• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When are the ships' Horns played?

tigerchic89

Mouseketeer
Tell me about the songs that the horns play. I know you can hear most of the at sail away. And I think some ships play a bunch of songs when you leave CC. I head a rumor that the horns are played at noon ?em sea days?. On my last Wonder cruise, I went up to listen around noon but I must have missed them. I love the songs playing from the horns and want to catch them as much as possible.

Tell me about the songs that the horns play. I know you can hear most of the at sail away. And I think some ships play a bunch of songs when you leave CC. I head a rumor that the horns are played at noon ?em sea days?. On my last Wonder cruise, I went up to listen around noon but I must have missed them. I love the songs playing from the horns and want to catch them as much as possible.
At sailaway, and at noon at sea. On the Fantasy, the noontime horn played all songs.

The Wonder (and Magic) only have one song. They are real horns. The "horns" on the Dream class are digital, so more possibilities for songs.

traditionally a ship at sea sounds its horn at noon ...... a signal to the crew that a new day has begun .....

becuz a DAY at sea was determined by the zenith of the sun .... when it reached the highest point in the sky.

'shooting the sun' established noon .... AND latitude .......

if you watch certain movies of the 'era' you'll see the master say "make it noon"

even as last as when I was a sitting Captain at sea, the watch came to me each day at sea and asked to "ring noon"

Last edited:
The exception is in Alaska, where the horns are not sounded daily due to noise restrictions....I remember hearing it in Vancouver on sail away, but not otherwise....

The reliable time is during sail away. On our last Fantasy cruise out of PC, seemed like the ship went through the entire repertoire on the way out.

Other times have been reported over the years, such as at CC, in port at some port calls. Once two DCL ships came close at CC and reports are they played "dueling horns" for a while. While we were on our Panama Canal cruise the "when you wish" was played as we sailed under the Bridge of the Americas.

So, listen for it at sail away, then hope for pixie dust elsewhere!

Every sea day at noon the horn was played on the 7/21 Dover to Barcelona. It was suppose to correspond with a report from the bridge, but that only occurred once

Once two DCL ships came close at CC and reports are they played "dueling horns" for a while.

So, listen for it at sail away, then hope for pixie dust elsewhere!
Thanksgiving Magic 2005, they played dueling horns. It was incredible. Wished I'd had my camcorder with us then.:sad1:

Every sea day at noon the horn was played on the 7/21 Dover to Barcelona. It was suppose to correspond with a report from the bridge, but that only occurred once
They only play the hon when they are at sea after the report from the bridge. If they are in port they don't sound the horn.

When we left Vancouver on July 10th, they played the horn as we pulled away, then again as we went under the bridge (which was so fun -- there were bikers who stopped and waved to all of us!).

We were on a Princess cruise last week and as we sailed past another Princess ship they tried to do the dueling fog horn thing. Both ships lost -- Just wasn't the same as when the Disney ships compete with each other.

Last edited:
On my recent cruise on the Fantasy, they sounded all of the horns at sail away from Port Canaveral, after they docked at each port in the morning, and as they sailed away from each port. I don't recall hearing them on sea days, but I was probably inside the ship somewhere at noon each day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter