When do you start packing?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by EPCOTatNight, Apr 12, 2013.

1. omalley1118

omalley1118 DIS Veteran

Of course by HDTV, I meant DH.... Darn that autocorrect...LOL

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. EPCOTatNight

EPCOTatNight I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original D

Some people are married to their HDTV.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

4. MDennis28

MDennis28 Mouseketeer

I dream of packing early. I put my open suitcase on a spare bed and throw a few things in. Usually it ends up being last minute. The latest I have been was staying up all night to pack and leave at 4 am for a 6 am flight. My DH waited in the warm car with the motor running as I scurried around trying to finish! Going to try and Not repeat that scenario again...a little too stressful!

5. Mickeyhugger

Mickeyhugger DIS Veteran

The day after we return from our previous Disney cruise.:rotfl:

6. sorceressk

sorceressk Mouseketeer

This is me. I pack the night before. And if u forget something--so what? It's a Disney cruise-who cares!?!?

7. Pages

Pages Earning My Ears

3 months out and I am making my list and travel binder! Packing and planning is half the fun! :)

8. Tozzie

Tozzie DIS Veteran

I am a night before to day of packer, I don't have the time or desire to pack weeks or even days before a trip. I have bins filled with toiletries and other incidentals and I relplace them when I return from a trips so I always have what I need. The only thing I did last year when i put my summer clothes away for the winter is I put the clothes that I knew I would want to take on this summers med cruise in a separate bin. If I need anything cleaned or pressed well the dry cleaning service on the ship is cheaper than here at home and will take care of it on the ship

9. MinnesotaMouseketeers

MinnesotaMouseketeers DIS Veteran

I'll start putting things aside up to two weeks ahead of our departure date. Any article of clothing that I know I want packed and will not need for any other occasion. Documents, toiletries, medications, sun screen, etc. My wife is a last minute packer, hurrying to get laundry done sometimes the day before.

10. EPCOTatNight

EPCOTatNight I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original D

That's what I don't care to do. Maybe, it's because I'm a man, but I can't imagine putting one seasons clothes away. All my clothes stay together. I also live in New Orleans where I can and do wear shorts during the Winter months, so I guess there is no such thing as Summer and Winter clothes.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

11. ratt1345

ratt1345 Always wishing I was Disney cruisin'!!!

Since we live only 2.5 hours away from Port Canaveral, we pack 2 days or the day before the cruise. For the Alaska cruise 2 years ago, we packed around 3 days before we had to fly out.

12. ludari

ludari DIS Veteran

I keep a cruise packing list so those items I will not need I pack a week or so before but I usually finish packing a few days before my scheduled depature.

13. mommy2tati

mommy2tati DIS Veteran

The day before our flight...always.:rotfl:

14. dizzyr

dizzyr DIS Veteran

I like how you say probably - you're keeping your options open lol!

15. dizzyr

dizzyr DIS Veteran

I'm usually a last minute night before kind of packer which is surprising since I don't cruise until November and I have everything else planned already including the 6 days in Orlando before the cruise! I'm actually bummed because I have nothing to plan so maybe I'll start a packing list :)

16. omalley1118

omalley1118 DIS Veteran

Wow! Just reading that made me stressed....LOL!

17. I heart d1sney

I heart d1sney Earning My Ears

My cruise is in 60 days and I've been creating my packing list for about 2 months now. I've already packed the important things that I won't need (passports). I like to be prepared, and hate forgetting things!!

18. PrettyPrincessJen

PrettyPrincessJen AKA "MomBomb"

I pack along the way. I made a list two years ago and have been buying/gathering items all along. This kept my mind busy and our costs spread out. We needed big items like 5 passports, luggage rack/luggage trailer etc. (we drive not fly). We keep a "cruise bag" that items are placed in. Starting three weeks before the trip (next week for us) we will wash clothes like crazy to make sure all laundry is caught up so we have the most options available for our trip. T - two weeks we make a list of items needed and days we will be gone. We also list special items like water shoes or pirate costumes.(Continue clothes washing/cleaning up house to make sure we leave a clean house). At the one week mark we lay out the suit cases in a large line and pack a person a day (there are 5 of us). We then pack carryon bags. Finally we make a list of last minute items that can not be packed until it is time to go.
    I must say though I have been having nightmares about leaving our passports and my camera by mistake with no one to send them to us. I will be riding out the driveway with my items in hand, because at the end of the day only the documents are necessary everything else is gravy!!

19. ranidayz

ranidayz DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

I always have a bag/box set aside for cruise things. As I acquire them during the year - I throw them in. I also have a list of what goes on the cruise -- it's gotten pretty standard over the years. For my first cruise, I was literally totally packed about two months in advance - but that was in March and no one needed their summer clothes. Now that we usually go later in the year, I can't be so diligent.

Toiletries get packed first as we don't miss them. Cruise specific stuff is next. For clothes, everyone gets a list emailed to them - if they follow it, they'll have everything - if they don't - they won't.

I make sure to pack some of everyone's clothes in each suitcase in case any suitcases get lost - that way everyone has some clothes. I started something new:idea: last year on the advice of a neighbor. Everyone's clothes get neatly stacked and put into ziploc bags which I squeeze the air out of. It's very easy to unpack quickly and nothing is wrinkled. It also helps avoid the dreaded 'storm damage.' One year during a terrible downpour, SW left all of our suitcases out while waiting for the plane. When we got home, everything - I mean every single thing - was soaking.

The final touches (chargers, documents, etc) get added a couple days before.

Good luck on your packing!:woohoo:

20. lilpooh108

lilpooh108 DIS Veteran

I bring my hardshell suitcase up the month before, and randomly throw things on top of it/in it as I remember to. That way, I don't forget the random stuff and it gives me an idea of how much space I have/need.

About a week before I make a list and start packing "for real." Throughout the years I've been emailing my list to myself, so it's convenient b/c I can see what season I cruised in, stuff I needed for the kids depending on how old they were, and it makes me remember what I brought before but didn't need.

21. TiggerBouncy

TiggerBouncy Mouseketeer

I started Sunday for my cruise this saturday, although we leave friday because we are hitting up DW for a day first (avoid flying the day of the cruise).

Honestly I would not have packed until thursday night, but I have to figure out how to fit in 120 FE gifts into my bags with my clothes. :cool1: