• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When did DISboards start? Any old timers out there?

I have been around a while too, but mostly just lurk now! I remember all the crashes and I used to try to email a different person every day. I actually got a reply from Pete once. :goodvibes

Wow Dan, that link is a blast from the past. I always consider that the second group that I've had the chance to enjoy here. So many of those people are gone now or at least no longer moderators.

Sometime in 1999, I was planning my family's first Disney cruise. Dan, I remember that Ipop platform and the big switch. I'm mostly a lurker but know I can always come to The DIS for help and info.

:thumbsup2 Yup add me to the long list of 'old timer's' that lost their post count. I never did really post a whole lot-but chat sure was fun. And I do remember when Pete used to post on most of the threads, when he first move the operation down to Florida, etc, etc.
It is fun to see how the site has grown and expanded into new ventures.
Gretchen

Good heavens, I forgot all about chats! And I think when the boards started, Pete lived in NJ before moving to Fl. Amazing the little things that come back to you! :rotfl:

I organized the first Christmas ornament swap back in 1999, I think (my "real" name is Aimee).

I have a few of those ornaments on my tree!

Aimee, that's funny because every time I take that ornament out I think it was from someone in Michigan! It's a beautiful multi-colored glass ball, very heavy, with a sprig of holly hanging off it, but not traditional Christmas colors, more blues. It was packed in a wooden cylinder thing, wrapped in red cloth. (I only remember that because I pack it away every year in it! lol) Any chance you remember that??

And Karen, isn't it fun to take out those ornaments and remember they came from a total stranger who shared their kindness? I have no idea what I sent but it was fun!

Late '97/early'98 here. It was still just one board. Shortly after, I remember the second board starting and wondering how I would ever have the time to check 2 boards daily!!!!!! I remember reading each and every post.

It was long before PayPal was common and DISers actually sent me checks in the mail to my home address with my real name to contribute to a 2nd anniversary gift for Pete. We were able to contact almost every person on the DIS via email to spread the word about the gift for Pete. A very hard task because there was not a message or email button to click.

Late '97/early'98 here. It was still just one board. Shortly after, I remember the second board starting and wondering how I would ever have the time to check 2 boards daily!!!!!! I remember reading each and every post.

It was long before PayPal was common and DISers actually sent me checks in the mail to my home address with my real name to contribute to a 2nd anniversary gift for Pete. We were able to contact almost every person on the DIS via email to spread the word about the gift for Pete. A very hard task because there was not a message or email button to click.

Very cool! :thumbsup2 What did you get him?

My profile says 2003, though I think I was around when planning our 1st trip just before 9/11. Maybe I lurked for a while.... I've never had to reregister.

I registered in 2001 after being on the AOL Disney boards for a few years. There was a poster named Nic who was a very overbearing member and who like to say "don't get your panties in a twist" all the time. That was the first time I ever heard that saying. After lurking on RAD for a while, a few people started talking about the DIS, so I checked it out and here I am.

The first person I remember noticing here was RobinRS because I was planning my first Universal trip and read mainly those boards.

:wave2:

{{{{{Airhead}}}}!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jumping1: My wicked cool Dis friend from way back!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, everyone! I met Airhead at WDW and she's awesome!!

CJ, Chad's getting married next year! He proposed on Spaceship Earth! He was 17 or 18 when we met with you and Karen; he's 25 now!

PM me!!! I don't want to hijack this thread!

The first person I remember noticing here was RobinRS because I was planning my first Universal trip and read mainly those boards.

Boy, did we have FUN on the USF boards! Remember Barry??? He STILL sends me postcards from every roller coaster he gets on!! :lmao:

I LOVED DISmeets back in those days. My favorite ones were the ones when Dan came into town and we would all get together and just gab and gab at a local restaurant. Dan was the MAN back then, who could miss a 6 foot 7 man with a smile like that? :flower3:

I remember the night Pete called my Mom's house to speak to me. I felt like I had a sitting with the Pope!!! We had the best Mod Meet at his house... I will never forget his house and all the great mods I met that day. Wow, that was when the DIS was the DIS!! :cool1:

I think the first time I was on was back in 1997 after my trip. I had so many questains about DVC. I bought in 1998. I remember these posters
Robt, Pete, Eva, there were so many others that helped me out. I wish I could remember everyone.

We had a meet in June 99, at Prime time 50's. Eva was there but I cannot remember who else.

I also attended a meet in Grapevine Mall. Dan Murphy, Willy was there and many others.
Are any of you still out there?

Tigger

Boy, did we have FUN on the USF boards! Remember Barry??? He STILL sends me postcards from every roller coaster he gets on!! :lmao:

I LOVED DISmeets back in those days. My favorite ones were the ones when Dan came into town and we would all get together and just gab and gab at a local restaurant. Dan was the MAN back then, who could miss a 6 foot 7 man with a smile like that? :flower3:

I remember the night Pete called my Mom's house to speak to me. I felt like I had a sitting with the Pope!!! We had the best Mod Meet at his house... I will never forget his house and all the great mods I met that day. Wow, that was when the DIS was the DIS!! :cool1:

I sure do remember Barry! And Pete was the king! Gee, those days were so much fun. But even though lots have changed, I still love the Dis and the members here.:thumbsup2

Hey Dan, I'm an April 2000'er too.

And I have no idea when I originally joined.

agnes!

I'm another one that has been around since forever! I actually just hit my 10 year anniversary here a couple days ago! I'm pretty sure my official join date was May 31, 2001. I remember the first time I visited these boards, I was only a 17 year old...at the end of my junior year in high school. My first few posts were about a Disney project I was doing, as well as my trip that was coming up in August. I spent most of my time on the Teen board as well as the CB. I still can't believe it was 10 years ago. I've actually been on/off...but no matter what, I always end up coming back!

Edited to add, you can tell by my tags how long I've been here. I haven't played softball since I was in high school. And Passions has been off the air for years now...but I was a huge Passions fan back in the day. I can't remember when the Tag Fairy gave me my tags...but it was a looong time ago!

Very cool! What did you get him?

Oh, my..... I've slept a bit since then..... but I think it was a cell. Possibly a lithograph but I know it was something special that he wanted. He was also completely surprised. I remember seeing pic with his very surprised face and the party was in a DVC grandvilla. :cool1:

I officially joined in 2001, but have been a lurker since 1999. I still have a relatively low post count as I am not quite a talker as some others are! :lmao:

.....Here was a lineup from back then, http://web.archive.org/web/20001020203250/http://www.wdwinfo.com/disteam/index.htm most gone now, various ways and reasons, some nice people, some not.

Earliest I can find on Wayback is May of 2000. http://web.archive.org/web/20000510043404/http://www.wdwinfo.com/....
Someone emailed me indicating these do not work, only linking to current pages. :scratchin

If so, try opening a new, separate window and copy and paste the following url's for a look in the past, good memories.

web.archive.org/web/20001020203250/http://www.wdwinfo.com/disteam/index.htm and

web.archive.org/web/20000510043404/http://www.wdwinfo.com

Always nice seeing oldtimers on threads like these.

I've been around since January 2001. I got a new ID when some "lady" started to stalk me on the boards. I think she has died since then. I even went to a DIS meet in Albany, NY back in June 2001, but I don't see any of those there posting anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter