When can you request new bedding?

While in college I worked at a "5" star hotel. Sheets were changed between each guest, but the blankets and bedspreads were very seldom washed. They are done quarterly. Just a little side note, bedbugs do not live in the sheets, but in the headboards. I was quite surprised to see the exterminators removing the headboards from the wall when trying to get the problem under control where I worked. I had just assumed they lived in the bedding.

I worked in hotels for years. At most hotels:

1. The comforters are only washed about once a month (if that).

2. If you request a new comforter, you will not necessarily get one that has been freshly washed.

3. Very few hotels change the sheets during your stay. Unless there is an obvious mess, you should never expect that the sheets are changed while you're there.

4. At least the comforters get washed about once a month. The CARPET only gets cleaned about once every two years!

5. NEVER NEVER NEVER use the jacuzzi jet bathtub at a hotel. They're not cleaned and you wouldn't believe what will suddenly shoot out at you!

After my hotel experience, I used to bring Lysol and spray and wipe everything in the room down (remote control, phone, light switches, etc..). After two trips (one Disney, one in Oregon) where I got sick anyway, I gave up.

Now I sit on the comforter without worry. I will walk barefoot on the carpet if necessary. And I sleep with the comforter ON (although not over my head). I'm probably in more danger being crammed in to a small space on the monorail with a bunch of germ-riddled* kids.

I still skip the jacuzzi bathtub!

* A line from "Dilbert" that I loved.

(getting a visual of "what" could be shooting out of those jacuzzi nozzles.... :eek: )

I have a question for all you "comforter discarders" (and I'm right there with you!):

Would you feel differently if the comforter was solid white? :scratchin

When we stayed at the Dolphin (they have the heavenly beds, which were fantastic), our comforter was actually a duvet and cover. Now I don't know if they change the duvet cover any more regularly than a regular comforter, but because it was solid white, it at least looked and felt more clean to me than a regular hotel comforter and I actually allowed it to stay on the bed and, yes, even sat on it often! :rolleyes1

I noticed in the pics of the updated room at the Boardwalk Inn, that they now also feature solid white bedding (can't tell if its a duvet and cover or just a white comforter)..... so, would you feel differently in that situation???

I'm still trying do decide....

Here's a pic of the bedding in question: :)

bwi75.jpg

While there in September my son had a coughing fit and "spit up" a little on his sheets. Two hours later he wet the bed. (something he does not do often) I called Mousekeeping in the morning, told them the situation and asked that all the bedding be removed. They didn't sound really happy but did change everything. I checked. The next day though they didn't even enter our room! Some sort of language barrier I think. They were early cleaning because we came back for naps and I think with the extra instructions they got confused.:confused3

at least if the duvet/comforter were white, you could see the dirt or stains more easily (compared to the "busier" prints on other comforters)

You guys get grossed by sheets, I get grossed out by Pillows! I HAVE to bring my own pillow with me everywhere. A little bit of random hair doesn't bother me so much as potentially resting my face in old, dried saliva :shudder:

drew2wdw said:
I have a question for all you "comforter discarders" (and I'm right there with you!):

Would you feel differently if the comforter was solid white? :scratch chin:
Sure. I was recently in an even clearer situation than you (literally). The "bedspread" was about equivalent to a thick cotton sheet - one layer, EASILY washed, just as easily removed from the bedding if I felt the least bit skeevy

Sure. I was recently in an even clearer situation than you (literally). The "bedspread" was about equivalent to a thick cotton sheet - one layer, EASILY washed, just as easily removed from the bedding if I felt the least bit skeevy

This is the European style of bedding and I love it. We use it at home and wash the sheets and duvet cover each week.

It is easy enough to find duvet covers but many are the kind you cannot wash at home but instead require dry cleaning. With 2 cats that love to sleep on our bed, we have to wash weekly.

I just became a DVC member and I was planning on bringing down my own bedding and storing it in an Owner's Locker. This is for both sanitary and emotional reasons. I love snuggling under a fluffy goosedown duvet and I would also know it is clean and only has my cooties on it.

You guys get grossed by sheets, I get grossed out by Pillows! I HAVE to bring my own pillow with me everywhere. A little bit of random hair doesn't bother me so much as potentially resting my face in old, dried saliva :shudder:

I always bring, at least, my own pillowcase, usually pillows. When my daughter was little I thought about her head being on a pillow that had been covered by the bedspread which had previously covered a pillow used by who knows who! If the sheets/pillowcases are covered with a dirty bedspread they're not clean anymore in my book. Lysol is a necessity-wipes and spray! For me it's more about the yuk- factor than the catch- a- cold- factor.:scared1:

Just read all 4 pages. YUCK is all I have to say.
We always remove the comforter, and I wash the blankets before we go to bed our first day. I often wonder, if we called for new bedspread would it be clean or taken off the empty bed down the hall. It is really gross and there is no way to tell if it is new.
My DH thinks I am super crazy that I would freeze before I use the bedspread.

I agree with the pps who said to wipe things down (like remotes, door handles, phones, toilet handles). We ALWAYS do this. I pring Clorox/Lysol wipes and make sure it's one of the first things I do in ANY hotel. It's VERY important to do that!:thumbsup2

I don't think a pillow case is enough to keep the cooties away. Drool goes through a pillow case and directly onto the pillow!!! I wouldn't think a pillow is ever washed...perhaps tossed, but never washed!

I haven't seen (unless I missed it) anyone mention the mattress pad/cover. Same as with the pillow cases...everything goes right thru the sheets and straight onto the mattress pad! I have seen stained mattress pads right thru the sheets before. It was gross and the only thing b/t me and a gross stain would have been the "thin" sheet. So...When having fresh sheets put on....I always make sure I get a fresh mattress pad too!!!!!

I personally think you're all nuts!:banana:
I too, from time to time will not use the comforter.
That seems pretty much the norm.
But the sheets and pillowcases are always clean and if not, then Disney WILL fix that problem.
You aint gonna "get anything" or its not like you're sleeping in filth.
Just goto bed and get some good sleep. Guess what, In the morning you'll all wake up and have a great day!
I dont even wipe down my remote!!!:lmao: and holy moly...im still here!
Its getting to the point that some of you might as well just bring your own bed and be done with it.
Next time i visit Disney; I'll try living in a bubble.
But....Different strokes for different folks i guess...

But the sheets and pillowcases are always clean and if not, then Disney WILL fix that problem.
Just goto bed and get some good sleep. Guess what, In the morning you'll all wake up and have a great day!
Its getting to the point that some of you might as well just bring your own bed and be done with it.

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:
You're right...."Housekeeping...ah, can you please remove the bed so mine will fit in the room?"
I have to not think about it or I can go nuts over the germs and cooties...
but there have been a few times.......oooooweeee gross gross gross stuff :scared1:

(getting a visual of "what" could be shooting out of those jacuzzi nozzles.... :eek: )

To be honest, I've used the jacuzzi tubs in the DVC units a few times, and nothing except water has come out of the jets. But I do run it through with a cycle of hot water and dishwasher soap powder, rinse, and then run strong bleach water through another cycle and rinse. Even during the cleaning runs, I've never seen anything but water. It's easy enough to do these while I'm unpacking and getting settled, and I feel much better about using the tub.

It would be nice if they had some sort of card you could lay on the bed to indicate to housekeeping that you want the bed stripped and changed, since the language barrier can be hard to overcome at times. We had that same problem with our office cleaners once. They kept skipping the vacuuming portion of the cleaning process and we finally drew a picture of a vacuum with an arrow pointing at the floor and held it up when they came in - it worked. It's not just that they can't understand you want the bed changed, but they don't understand why - which is how you get more used blankets and comforters on the beds.

If you like the idea of taking your own sheets, be sure to get some that are a bright color, not white or beige or something the hotel could possibly mistake as their own.

Next time i visit Disney; I'll try living in a bubble.
But....Different strokes for different folks i guess...

I like to be a little nutz, it keeps things interesting.
I don't live in a bubble, my own little world perhaps but definitely not a bubble:lmao:
I don't like the idea of laying my head or my children laying their heads on anything that the night before may have had someone changing a diaper on, someones naked behind on or even worse... bodily fluids. The idea makes me:sick: The world is a germy place and if I can scrub down my own home with germ fighting stuff and cleaners then I should have no issues about cleaning our "home" while away to remove germs and other "contaminants":thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter