• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When did your DD outgrow Princesses?

Awww. My daughter was 12 when she stopped asking for character visits to be part of the parks visits. But we still go to character meals and she gets a fix that way without feeling immature.

Her love of princesses and characters is now channeled into her art and anime community interests. There is lots of crossover among comics, anime and Disney characters.

My DD is 6 1/2. Before school, when shopping for lunchboxes and such, we went to the Disney store for their sales, plus I had a coupon!! I thought, great, I will save tons of money, maybe I'll even buy her two so if one falls apart she'll have another.

She couldn't decide, I pointed out the Princess one, the Little Mermaid, the Rapunzel.... "Mommy, all of these are so babyish!!! I don't want a princess lunchbox!"

Ugh... it was like a dagger to the heart. 6 years old!!! I thought I had at least a few more years of Princesses. LOL

I think they outgrow it at this age, then love it again when they're older. I'm 38 and I love princesses.

This was a sad day indeed. :(

ETA... I think that she "secretly" still loves them but there's girls at school that say they're babyish, and she is probably falling into that peer pressure. At 6 ugh.
:rotfl:
My dd just turned 8. I brought out the Disney Fairy lunch bag when school started and she just looked at me and said "Mom. No." This is the same kid who believed the shrinking tunnel to meet Tink just a few months ago.;) In fact, I think she still believes that but she won't carry the lunch bag.

My DD is 6 1/2. Before school, when shopping for lunchboxes and such, we went to the Disney store for their sales, plus I had a coupon!! I thought, great, I will save tons of money, maybe I'll even buy her two so if one falls apart she'll have another. She couldn't decide, I pointed out the Princess one, the Little Mermaid, the Rapunzel.... "Mommy, all of these are so babyish!!! I don't want a princess lunchbox!" Ugh... it was like a dagger to the heart. 6 years old!!! I thought I had at least a few more years of Princesses. LOL I think they outgrow it at this age, then love it again when they're older. I'm 38 and I love princesses. This was a sad day indeed. :( ETA... I think that she "secretly" still loves them but there's girls at school that say they're babyish, and she is probably falling into that peer pressure. At 6 ugh.

My 16 year old who is a junior in high school carries around that Ariel lunchbox. She wasn't really into the princesses or meeting characters when she was little, she was scared of them actually, but now that's all she wants to do. So your daughter may grow back into them.

DD was never really too into the Princesses, but she really lost interest after she turned 8. She still liked Tink, and loved the Fab 5, Stitch, and Mike & Sully, but she was done with Princesses.

She is 15 now, and she still secretly likes to give Donald, Goofy, and Mickey hugs at meet & greets, but she avoids Princess-y stuff. I'm OK with that, since those Princesses have looong lines!!

When DD was 6 yo she told me "Princesses are for babies - like 4 year olds" I was heartbroken. She was all princess all the time until then. We still love WDW now that she is 10...but don't see any characters.

9 or so I can handle, but at this point I can't even fathom that my 3 year old may have outgrown the princesses by 5-6???????????

My daughter will be 6 in a few months and doesn't really care for them anymore. She'll still meet them at Disney, but no longer picks out toys or clothes with princesses anymore. It's all about Monster High, Shake it Up, etc..

My youngest who turns 3 this week is currently in love with them! at least I have a few more years of princesses :)

I guess it all depends on the child. Our local Perkins restaurant was having Cinderella, Snow White, and another princess one night. She kept telling me and telling me we had to go! We went and she said, "Those aren't the real princesses. They are just people dressed up. I thought the princesses came up from Florida!" So, she still believes and she is 8.

I did not get a reservation for the older two to get their hair done at BBB and only did the youngest daughter. My older two said, "What do you mean we aren't getting it done??" and so I made them a reservation lol.

Maybe when your daughter said that it looked like it was for babies, maybe she was in a mood that day or maybe she just can't grasp it. It's just like everything else, a lot different in person than on youtube!! Good luck :)

Have you thought about taking her to tea at the Grand Floridian? It would be a lovely mother/daughter afternoon and you could explain to her that it is very special and you felt she was grown up enough to go.

My DD was never into Princesses but has always loved going to tea. We have been going since she was about your DD's age. My DD has always enjoyed real tea, but if yours doesn't they have a special "Mrs. Potts Tea" which is really chocolate milk. :)

My twin sister and I are almost 21 and still love the princesses. Heck, we're having a Princess marathon right now to gear up for our MNSSHP trip next week. My sister is going as Belle and I'm going as Prince Eric.

Maybe grand children are different.

I have a soon to be 8 year old.

when we went for the first time it was before she was turning 5 and she constantly asked about characters being real vs people in costumes. I always had her answer those questions herself--by asking her-- well what do YOU think.

we went through the gates of MK the first day and I read her the sign over the tunnel. As we were walking in I explained that this is disney and it is as magical as we want it to be. We leave the outside at the gate and I turned around and closed the make believe door. Nothing can hurt us know.. because we believe in the magic. We turned around and there was Snow White. And she wispers-- Snow White? she IS real. We visited Miniie and she holds her hands - after wards GD tells her Pop Pop that there was a lady in there because she felt lady fingers in those gloves.. and Pop Pop says thats coz Minnie IS a lady. Fast Forward til age 7 and we go for one day--- and we enter the tunnel and it was her that turned around and closed the imaginary door to the outside world-- that she remembered that truly warmed my heart.

I dont think she will outgrow characters-- and its ok if she does because i know later in life she will come back.

We first went to WDW when "the baby", my DD, was 4 years old. All 4 of my kids loved the place (as do I)

That same DD is now nearly 25 years old, has a Masters Degree & is working on her Ph.D...and she teaches college for a living.

DD loves Disney World, including the princesses. She visits us at least once a year in Florida, and we HAVE to go to Disney World while she's here.

So I guess I would say my DD has never outgrown the princesses, or Disney World.

When I took DD13 in January I wound up buying her a Tinkerbell dress. For real. This is a mature, fairly sophisticated kid that has no problem whatsoever declaring her undying love for all things Disney, including princesses. She's obsessed.

Some kids are into it more than others. Sometimes they just outgrow it, sometimes they get back into it too.

I think the tea idea may be one that works well for you! Have a great trip!

DD just turned 9 two weeks ago.
She still believe that there are real princesses in WDW but of course won't want any of her friends to know that, does'nt want nothing with princess logo on it neither;). In fact she's starting to question the whole logic behind characters, why they don't become old since Cinderella movie existed so many years before:rolleyes1 and such hard-to-answer questions.

She also still believe in Santa, Fairies, etc. :goodvibes
I'll try to keep the magic as long as possible but know that there will be someday when reality hits.:sad1:

ETA... I think that she "secretly" still loves them but there's girls at school that say they're babyish, and she is probably falling into that peer pressure. At 6 ugh.

This makes me sad. :sad1: My little one starts K next August and the thought of peer pressure gives me a headache, let alone the actual act of it. Then again, we've all gone through it at some point in time too, except that when I was growing up it didn't seem to happen until at least middle school.

Let me clarify, it's not that she dislikes the princesses, she just is no longer in that place where getting they are the big deal to her that they once were. She started questioning characters when we went on a DCL cruise. She asked me if the princess were on the ship, who was at Disneyworld visiting those kids?

I'm 22 years old and I still haven't outgrown them. In fact, my mom and I have had lunch at Akershus and will be having it again on our next trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter