When did Sc-Fi get so popular?

I think around 2017 the chef changed or something to that effect and it started getting more attention on blogs, that may have helped its case.

I just wish they would refresh the movies. I have memorized them all by now. I still want the "B" movies - just some different ones. And/or make the reel longer - it always loops before our meal is done.
Yes, I think they removed some clips and cartoons I remember from earlier years. It occurred to me that they might have cut the length of the loop so that people will be more willing to leave when finished eating because “we’ve already seen this!” instead of “wait, what’s coming next?”

We ate lunch at Sci-Fi during our last Disney trip since the place next door was closed for remodeling (don't recall the name of that other place). There weren't a lot of other choices for restaurants in that area of the park other then carry-out type pizza/burger places and we didn't want to walk to the other end of the park just to eat, so we tried Sci-Fi. Were able to get one of the regular tables around the perimeter. Food was very average and it seemed like the inside was old/dated and way past the time for an update. Not sure why it is so popular with some. Those brief movie clips probably won't mean much to anyone under the age of 50 since you would have no idea what TV show/movie they were from. Apparently some really like that place, but it was one-and-done for us.

I wonder how much the introduction of the Dining Plans had on the availability of ADRs at Sci Fi and other now hard to get restaurants. We ate at Sci Fi in the early years and thought it was ok back then but haven't been back in quite some time. Our preference in HS is either Brown Derby or Mama Melrose.

I haven't been to the World since 2017, so I'm trying catch up on what's happened since then. We always included Sci-Fi Dine-In on every trip. We always thought it made a great break for lunch - a burger and a "movie". The theming is great and it's just fun. The burger isn't the best burger ever, but it was always good. But back in 2017 and prior, Sci-Fi was always getting put down for bad food by people who tried other items on the menu and didn't stick with the burger. People also complained about the seating and not being able to talk with their families, completely missing the point that it was a good place to take a break from your family. And they would gripe about the price. Yes it's expensive for a burger, but it's a theme park burger and you get great theming and a show for that price. So my question is - What made everyone wake up and realize that they were wrong and I was right about Sci-Fi? I really wish they hadn't, because now I'm going to have to stress about getting an ADR for it.
This simple answer is - when Star Wars Galaxy Edge brought that many more visitors into Hollywood Studios (HS).

It was always popular and sold out quickly, but Galaxy Edge has made obtaining a reservation downright impossible.

We can all only hope that Toy Story BBQ (Roundup Rodeo) is a destination that helps solve the dining shortage in HS.

I haven't been to the World since 2017, so I'm trying catch up on what's happened since then. We always included Sci-Fi Dine-In on every trip. We always thought it made a great break for lunch - a burger and a "movie". The theming is great and it's just fun. The burger isn't the best burger ever, but it was always good. But back in 2017 and prior, Sci-Fi was always getting put down for bad food by people who tried other items on the menu and didn't stick with the burger. People also complained about the seating and not being able to talk with their families, completely missing the point that it was a good place to take a break from your family. And they would gripe about the price. Yes it's expensive for a burger, but it's a theme park burger and you get great theming and a show for that price. So my question is - What made everyone wake up and realize that they were wrong and I was right about Sci-Fi? I really wish they hadn't, because now I'm going to have to stress about getting an ADR for it.
The times we have gone to Sci Fi we walked up. no adr ........... guess times have changed. The food wasn't that great so never really bothered trying to get a reservation.

We just got back and SciFi was as packed as always. They have definitely shortened the film loops, as it's only about 35 minutes now. While we loved it as always, my burger at Hollywood Brown Derby was much, much better. I had the feature film burger at SciFi which was a pork burger with pulled pork and slaw, good, but a bit dry. BUT, you don't really go for the food! Our sever was incredible, funny and attentive withouth being overbearing. The sounds on the film loop was turned down, which was a little annoying, as I would have liked to hear that over my neighbor's covernsations, but it is what it is. Still love it, and will still go every time we're in HS.

While the food quality varies, the entertainment is awesome!! You have to love the old sci-fi films, and the old commercials...wow!

Agree, but what happened the "The Cat that Hated People" !!? That was our fave !!

We've been going to Sci - Fi since our honeymoon in 2004, so it holds a special place in my heart. I've generally always been able to get an ADR as long as I do it as soon as it's my day to start booking them. (With the exception being in 2020 when Disney reopened). We generally get the burger, which has always been good. I tried a steak one time and it was good as well. Not fine dining good, but still tasty. It's a place that holds sentimental value for us, has entertainment, and we know we can get a good burger.

it's been popular a long time based on the theming, and it doesn't have a huge capacity which might be even further limited right now. The food is eh

It's definitely with the Star Wars and Toy Story areas making the park super popular now. God knows the quality of food went from ok to ghastly. We used to dine there every visit... sometimes twice because our kids liked the atmosphere. Not anymore. The food isn't even passable. We're skipping it entirely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter