When and How to Book Airfare for 10

tiffany123

Mouseketeer
Here's the scenario: Taking family of 10 to WDW next June 24th for 1 week stay. Family consists of 5 adults and 5 children between ages of 6 and 3.
Flying from Columbus to Orlando. Would like non-stop flight. Current lowest prices for ANY flight are around $275 pp. More than twice what we've paid in the past. Should I book now or wait it out? Also web sites won't permit me to make 10 reservations at one time-----we all need to be on the same flight. How much risk if I book 6 on the first entry and then go directly back into the system and book the remaining 4? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has.

Personally, I think its better to split it up. As different classes of airfare sell the price goes up.

Ex. Last year 2 of us were flying Jetblue. Jetblue holds 10seats at $49, then when those are sold, it goes to $59, and so on. When I punched in 1 passenger it was $49, when I looked for two tickets it was $59 each. Because they only had one left for $49, and we needed two. You automatically pay the higher price.

I would call them and see how many tickets they have left at that certain class of tickets. If they have 8, book those, and then book 2. You can put in your own seat assignment so you are all together.

Good luck :earsgirl:

$275 for a non-stop is not too bad. I am guessing that this flight would be Delta but actually flown by Chautauqua if it's a non-stop Columbus to Orlando flight. If this is an affordable fare for your group, then hop on it; I do not expect things to get much cheaper. If they do, then you can kick yourself later, but there are no guarantees that you will get anything any cheaper (maybe Southwest at some point, but I expect that would be less convenient).

As for a booking strategy, if it would be possible to have another of your party reserve 4 while you reserve 6, coordinated on the phone. Either that or call Delta (or whichever airline you choose) directly and arrange this, which just might be your best and safest option.

edited to add: It looks like a pretty small plane going from CMH to MCO and back. I'd recommend getting these tickets bought immediately or there might not be enough seats on the plane available for your party. They may not be willing to sell tix for a party of 10 anyway, so perhaps better to split the order up into family units (all on the same plane of course, just separate orders and itinerary numbers).

Good luck!

I've never flown from Columbus. I know at our airport (BUffalo NY) that is an awfully high rate for 1 way non-stop. I typically pay an average of $99 per person, non-stop, 1 way. I have gotten those exceptional deals at $49 a pp in the past, but that isn't typical. I think this far out, you are more hard pressed to find better deals yet.

If you definitely have 10 people you may be able to get a group rate from the airline. Call the airline of choice and ask for their group department. They can help you.

Be careful with group rates. This far out they may seem a deal, but you might do better with sale fares later on. Technically you are a group by most airline standards and they want you to book through the groups department. If you do it online, you will need to split in to smaller numbers.

kilee said:
I've never flown from Columbus. I know at our airport (BUffalo NY) that is an awfully high rate for 1 way non-stop. I typically pay an average of $99 per person, non-stop, 1 way. I have gotten those exceptional deals at $49 a pp in the past, but that isn't typical. I think this far out, you are more hard pressed to find better deals yet.

Remember, there is a LOT of competition on routes from the NE to Florida and airfare on those routes are a LOT lower than they are from the Midwest to Florida, where there is not as much competition.

I would say in light of the condition of most airlines, if you can get $200 per person roundtrip non-stop, I'd say you're doing exceptionally. Anything under that you got a super-duper incredible deal. And $275 per person may be a realistic airfare.

Just set a price where you will be happy (say $200 pp) and book when prices get there. Prices could go lower than that after you book, but mostly likely prices will go up! If you book on Southwest, you can get a credit if prices go down; on other airlines their change fees will most likely eat up anything you'd save if prices go down.

Thanks to those of you who posted with suggestions. I decided to bite the bullet and make our flight reservations today. I was able to book all 10 of us though my home PC, logging in 3 different times to make the reservations. (2 of our granddaughters needed only 1 way tickets). The prices were higher than I had hoped for but I got the exact flights I wanted and now the stress of checking everyday is over. We have the tickets bought through Ticketmania, a grand villa at OKW confirmed and our airline tickets purchased. Now all we have to do is pay off the credit card when it comes next month, enjoy the extra Disney Reward dollars and wait until the trip "home" next June. Thanks again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter