• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheeled carryon luggage

TheIncredibles!

Winner (?) of the Crazy MIL Award
We have booked a 25th anniversary vacation. Non Disney... we are going on a planes, trains and automobile type vacation going through or visiting 14 states. I need a really good travel piece that can also double as some walking support. I have lingering neuropathy(CIPN) in my toes and during long walks I have to be careful as I can stumble easily. I’ll be off balance a bit with my purse and a backpack so I want a really easy rolling suitcase that is also sturdy that I can get some balance and support from. Suggestions?

It's rather inexpensive, but I've got a Ricardo Beverly Hills hard side carry on. I've had it for about 7 years and although it's been scratched up quite a bit it's still solid and dependable. I've used it as a chair on public transportation and to steady myself.

However that one has four wheels. If you need to steady yourself, then maybe a two wheeler might be better.

567987 Me & DH each have one of these. TPRC 15 inch Carry on. It's awesome. It can fit a week's worth of clothing and more. It's super light, barely takes any room in the overhead storage, and there's no struggle with overhead storage vs. others struggling with their bigger carry-ons putting it up in the overhead storage and taking it down. You can wheel it (2 wheels) or hand carry it. It doesn't have the support unfortunately. Yet it truly changed how we travel and I was even able to ditch my extra backpack that I use to carry-on.

I’ll be off balance a bit with my purse and a backpack so I want a really easy rolling suitcase that is also sturdy that I can get some balance and support from. Suggestions?
If you get a backpack that slips over the bar of a wheeled bag would that help your balance? As opposed to carrying the backpack on your back.
Your best bet would be to "test drive" some wheeled bags and see what works. I had a 4 wheeled spinner that I loved but when I'd slide a bag over the handles it would sometimes overbalance and fall over (annoying and definitely NOT what you want!).
Right now I have a hard sided carry on spinner from Monos that I haven't travelled with yet (I opted for hard sided so that I could easily spray/ wipe it down). But I also have a 2 wheeled carry on from Briggs and Riley that is fantastic and very stable, might work well for your needs.
Mind you I did a lot of business travel pre covid, these bags are on the pricier side. But the B&R shows no signs of wear, has gone everywhere (including getting checked) and the wheels are great. Plus a lifetime warranty.

We have booked a 25th anniversary vacation. Non Disney... we are going on a planes, trains and automobile type vacation going through or visiting 14 states. I need a really good travel piece that can also double as some walking support. I have lingering neuropathy(CIPN) in my toes and during long walks I have to be careful as I can stumble easily. I’ll be off balance a bit with my purse and a backpack so I want a really easy rolling suitcase that is also sturdy that I can get some balance and support from. Suggestions?
Look into LUG. They have wheeled carry on's and lots of other options. I have several pieces and use a LUG crossbody bag at Disney. Really like the organization. I purchased mine on QVC.com

I think that using a piece of luggage instead of a cane is going to be troublesome at best.

Two wheeled piece -- Often binds (fails to move) when you want it to roll.
Four wheeled piece -- Likely to roll out from under you at the wrong moment.

Many 4 wheeled suitcases won't hold as much stuff as non-wheeled suitcases that fit in the same allotted space. With lots of requirements it is harder to find something that satisfies all of those requirements.

Last edited:

If you get a backpack that slips over the bar of a wheeled bag would that help your balance? As opposed to carrying the backpack on your back.
Your best bet would be to "test drive" some wheeled bags and see what works. I had a 4 wheeled spinner that I loved but when I'd slide a bag over the handles it would sometimes overbalance and fall over (annoying and definitely NOT what you want!).
Right now I have a hard sided carry on spinner from Monos that I haven't travelled with yet (I opted for hard sided so that I could easily spray/ wipe it down). But I also have a 2 wheeled carry on from Briggs and Riley that is fantastic and very stable, might work well for your needs.
Mind you I did a lot of business travel pre covid, these bags are on the pricier side. But the B&R shows no signs of wear, has gone everywhere (including getting checked) and the wheels are great. Plus a lifetime warranty.

I second that "test drive" idea. Here is a tip to make that easy if you are shopping for luggage in a store that sells other things: visit the bedding section first. What I do is grab a few packages of sheets and take them with me to the luggage department. Packaged sheets are heavy, & you can easily slip them into luggage to simulate a fully-packed bag to test maneuverability. (Naturally, I *always* put the sheets back where they belong before leaving the store. Not doing that would be evil, LOL.)

If you want to lean on it while walking, only a 4-wheel bag will do. The key is to pack it carefully so that the heaviest items are riding over the wheels directly beneath the extension handle; that will help prevent tip-over. You may even have to add a couple of stone/ceramic weights to the lining to make sure of the balance aspect; taping in a couple of heavy ceramic tiles under the lining on either side of the extension handle would help, but be careful of the added weight. (And be prepared to deal with questions from TSA about any weights you place inside.)

Last edited:
My mom also uses her carryon as a thing to hold onto for balance. You will need a 4 wheeler. Important is that you realize they can roll away. Best bet is a clunky style that is more robust and very import an expandable handle that is actually hard to push back down. If you have an handle that is actually very easy and goes back in with the lightest touch that won’t work as well as one you have to fight with to get back in. my mom has a hard shell Rimova.

My mom also uses her carryon as a thing to hold onto for balance. You will need a 4 wheeler. Important is that you realize they can roll away. Best bet is a clunky style that is more robust and very import an expandable handle that is actually hard to push back down. If you have an handle that is actually very easy and goes back in with the lightest touch that won’t work as well as one you have to fight with to get back in. my mom has a hard shell Rimova.

Yes I agree. I just can't find ones that will let me know that the handle is sturdy and not one of those that will push down with some pressure. I do not need a cane so it won't be a lot of pressure, just to help me with balance. Geez it's so hard LOL I actually googled suitcase for the elderly (I'm only 51 lol)) thinking surely somebody else has needed this and what I found instead was a scooter/suitcase :rotfl2: I cannot imagine zipping up and down the train stations ON my suitcase.

Yes I agree. I just can't find ones that will let me know that the handle is sturdy and not one of those that will push down with some pressure. I do not need a cane so it won't be a lot of pressure, just to help me with balance. Geez it's so hard LOL I actually googled suitcase for the elderly (I'm only 51 lol)) thinking surely somebody else has needed this and what I found instead was a scooter/suitcase :rotfl2: I cannot imagine zipping up and down the train stations ON my suitcase.
I hope I’m explaining it so you understand what I’m meaning, but if you’re able to zoom and the suitcase picture you should see a raised button on the handle. Many suitcases in order to retract it back into the body you have to push the button and press. If you see one that doesn’t have a button assume it goes in really easy. Buttons can be on the top of the handle or underneath.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter