when did buying points with Disney JUMP in price?

alirwalsh4

Mouseketeer
I guess I haven't been looking to buy directly through Disney recently. But when I called this week I was told points are now closer to $150 when buying into BLT!!! I thought it was closer to $100!! Maybe they never were closer to $100. But when we bought into AK through Disney I think we paid $105ish per point!! Guess I will use timeshare store again!

not when I called two days ago unless the info I was told is wrong? I received prices of $154 i believe for BLT minus something like $6 a point. I was just shocked.

Go to the sticky "DVC Resource Center" at top part of threads page to see history of price increases (although it does not give a history of price incentives just base prices). BLT went to $150 last August. There were gallopping price increases in 2010 and 2011. With BLT essentially sold out, any good price incentives have disappeared. Also, they are preparing you for the price of the Grand Floridian villas. This is a pattern that has existed before. When they want to charge a much higher price for a new resort, what they do first is go through a pattern of continuously raising the price of the previous somewhat comparable resort over a fairly short period of time. Thus, when the new resort is introduced the price put on it can be just a little more than the latest price for the previous comparable resort creating the impression that the new resort does not really cost much more. For example, I suspect we will see GFV offered at about $160 a point and many will believe that is not much of an increase over BLT, now at $155, when in fact most of BLT was sold at a base price of $120 per point or less.

Ok, Tunseeker1, out with it. Are you sure you're not a DVC salesperson? ;)

:rotfl2: That's what popped in my head too! (although I did agree with their take on small add-ons with Disney being comparable in price to resales)

:rotfl2: I feel like a salesman dvc when im at work!

I just saw a resale for $15 MORE then direct plus paying closing:teacher:

In 2009 and 2010, DVD had a significant oversupply problem.
They received a lot of points back from foreclosures.
In addition, they added 4 new properties with 13-15 million points (Kidani, BLT, THV, and VGC).
On top of that, DVD had to finance their own mortgages.

Today, DVD is no longer dealing with such a supply problem.

FWIW, I believe the last time BLT was under $100 (with incentives) was during the 2010 black Friday promotion at Doorway to Dreams. Prices for BLT have risen rapidly since the spring of 2011.

In 2009 and 2010, DVD had a significant oversupply problem.
They received a lot of points back from foreclosures.
In addition, they added 4 new properties with 13-15 million points (Kidani, BLT, THV, and VGC).
On top of that, DVD had to finance their own mortgages.

Today, DVD is no longer dealing with such a supply problem.

FWIW, I believe the last time BLT was under $100 (with incentives) was during the 2010 black Friday promotion at Doorway to Dreams. Prices for BLT have risen rapidly since the spring of 2011.

And THAT is why we bought our BLT contract resale for $95.

Yup, we were wanting to add on to BLT this past November but after we learned that they were going for $150 p/p, we decided to see what other resorts were going for. This is why we are proud owners at SSR as well :goodvibes. Couldn't resist the $99 p/p. BTW, we couldn't be happier that we bought there....we loved our stay in January :thumbsup2.

I guess I haven't been looking to buy directly through Disney recently. But when I called this week I was told points are now closer to $150 when buying into BLT!!! I thought it was closer to $100!! Maybe they never were closer to $100. But when we bought into AK through Disney I think we paid $105ish per point!! Guess I will use timeshare store again!

DVD's BLT prices are typical for their marketing plan. They announce that they are sold out of a property, then bump the price. Newbies who don't know any better are willing to pay premium prices for a resort that is almost sold out.

:earsboy: Bill

My theory is that they did it to increase the resales prices (and keep out people like me!)

My theory is that they did it to increase the resales prices (and keep out people like me!)

Why would Disney care about resale prices? It's not like they get a piece of the action, those contracts were already sold by Disney.

IMHO, I think the price increase we are seeing, especially at the BLT (direct), is possibly due to several reasons, including the soon to be release of the GF, whose price point is rumored to be the highest ever seen. I think Disney is trying to close the price gap somewhat so it's not such a huge sticker shock. It's a great selling point, "but for only $20-30 more per point you could own at the GF!" It's tougher to convince people when it moves into the $40 + per point range. (I know there are some who will buy into the GF at any price but the masses will need some convincing).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter