further notice.

So you say you know the risks, you say you are comfortable with it blah blah blah. But you basically saying screw what government (and most of Canada) wants me to do. I’m going on vacation. This isn’t a joke Florida is horrible right now. The state isn’t forthcoming with hospital numbers and you have to ask yourself why. If you do some searching you will see the doctors are saying hospitals are filling up. It will only get worse. But hey you go have your vacation. Who cares if you help spread it around hotels, airplanes etc. And then hey potentially bring it back to Canada. And sure you will quarantine, but say you caught covid then it’s medical staff here that have to treat you. All because you want a vacation.

My cousins daughter in law is a medical resident. She was just telling me yesterday that the hospital she works for is forbidding the residents from travelling to another province. One girl couldn’t even travel to BC for her own wedding. These are the people that will treat your sorry butt when you come back home with covid. You saying “I know my risks and I’m still going on my vacation too Florida” is like a slap in the face to those people we’ve been calling hero’s.

It’s so incredibly selfish to go into a hot spot for a vacation.

The thing is we all want to travel. But if there was ever a time to suck it up, this is it.

I get the sense that DVC owners feel pressured to keep their trip(s) or lose their points for the year. Or worse, those who have purchased DVC points for a trip in a private arrangement with a DVC owner on a third party website and have no parachute. I don't know enough about DVC to understand the ins and outs of using points. Perhaps someone who knows can clarify this. Time share has never appealed to me. COVID has highlighted my worry of being bound to WDW for my annual vacation or forfeit my points/investment for the year. I do get the 'I need my WDW fix'. Everyone on this Board loves WDW. But my priority must be my family, clients and neighbours before vacation.

I get the sense that DVC owners feel pressured to keep their trip(s) or lose their points for the year. Or worse, those who have purchased DVC points for a trip in a private arrangement with a DVC owner on a third party website and have no parachute. I don't know enough about DVC to understand the ins and outs of using points. Perhaps someone who knows can clarify this. Time share has never appealed to me. COVID has highlighted my worry of being bound to WDW for my annual vacation or forfeit my points/investment for the year. I do get the 'I need my WDW fix'. Everyone on this Board loves WDW. But my priority must be my family, clients and neighbours before vacation.
DVC has been overly accommodating, probably to the long term (next 5 years) detriment to the system, given the points that will flood it when this finally passes.

Borrowed points are STILL being returned to their former use year, so the owners won’t forfeit them. Current use years can be banked forward and late (after deadline) banking was allowed. Those who are losing points are those who were trying to use banked 2018/9 points & to be honest, this is not a wise way to use DVC. Many of these members were attempting to use points in the last 4 months of their use year when they can no longer be banked (past deadline). This is not smart. Use years exist for a reason. Those points can be put into an RCI exchange up to 45 days prior to expiry with properties in CA EU etc available. RCI extends the life of the points by 2 years. It is not considered a « good » trade because DVC properties are more coveted than those in the RCI system, but 🤷🏼‍♀️

Those that rented have had some success via chargebacks on their CC. Others don’t understand that option exists and honestly I have no clue why everyone wouldn’t immediately try for a CC reimbursement.

All that to say that any Canadian DVC owner using the excuse that they have to go is full of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter