When Do LA Area Schools Start The 2014-2015 Year?

dnamertz

DIS Veteran
Are there any school calendars out yet that show when Los Angeles area schools are back in session to start their 2014-2015 school year?

From what we could find it is after Labor Day which is Sept 1st for 2014.
We have booked to arrive on the 7th so fingers crossed this is accurate info.

There are MANY different districts in the LA and Orange County areas. Some go back as early as mid-August and some as late as mid-September. It is really hard to judge ahead of time.

We are in South Orange County in a very large school district and generally go back to school after Labor Day. In 2013 however, we went back a week after labor day. The other thing to watch is that southern CA season passes generally open back up end of Aug so people who were blocked out through summer plan their trips then.

We are in South Orange County in a very large school district and generally go back to school after Labor Day. In 2013 however, we went back a week after labor day. The other thing to watch is that southern CA season passes generally open back up end of Aug so people who were blocked out through summer plan their trips then.

We are in that district as well. :) We don't have our school calendar for next year due to budget issues and probably won't until late spring. I'm certainly hoping we start earlier this year - getting out in late June is a total bummer.

Are there any school calendars out yet that show when Los Angeles area schools are back in session to start their 2014-2015 school year?

While there are a lot of [smaller] school districts in the greater Los Angeles and Orange County areas, Los Angeles Unified is the largest BY FAR. It is the 2nd largest district in the country, with well over half a million students.

This year, LAUSD schools started on August 13th. The calendar has not been announced for next year yet, but you can definitely count on it having a start date in mid-August.

I know people in a lot of different districts in So Cal, and they all went back in mid- to late-August this year. The only kids I know of who went back after Labor Day were in small private schools.

Hope this helps.

Just curious which district in South OC is very large? Are you in Saddleback Valley? I think they have about 35,000 students...as compared to LAUSD with over 600,000 students. Just want to put things in perspective for the OP :-)

Some districts start as early as mid-august and some as late as the second monday in September.

We live in Los Angeles, but not part of LAUSD.... We are part of ABCUSD and our kids usually go back the Monday after Labor Day. I believe Long Beach (LBUSD) also goes in early September.

Capo Unified. Almost 54k students. Certainly not as large as LAUSD but when Capo has a school holiday it is a lot of students out. We are only 30 miles from Disneyland and I usually run into several people that I know if we are there on a school holiday. We only started school once before Labor Day and the parents went so nutty about it that we've never done it again. We usually start a day or two after Labor Day.

Just curious which district in South OC is very large? Are you in Saddleback Valley? I think they have about 35,000 students...as compared to LAUSD with over 600,000 students. Just want to put things in perspective for the OP :-)

Since there's no statewide school calendar in CA it's tough to try and plan around school schedules. Besides, I think some neighboring states can affect crowds as much, if not more, than local districts.

When we lived in AZ and made Disneyland trips during school holidays we always ran into people we knew, sometimes lots of them.

And I swear it seems Utah license plates can outnumber CA plates around DLR during their school breaks. OK, that might be an exaggeration, but there's a definite impact.

As someone else already suggested, if you're trying to gauge potential crowds I think it probably makes more sense to pay attention to when lower level APs are blocked than to school schedules.

Oh, and I know CUSD, SVUSD, IUSD, and TUSD (all So OC districts) started after Labor Day this year. I don't know what their schedules look like for next year, but most districts tend to stick to the same before or after Labor Day schedule from year to year.

We're in LA, not LAUSD, and go back mid-August. The calendars aren't out yet, but our district as well as neighboring districts have moved to the mid-Aug start time over the last 10 or so years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter