When Do Kids Go Back to School in Orange County?

spacemouseneer

Mouseketeer
As the title says it all. When do kids go back to school in the fall in Orange County? Do all LA schools go back the same week? We are thinking of driving down for a quick trip the last week of August and we've never been in the summer at all. Just wanted to get an idea of crowds at that point of the summer.

Thanks,

Spacemouseneer

During what days of the last week of August? The Disneyland Half Marathon is held over Labor Day weekend, so that could definitely cause some crowding issues.

Orange County goes back August 20, but there are so many surrounding counties, la, riverside, San Bernardino, not to mention private schools. Ap blackout days start being lifted at the end of August, so I wouldn't think it's too bad. Definitely better than July!

It looks like much of LAUSD goes back into session on 8/13.

The SoCal AP blockouts end on Monday, 8/18. They still experience weekend (Sat and/or Sun) and holiday blockouts. GIven that 8/24 is the first Sunday that is not blocked out for the SoCal APs, I would expect relatively high crowds as the SoCal AP holders return to the parks for the first time since the summer season blockout began. SoCal Select APs are still blocked on Sat and Sun.

The last weekend in August (Labor Day weekend) (8/29-9/1) is a three-day weekend, plus a marathon, so I would expect the crowds to be quite high at that point. The weekdays (Mon-Thur) will probably be pretty quiet because it's not yet HalloweenTime.

Two large districts in south orange county start school after labor day. Private schools start earlier. Some of the schools in Anaheim & Tustin are year round. August is still fairly busy here. If you can wait until after labor day, it is much quieter then.

Thank everyone for the info. We are thinking of a midweek trip, Tuesday to Thursday August 19 - 21, so I am thinking for summer wise, it should be not too bad. Well bad, but not July bad.

Spacemouseneer

Thank everyone for the info. We are thinking of a midweek trip, Tuesday to Thursday August 19 - 21, so I am thinking for summer wise, it should be not too bad. Well bad, but not July bad.

Spacemouseneer
I have never found July to be "bad" at all. So if you are trying to avoid "July bad" I am not sure what you mean. If you think Aug 19-21 will be significantly less crowded than July I do believe you are mistaken.

:wizard:

I don't know that THAT particular week would be any better than any other days to be honest. A lot of kids don't go back until the last week of August and after Labor Day. I would imagine that it would be busier as the month goes on with people trying to squeeze in a last Disney trip before school begins.

But of course if that is the most doable time for you then go for it. You can't predict weather so that shouldn't be a factor. August may or may not we warmer than July. You just never know. I would just go for the week that best fits your schedule/budget and not worry about when it will be best as it can be very unpredicatable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter