When Americans are requierd to have passports will they have to?

matsterrocks

DIS Veteran
When Americans are required to have passports for the Wonder do you think they are going to make them surrender them like us non-US guys? If so are we going to have to start getting up at 4am to get our pasports back :guilty:

I traveled with a passport and never had to surrender it. I doubt they would require that.

I doubt it too. I travel with a passport because its easier. I've never surrendered it, not even on a Med cruise - just kept it in the safe.

matsterrocks said:
When Americans are required to have passports for the Wonder do you think they are going to make them surrender them like us non-US guys? If so are we going to have to start getting up at 4am to get our pasports back :guilty:

I guess that is one thing that we will find out next January. :confused3

The requirement to have a passport is actually a US law. You will need it to get back into the US, not into the Caribbean countries. Therefore, Disney would have no reason to take the passports from you.

No they will not have to surrender them, we all travel with our passport, I am the only one without a US passport, and they only keep mine, when we check in they give us back the other 3.
The passport is not changing the immigration issues, just the proof of citizenship required to get in and out of the country.

I really do not know why they keep our UK passports we do not have to surrender then anywhere else and it is a nuisance if you wish to change travellers cheques etc.

Hope they do rethink it for all passengers in the future as just hated that last morning and it is the only thing that prevents me wanting to cruise Disney again.

please explain what happens to the UK peoples passports and why if they do keep them we will have to be up at 4am. I will NOT be doing this, :furious: even if its a requirement, Im on holiday and its unacceptable to me and my family. After all they know were we are, and if they cant give them back on *** at a civil time,like at breakfast, then they can deliver them to my room. we are in no hurry to get off the boat, so i will not be doing any crazy things like this... thanks rant over :teeth:

Lindy Loo said:
please explain what happens to the UK peoples passports and why if they do keep them we will have to be up at 4am. I will NOT be doing this, :furious: even if its a requirement, Im on holiday and its unacceptable to me and my family. After all they know were we are, and if they cant give them back on *** at a civil time,like at breakfast, then they can deliver them to my room. we are in no hurry to get off the boat, so i will not be doing any crazy things like this... thanks rant over :teeth:

Ok here goes...Upon check-in you must surrender your passport...YOU clear customs on St. THomas at approximately 6:30 am, because you have LEFT the US, and are returning...This is required by law..NO choice about it. ANd every passenger that is a NON us citizen must present themselves. Disney does make this as painless as they can. Once again upon return at the Port, you must do this again...It is not a choice, it is a MUST...NO one gets off the boat until all non us passengers do it..4am is an exxageration, but 6 is not...

BTW, if you go on an Eastern, it has the St. Thomas port, but not a western....

I agree it is a small pain in the butt, but not so bad....Hey, you are on a DCL.. :goodvibes

Quite agree with last posting it is unacceptable and I felt so sorry for people with small children, still asleep trying to climb on the stage in the theatre to retrieve their passports.

Not satisfactory at all and about time user friendly Disney changed in line with other cruises.

Well my alarm clock for one will NOT be going off before 6am.

So they can go through all the other crazy idiot prepared to do this, and then get to us. Sorry if this sounds rude, however its not acceptable, and total unnecessary, as other cruise liners do not do this, in this way. :rolleyes2

Why the rush????

Why not do it the night before?

Surely if people objected, then it would be changed or modified to be much more managable. This will leave a nasty taste in my mouth for a Disney cruise.Husband already saying switch cruise for oct 2007 when we have booked Magic for a 7 nighter. :sad2:

Lindy Loo said:

So they can go through all the other crazy idiot prepared to do this, and then get to us. Sorry if this sounds rude, however its not acceptable, and total unnecessary, as other cruise liners do not do this, in this way. :rolleyes2

Why the rush????

Why not do it the night before?

Surely if people objected, then it would be changed or modified to be much more managable. This will leave a nasty taste in my mouth for a Disney cruise.Husband already saying switch cruise for oct 2007 when we have booked Magic for a 7 nighter. :sad2:

Well for one thing, CUSTOMS has to get on the ship, and you only arrive in the AM...THey get on to do the procedure...So, impossible to do at nighttime...

I don't mean to take light what you say, rather I completely understand it, On another note, ALL non us passengers must do this before they have the US passengers do it..Any waiting on your part, may possibly delay the other people, and some have flights to catch, etch..YOu will also be page by name, room number, and if you don't respond, they will come to your room....

I do know it is not fun, believe me, but it is not THAT bad... :goodvibes

Being Canadian we also had to surrender our passport at check in.

The only problem that I have is that you must have a form of picture i.d. to get back on the boat while docked. What if that was your only form of picture I.D. that you brought from home? I'm not sure what happens in that case.

Anyway, We were just on the February 11th Magic cruise and we had to
be in the theatre by 6 a.m. sleeping children and all. You don't have to bring your luggage - thank goodness! Until every non-us citizen is cleared no one leaves the ship, our ship was cleared by 7:30 a.m.

Disneymum

Lindy Loo said:

I cannot explain or defend the particular U.S. Immigration policies at Charlotte Amalie (St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands) or Port Canaveral (Florida), or why non-U.S. passports must be surrendered at boarding.

However...

Everyone is expected to follow the applicable U.S. Immigration policies. The failure of even a single passenger to present himself or herself in St. Thomas can prevent the ship from being cleared, which can mean that nobody is allowed off the ship until the situation is resolved.

I'm not saying the processes are good or bad, or right or wrong — but they are what they are.

If you honestly plan to defy the orders from U.S. Immigration, then please allow me to respectfully suggest that you cancel your Disney cruise. You would be doing yourself and your fellow passengers a big favor. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to be mean.

And if you're aware of another cruise line with superior passport control processes at the same ports, under the same circumstances, then please post the information here, and please share it with Disney Cruise Line management. I'm sure DCL wants to be as passenger-friendly as possible, but DCL also has to comply with U.S. law and port processes.

disney Mum. what did you do for other photo id when getting off the boat at docks? We only have our passports, and if this is taken by customs, then im not sure what we would do either? is a photo copy of the passport accepted at the docks? Our Driving licences were obtained over 5 yrs ago now, s does not have photo id on it.
We werent told about this ID when booking will have to ask TA. Does this include kids, as our dd who will be just 4 then only has passport, no other id at all.The passport picture is her when she was 12 weeks old and in my opinion could be any baby!!! Lol

As for you suggesting we should not go on the disney cruise. This is what my husband is now saying. After reading these threads more, and the quality of food being poor, and loungers not availabe with out a fight, he thinks its a big waste of $s. I still want to go, but can see this as a major stress for him and our daughter.Which is why I thought to keep the peace I could just go on behalf of all the family. How long does it take, and can we go back to room for shower etc after. can we put dd in a stroller, still asleep?

I really want to get this sorted, as DH is now really cross with me for booking without checking this out !! I really didnt think Disney or the US customs would be so unfair with the timings.

Lindy Loo said:
As for you suggesting we should not go on the disney cruise. This is what my husband is now saying. After reading these threads more, and the quality of food being poor, and loungers not availabe with out a fight, he thinks its a big waste of $s.
Lindy Loo,

Please understand that I wasn't suggesting that you should not go on a Disney cruise — I was only suggesting that you might want to cancel if you are seriously planning to defy the U.S. Immigration and Customs officers.

Regarding your point about "the quality of food being poor," I have high standards when it comes to dining, and I thought the quality, preparation, presentation, and service in the dining rooms was very good — and it's gotten better on each of our three Disney cruises. Disney tries to cater to all tastes, but some people on this board complain the the food is too fancy, while others complain that it's not adventurous enough. The food tends not to be spicy or heavily seasoned, and thus some might feel that Disney is trying too hard to be inoffensive, while others think it's great the way it is.
I hope you enjoy your cruise.

We just got off the 4 day Wonder cruise and Jaque (I think the activities director?) did a presentation, it was aired over and over again on the tv that entire day. She said presenting themselves that early was not DCL but immigration, she apologized quite a few times about people having to present themselves so early. She said they had no control over it. If other ships do it at a different time, maybe the time is already designated what ship can do it when and maybe since the other cruise lines might be more established on a route, maybe they had the 'better choice'. I'm just throwing that out, I know I would be frustrated getting my kids out of bed so early in the morning, but if it's not Disney's fault, hard to blame them. I thought any child/youth under 18 did not have to have a photo id, just anyone 18 and over.

Good Luck!

When we were on Royal Caribbean - Adventure of the Seas a couple of years ago we had to go up and present ourselves at 6:00 am in the dining room to get cleared. Our DD's were 3 and 6 at the time and we survived and were not that inconvenienced by it either.

Hi Lindy Loo

My DH and I both brought our driver's license which have our pictures on it. So, we were o.k. I would contact Disney Cruise Line directly and find out about taking the photocopy of your passport for proof on and off the ship. As for the kids no need for photo id just there Key to the World Card which you receive upon check in at the ship.

Unfortunately you all have to be present at immigration on your last morning, we made sure that we had a wake up call were the third ones in line and as soon as we were done we came back to the room showered, changed and went for breakfast. We just carried my DS 4 as you have to go up on the stage to receive your passport from the customs agents in the Walt Disney Theatre. But, because we were so early we were in and out in 15 minutes so no worries! :)

Your going to have a great time and just remember your on vacation. Yes the deck chairs get taken up quite fast, but when your running around after a 4 year old you don't have much time to sit any how. If your DD goes to the kids club then you and your DH can enjoy the adult only pool there's always chairs there available.

As for food if you want it a little spicer or you want a salad or rice instead of fries or vegetables. Tell your waiter. The night that we were in Key West, I thought that we should have Key Lime pie and told my waiter he brought my my table mates and I, key lime pie the next night for dinner.

Enjoy your vacation.
Disneymum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter