Wheelchair vs scooter

ahutton

WDW Bride Dec 6, 1996
I am left side paralyzed and planning our first trip that's more than a day. I currently use a manual wheelchair, but for almost a week I've reserved a scooter as I don't think I could self propel or that hubby wants to push. I've used a scooter cart at Costco and Walmart and it's imperfect as my left side can't participate in driving. I would appreciate any perspective, I'm a little scared. The scooter has an armrest but I'm nervous about safety and driving. Is the scooter really different than my chair. Anything I should know? I asked Buena Vista but did not get clear feedback, not sure my question was understood. What do you think? Yes, I've discussed with my doctor. He said be careful and have fun.

An ECV, a manual chair, and a power wheelchair have sone similarities but also a bunch of differences.

My left arm is effectively immobilized as fat as reaching is concerned, so I have direct, relevant expetience.

Usually, if self propelling an unmodified wheel with one arm one would end up going in a circle with the chair because energy isnt applied equally. There are sone tools or axle modifications that can help distribute energy a bit better to avoid this. Using only one hand would also generally limit the ability to tun rapidly, at least in the direction of the immobilized arm.

You can drive an ECV with one arm, but It is really helpful to have both arms available to steer an ECV because of how the steering yoke works-you are pulling down on one side to steer the ECV in one direction and pulling down (or pushing up) on the other side of the yoke to steer the other way.

Because you are accustomed to having only one arm, like myself It will be easier for you, but can still be a strain, especially when turning in the direction of the unused arm (pushing is harder than pulling, at least for me).

ECVs do not turn as quickly as wheelchairs. but the ridr is generally a little softer.

Power wheelchairs, which Disney does not rent onsite, but some offsite vendors do, are controlled with a joystick, not a yoke. They are not as intuitive to drive as the single stick is responsible both for acceleration and direction, but can be mounted on either arm and does not require reaching. The vendors that do rent them generally will only do so to individuals who are already familiar with the way they operate.

I don use my left arm either and have driven scooters no problem. The secret is, both throttles can be used to drive either forwards or backwards. If you PUSH the throttle in order to go forwards, then all you’ve got to do is PULL the same throttle to go backwards.

You need to go to your local mobility store. You could rent something there and take it with you. I'm an able-bodied human with a credit card who has rented a Whill more than once when chairs are in various states of repair. Like many chairs, the Whill is a one-hand joystick, and it can be put on either side.

I'm not saying you need to buy a Whill, but if you go to the store that sells Whill locally, you might be shocked what the options are, to buy and rent. It's very different even from a couple years ago.

I would not get a scooter if you need to transfer to a chair for the lines, I would bring a power chair, one way or another. You need something that can navigate the line.

I second going to your local mobility store. Tell them what your problems are and ask their advice. There are a lot of mobility aids not available even a few years ago. Whatever they recommend, you can probably rent for a day or two to get the feel of it. Grocery store carts are NOT the same as the usual ECVs you rent. The rental ones are much more responsive and maneuverable. Grocery store rides are your basic tanks -- they are built to be indestructible. simple enough to be used by everyone, and designed to just take you up and down straight aisles.

Once you find something you like, compare prices renting at your local mobility store vs renting in Orlando. It may well be cheaper to rent it locally, plus you will have it for getting around the airport. (More practice!) I gate check my scooter -- I ride it up to the plane door, then walk to my seat while they take it down and load it on the plane. (Mostly I gate check because I am paranoid about getting to Orlando and finding out my scooter did not.) This does rely on you being able to walk to your seat, though they do have special wheelchairs that fit between the aisles to take you to your seat. (But then you probably know that already.)

My experience at WDW is10 years out of date, but in most cases you will be able to go through the lines just fine. There may be problems at some of the Magic Kingdom rides where the rides are more dense and there was not room to retrofit the lines to accomodate scooters. Those will have a separate entrance. But be assured that WDW has a lot of experience dealing with scooters, and they are well aware that, due to the large size of the parks, some ECV users will be first time or otherwise inexperienced users. They have planned, laid things out, and trained their ride staff to get you around easily

One last thing -- if you get an ECV, you may have a choice between 3 wheel or 4 wheel. I prefer a 3 wheel, as it is more maneuverable, and can make tighter turns. My friend prefers a 4 wheel because it has more stability and she has balance problems.

The scooters at Walker Mobility that I used to rent are ambidextrous so you can use either hand to maneuver forward and reverse.

I've rented and ECV from Gold Mobility (and longer ago from Buena Vista) and both had the type of "throttle" that allowed you to go forwards or backwards by using a finger to push the tiller forward or backward. You can do that while having your hand on the steering area. I've sometimes operated the ECV this way because I get carpel tunnel and if my hand falls asleep I'll switch hands. I didn't spend loads of time doing this but I think if I had to I could do it without a problem...other than my hand falling asleep. You could use either hand as the same controls are on both sides. I'm not sure if every company that rents ECVs has the same sort of "tiller" that you can use with one hand and still steer the ECV...fyi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter