When did the hand washing/wiping become mandatory?

DisneyDavid

Earning My Ears
Just got off the 6/24 Double Dip on the Magic and I was wondering when hand wiping went from recommended/optional to mandatory? I'm not opposed to this at all, but it just made me wonder if this was something new or if there had been a recent illness incident?

Before getting on the ship, before entering the buffet or any dining room and before entering the kid's club, a person would be standing at the door handing wipes out to everyone who walked by. It was not an option.

Question to you past cruisers, when did this start?

About two years ago or so there were some outbrakes of the Norwalk virus on board several cruise lines includung Disney. Many passengers and crew were effected and in a couple of cases ships were taken out of service for days to sanatize them The virus is easily passed on by hand but also easily avoidable by increased awareness and hand sanatizing as often as possible.

Disney wants us all to enjoy or cruises and not be quarentined (sp?) in our cabins, which is what they do if you get sick while on the cruise so they have implemented handwashing as you enter any dining rooms to help prevent sickness.

Yes...I seem to remember it being the Norwalk scare and cancelled cruise that started it all.

The wipes were being given out in November '04 when DW and I cruised.

I think they had the wipes at the buffet back in May '03, signs posted in the rooms about hand washing, and at the beginning of the buffet line, and they also had the bathroom doors open at the bathrooms right by the buffet. I can't recall anybody handing them out though, even in May '04. Our last cruise was right after SARS made the news, so that was on everyone's minds. (It was also the week after they caught Scott Peterson...so we saw that on CNN everynight! blah!)

CRSNDSNY said:
Yes...I seem to remember it being the Norwalk scare and cancelled cruise that started it all.

I was the Eastern Magic sailing the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 2002 that was cancelled. I was one who was cancelled!! We did a replacement 4 noghter Dec. 1 of 2002 and on that sailing is where they started the "wipes". Actually on that sailing you couldn't even serve yourself in the buffett....the CMs did the scooping!

We sailed in December 2002 on the Magic, shorly after they canceled the sailing and still managed to get sick with Norwalk. :guilty: I wish the hand wipes had been a bit more mandatory then. DCL was doing all they could to keep the hand to hand contact down, there were no salt and pepper shakers on the tables, no self serve drink stations, there were CM's there to serve you , etc. Still had a great time once the illness passed. :banana:

Out of interest on the same sort of topic, when one visits a hospital ward here in the UK, you have to sanitize your hands prior to entry - is this the same in America?

David

So, I'm curious, are the CM in your face with a wet nap package or what? Do they ask you to, please use this before dining? Just curious. I'd rather be safe than sorry as well. I can't stand it when any of us get sick while on vacation.

taeja71 said:
So, I'm curious, are the CM in your face with a wet nap package or what? Do they ask you to, please use this before dining? Just curious. I'd rather be safe than sorry as well. I can't stand it when any of us get sick while on vacation.

we were just on the 6/18 wonder and the CMs stand at the entrances to each restaurant and buffet and hand you a wipe or have you pull a wipe from the container. (not really in your face - but pretty straight forward as far as getting you to use them). There is also a hand sanitizing station there as well. At first I thought it was kind of strange but after thinking about it I thought how great. This way I knew for sure the kids washed their hands before eating.

On the Eastern PC cruise, DH and I went to Topsiders, used the hand wipes and then they decided to have us go to the other door. We had to use another wipe before entering again. Funny but sure understand it.

Frankly, I thought it was great and missed it when I got home!! Went to the store and touched the handle of the buggy and felt very uneasy.

DisneyDavid,

I hope you appreciated what DCL was doing rather than be annoyed. We have escaped the Norwalk virus since it became so predominent. I must tell you that on two cruises now I have been woken up by next-door-cabins with excessive vomiting in the wee early morning hours. My heart went out to them. An observation though - both parties had young children. My son is 11 now so he spent very little time in the clubs. We also carry the little Purell around with us and use it after touching railings. I'm not a clean freak by any means. However, I take the sanitizing very seriously. I use it before I serve myself and before food goes in my mouth. Think about the handles on things. And, please sneeze into the crook of your arm - not your hands.

I wish people at home used the same common sense. Two weeks after we returned from our trip my son got the Flu! It wasn't from the ship. We think it was from either his return back to school or to daycare. Ahhhhh!!!!

People! Wash your hands!!!! A mouse shouldn't have to tell you to do what your mom's been telling you all these years!!

Kim :)

I'm thrilled to know Disney takes these measures. I'm a bit OCD-ish when it comes to germs on hands. I pack a sanatizing wipe in my kids' lunches but they tend to ignore them and it really upsets me when I clean out their lunch box and see the unused wipe. Good for Disney for making sure everyone sanatizes their hands before eating. :thumbsup2

Just wanted to add that on our recent cruise we were very impressed with the wipes!! It sure made an impression on our dks...so it's NOT just mom trying to get us to wash up before dinner??!! WE were equally impressed at Oceaneer Lab....as kids entered they got a squirt of handSOAP and were sent straight away to the bathroom to wash up. When parents entered we had to use a wipe. There are a lot of keyboards, etc used there so I'm sure this helps with the spread of germs! Anyone know stats on fewer illnesses since starting these practices?

I'm curious to know measures that other cruiselines are taking...anyone cruised another line who could compare??

kshabare said:
DisneyDavid,

People! Wash your hands!!!! A mouse shouldn't have to tell you to do what your mom's been telling you all these years!!

Kim :)

:thumbsup2 :banana: :rotfl: :teeth: :lmao: :rotfl2: :thumbsup2

I LOVED the hand wipe idea last week--by the way, if it was last week we would be getting ready for the Pirate party---I hate post cruise depression.

I saw some people not really use them, just sort of dispose of them, but I think it is a great help, especially at the buffets and kids areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter