• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When do gates open?

theworldneedscolor

DIS Veteran
How soon before rope drop do the gates open? I'm trying to figure out how early to arrive and when we should leave our hotel (BWPPI).

Also, does the camera open when the gates open, or at rope drop? I don't really want to waste morning park time exchanging our Photopass voucher.

DCA usually opens 30 minutes before park opening. DL varies, but often opens about 10-15 minutes before.

Also, does the camera open when the gates open, or at rope drop? I don't really want to waste morning park time exchanging our Photopass voucher.

My understanding based on another thread about the photoshop is that sometimes it's open at rope drop and sometimes it's not.

I haven't been to rope drop in a while, but I believe it is still around 30 minutes before park opening. The shops on Main Street are open during this time so the camera shop should be too, but from what Imdboss posted, it's a hit or miss.

Kriss pirate:

When we were there last month the Photo Shop didn't open right away. So we were waiting outside waiting for it to open while the early morning crowds (Spring Break) passed by us going to the different areas of the park.

How soon before rope drop do the gates open? I'm trying to figure out how early to arrive and when we should leave our hotel (BWPPI).

It depends on numerous factors and there is no hard and fast rule.

It depends on whether there is an EMH that morning at the park. Also it seems to change a bit with how early the parks open that day. 8AM openings seem less likely to open gates early while 10AM seems more likely. Also, just to be sure you understand, the gates being open does mean you get access to the parks It just means they allow folks into the park early an then hold them until the scheduled opening time. This is to speed the flow if guest entry by pre-checking in guests that arrive early.

IMO you do not want to be messing with Photopass if you come at rope drop. Either find a way to do it the day before - or leave Photopass until a couple hours into your park morning.

:wizard:

We are rope drop diehards. In my experience this past year, if the park opens at 8, then they hold you at the gate until 8. If it opens at 9 or 10, they open the gates 30 minutes early. But I have always headed to the park without EMH or MM so I'm not sure if it differs on those mornings or not.

And I agree with HydroGuy. And then take care of your photopass+.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter