When are most people cancelling rooms?

I just went through this in October. I needed 4 points to add to my 9 (current use year) to stay at AKV. There was only a Standard view available at the time but I really wanted a Savannah. I went ahead and paid for the 4 points ($60) and reserved the Standard. Fast forward a few days later and a Savannah view came open and I called to "rent" from Disney the extra 4 points or so and they said "no way". I tried to rent four points from the boards here and for most that's not a good transaction. I never got my 4 points.

Ugh, not sounding great for buying the extra 18 if the waitlist does not come through. If I also cannot buy them in my 2013 year (assuming they sold me the last 4 in my 2012 year) then I'll probably do a transfer of 50 or so from another member. Might as well have a few extra for the next trip if I need them. I just need to look up those borrowing/banking rules as I won't be going again until late 2014.

Ugh, not sounding great for buying the extra 18 if the waitlist does not come through. If I also cannot buy them in my 2013 year (assuming they sold me the last 4 in my 2012 year) then I'll probably do a transfer of 50 or so from another member. Might as well have a few extra for the next trip if I need them. I just need to look up those borrowing/banking rules as I won't be going again until late 2014.

Borrowed points can be banked, so if you get pretty much anything that has a 2013 UY you would be able to bank them for a 2014 trip. The whole transfer thing sort of confused me, but I actually just did one and already used the points but at least now I see how it works. FYI, if you do this type of transaction the points won't show up online, you have to call MS to bank or use them. The hardest part is finding somebody who is willing to transfer the amount you're looking for. Since you can only do one transfer a year, people looking to rent or transfer points like to rent ALL their points. I needed 150, for example, and ended up renting 275. It wasn't a huge deal because I just used all the rented points for our trip and didn't have to touch my 2014. I also was renting for a specific resort specifically for the 11 month window so I didn't have any flexibility; not sure when your trip is, but if it's inside 7 months you should have more options.

Otherwise it's a fairly painless way to get the extra points you need.

Good luck.

Borrowed points can be banked, so if you get pretty much anything that has a 2013 UY you would be able to bank them for a 2014 trip. The whole transfer thing sort of confused me, but I actually just did one and already used the points but at least now I see how it works. FYI, if you do this type of transaction the points won't show up online, you have to call MS to bank or use them. The hardest part is finding somebody who is willing to transfer the amount you're looking for. Since you can only do one transfer a year, people looking to rent or transfer points like to rent ALL their points. I needed 150, for example, and ended up renting 275. It wasn't a huge deal because I just used all the rented points for our trip and didn't have to touch my 2014. I also was renting for a specific resort specifically for the 11 month window so I didn't have any flexibility; not sure when your trip is, but if it's inside 7 months you should have more options.

Otherwise it's a fairly painless way to get the extra points you need.

Good luck.
I think you mean transferred points can be banked but not borrowed.

I've been checking daily for the room online. Today, January 1 at 2pm est, I punched in the date and VOILA! It was available. I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought I'd chosen something wrong. But it was there and I borrowed the last of my points to book it.

I guess one answer to this original question is: people cancel after christmas, when they realize they've spent too much, or didn't get the christmas bonus they thought they would (or maybe got a great bonus and upgraded).

I have two questions:

1) Do I need to call MS to have them link them? Is there any chance I'll have to move rooms?

2) Do I need to cancel my waitlist or did it automatically cancel when I booked the room? I have no more points left anyway.

Thanks. So relieved this came through. I didn't want to have to deal with trying to buy more points to upgrade to lake view for the whole 4 nights.

AllieV said:
I've been checking daily for the room online. Today, January 1 at 2pm est, I punched in the date and VOILA! It was available. I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought I'd chosen something wrong. But it was there and I borrowed the last of my points to book it.

I guess one answer to this original question is: people cancel after christmas, when they realize they've spent too much, or didn't get the christmas bonus they thought they would (or maybe got a great bonus and upgraded).

I have two questions:

1) Do I need to call MS to have them link them? Is there any chance I'll have to move rooms?

2) Do I need to cancel my waitlist or did it automatically cancel when I booked the room? I have no more points left anyway.

Thanks. So relieved this came through. I didn't want to have to deal with trying to buy more points to upgrade to lake view for the whole 4 nights.

I'd give MS a call and they should combine them to one resize since same room type. That's what happened for me last year. And I would cancel the waitlist. It doesn't auto cancel

Congratulations!!!

I sent an email to MS asking them to link my two reservations. I got an email today that they did so and cancelled my waitlist. There are still two separate reservations for BLT, but so long as we don't have to switch rooms, it's ok.

Just a note on cancellation: after I booked the room on 1/1, I went back and checked and none were available, so it was the only one cancelled (I assume). Same the next day on 1/2. Then today 1/3 I checked and there's another 1-br standard view available from thur-sat at the end of april. So it looks there are more cancellations going on now in this 3-4 month window (or upgrades, or moves).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter